Piracy is NOT Theft: Problems of a Nonsense Metaphor

^ Yeah, one of them is me... Now you'll ask why i do it then? Lets just say... :rolleyes: I like being a thief. :P

[quote=“Upsilon, post:21, topic:15948”]

^ Yeah, one of them is me… Now you’ll ask why i do it then? Lets just say… :rolleyes: I like being a thief. :P

[/quote]

No, you and I ‘think’ we like being a thief or whatever… Why?

Spector has some good explanation for that…

[quote=“Specter, post:19, topic:15948”]

^ No, it’s not lost sale. Because if I’m not allowed to “steal”, I’m not gonna buy it either.

Besides what was the last time you saw a popular foriegn record company release an album here? How exactly am I supposed to buy an album?

Or how am I supposed to make digital purchases without PayPal or a credit card?

Piracy, my friend, is the only way to go in Pakistan.

[/quote]

+ if it wasn’t for scene groups OR people buying stuff or obtain it legally or illegally abroad to upload or to ‘share’, we wouldn’t be able to download anything even if we want to. At least, I wouldn’t be able to cause I don’t download any pakistani carp ( which isn’t available anyway) and Indain Bullshyt (which I wouldn’t even mention what I think of it). Which also proves the stuff widely available for us and around the world to download has significant financial importance which is getting hit. Mainly because of uploaders.

So to me a person who upload anything which he/she doesn’t have right to (buying the stuff and then uploading, doesn’t give you a right either) for the first time on the internet is the actual thief/stealer and we, the downloaders around the world and accomplices in this crime.

[quote=", post:20, topic:15948"]

4 people think piracy as theft :ph34r:

[/quote]

Its ok if you don’t. World wouldn’t any better even if you did… :P

[quote=“Faisal, post:22, topic:15948”]

So to me a person who upload anything which he/she doesn’t have right to (buying the stuff and then uploading, doesn’t give you a right either) for the first time on the internet is the actual thief/stealer and we, the downloaders around the world and accomplices in this crime.
[/quote]

Not really. A person who buys something, can never be called a thief, as he bought it. It doesn’t matter if he/she afterwards illegally uploaded it anywhere or not.

We (or atleast I) are thieves, as we downloads stuff illegally without paying for them, thus we’re indirectly stealing from the developer/artist.

There isn’t really a correct answer to whether if piracy is theft or not. It’s all about our opinions & believes. B)

[quote=“Upsilon, post:24, topic:15948”]

Not really. A person who buys something, can never be called a thief, as he bought it. It doesn’t matter if he/she afterwards illegally uploaded it anywhere or not.

[/quote]

Yes the person can’t be called as thief or a pirate ‘until’ he/she shares it with public in any way. Try reading the instructions/disclaimer thingy on any of orignal CDs DVDs or BRs pressings of music, movie or any software etc. i.e. if you have any…

^ You're not getting me. I said he can't be "called" a thief. Which is correct even if he afterwards uploads it illegally on the internet.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
Noun: A person who steals another person's property, esp. by stealth and without using force or violence.
[/quote]

Thus a person, who buys something is NOT a thief no matter what he does later on.

P.S. I'm being literal here... If you know what that means. :P

Yes of course if you take this the 'literal way', that person can't technically be called as thief.

.....and That's exactly why the usual term is pirate.

Noun: pirate:

"Someone who uses another person's words or ideas as if they were his own"

[/quote]

And the reason for me using the word thief is because the word pirate is a type of...

Thief, stealer, spoiler. looter, ransacked, raider, plunderer, freebooter and much more.
[/quote]

So Pirate = Thief = stealer and so on.... oh and feel free to look it up too :D

P.S. See, I can do literal too .... and can still be correct when only ambiguity surrounds you whether if I Know what that means ... :P:D

So, you're saying that a person who buys something legally, automatically becomes a pirate/thief/stealer just because he uploaded it on the Internet?

Actually, that would be incorrect. Because that person, just uploaded his stuff on the Internet. If someone else downloads it, that's makes the downloaded a thief, as he's getting something for free, which he's supposed to pay for. So, logically, that does NOT make the original uploader a thief, as he just uploaded his stuff on the Internet, which he could've done just to make a backup or something like that... :P

P.S. I think neither of us is gonna stop this crap, so I'll just stop here. :rolleyes:

digital piracy prevents global warming/climate change so keep doing it and save the Earth :D

[quote=“armada, post:29, topic:15948”]

digital piracy prevents global warming/climate change so keep doing it and save the Earth :D

[/quote]

Hmm. I thought carbon dioxide abundance was the cause.

Interesting debate!

What piracy actually is? Its using someone's work without his/her permission causing him/her a financial loss. No matter what you name it, do you call it a civilized/legal/good act? If yes, then put yourself in position of a developer/singer/creator and then think again!

Precisely. I am a developer and I do not like people to use my work without my permission. It is easy to say that piracy is not theft but hard for those who see their work being used with no expense.

@blogger, That's exactly the point. Looking from a developer's point of view it might seem like theft but as the lawyer in the article argues, it technically isn't. I guess there's a fine line between piracy and theft, but they aren't exactly synonyms.

Interestingly, there seems to be more debate about such piracy, theft or not, is going to ultimately kill the internet through all these illegal downloads. That might be a bit far fetched but I can understand if a future artist decides not to pursue a career in the music industry or an actor in the film industry when they wouldn't have any monetary benefits from it - especially if it is their source of income.

These ideas might be coming from the US, but they will ultimately affect those of us in Pakistan when quality movies and albums wouldn't exist to pirate.

Faisal n Upsilon , both are stealer becz they both download up to 500 GB data in a month :lol: n most probably blu ray movies n games. :)

@Monty, Some would call them pirates rather than stealers :P

Interestingly enough, BBC ran an article today on the increase in pirated games:

The number of illegally downloaded video games has gone up nearly 20% in the last five years.

Industry executives are worried these figures mean a generation of people will expect to get games for free.

The video games industry says all piracy is theft and the answer lies in offering fairly-priced alternatives to illegal downloads. [http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/15627247]

[quote=“Monty, post:34, topic:15948”]

Faisal n Upsilon , both are stealer becz they both download up to 500 GB data in a month :lol: n most probably blu ray movies n games. :)

[/quote]

Well, no doubt about that… I mean there’s no point in denying. But having said that, I always try to keep the damage at minimum. Yes I download BR movie which also means that I have to wait from 2 to 6 months for a high rated movie to watch. Which also mean I am not interrupting the movie sale process until the BR comes out and I don’t encode the movie the spread it on the internet. So I am not the the real pirate here. and to me there’s difference between a pirate and a obtaining a content without paying for it.

And let me be clear here, even in those countries where piracy laws are implemented, there’s a difference between levels of piracy. The piracy laws and and punishment for a first time uploader or re-uploader (by downloading and re-submitting the content somewhere else so that more poeple can have access) and a download(er) resulting from that original upload or that re-submission, are different. An uploader would be fined in millions or may go to jail for years if caught as this is where the piracy of any particular content originated. where as a downloader would face a significantly less punishment.

I don’t play games so I am not involved in pirating or stealing the VG contents and that’s that. For movies, if its stealing or theft, I do it when a content is nearly at the end of its business cycle. But for music, I can ‘sometimes’ fall under the re-uploader category … but sometimes :)

Its bit complicated but there's no excuse.

[quote=“Monty, post:34, topic:15948”]

[/quote]

Yep. I keep doing them developers some favors every now & then. I mean the great Upsilon, testing their lame products for free. What more can they ask for? :P

But I’m not a complete pirate though. I buy things that i really like, that is if they’re easily available.

That's the problem.

I can't buy the stuff for which I am being accused of .... Some of them is available here but I know the source on them is still pirated. I don't wanna spent my money on counterfeit products.

Original content is expensive abroad and here (rarely found) but buying orignal content has all sorts of benefits abroad but diffidently not here.

Piracy is sharing, sharing is caring, its not theft. SCREW THE GOV AND BIG FILTHY GREEDY CORPORATIONS