I tried to switch to Chrome (in lure of faster speed) from Opera but switched back in a day. For me Opera rocks due to these features:
- Speed Dial (Shortcuts to websites with snapshots which you can edit easily) - Ability to add as many as 25 websites!! (Not there in Chrome by default and adding it via an extension slows the browser down horribly)
- Sync with Opera Mini - All my favorites are in sync with my mobile device and it also gives me the ability to add some pages to Bookmarks on my cell phone (which are then synced up) and give me the ability to read later on my desktop browser.
- A list of recently closed tabs as an icon on the top with a drop down list on click - For instances when i close a tab accidentally so i can open it up right away without putting in the address again.
- Million times better menu system as compared to Chrome. Seems like Google just made a "core browser" but not a complete piece of software per se.
- Chrome only loads pages when the full website has loaded. Opera loads the basic navigation / core areas first so that i dont have to wait for any flash animations / other stuff to load and quickly click when need to go to a specific page / category of a website.
- Opera saves "form entry". For example this one that I am writing in the post box. In case i accidently press back button or forward button I can always come back to the page and the forms are already filled. Pretty handy in my opinion.
- Better skins / customization. There are some really amazing skins available for Opera on the website as compared to just color/wallpaper change in Chrome.
- Million times better download manager as compared to Chrome. Chrome's download manager sucks really bad. It doesn't support resuming, does not support restarting downloads, doesn't show you speed of download, doesnt show you website link from where you are downloading. In short its horrible in every way.
This is just a very short list. I could go on and on. . The only gripe i have with Opera though is that it wants to be "jack of all trades" kind of browser. It has a built in mail client, P2P client, torrent client, and RSS reader. So much so that you can call it an "Internet Suite" rather than a browser. I wish Opera would release a lite version of their browser so that it loads faster and performs even better. I am not Opera fan boy and i honestly say that their torrent manager really sucks and they should totally get rid of it.