New Forums

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Is Worldcall famous/good enough to have its own thread like the other ISPs? :lol:
[/quote]

WEll i dont think soo

cuz no one is satisfied with their service

…Saad Ibrahim…
[/quote]

I support this nomination (but where is he).

Is it safe to keep our previous passwords or they are the property of 'unwanted guest' now ?

Passwords are hashed before being stored in the DB so I reckon everyone is safe though it is always better to use strong passwords.

Is it safe to keep our previous passwords or they are the property of ‘unwanted guest’ now ?
[/quote]

Although, passwords are one-way encrypted with usually MD5. However, contrary to common believe, MD5 is reversible (though not yet that common).

However, as Asad suggested, use long and strong password. Common sense is that make sure it is not the same password as with your email (especially for the email you use to register with this forum). :)

Stay secure!

Fe-Aman Allah.

its good to be back, the new forum layout looks sexy and clean.

I lost my post-count though :-S

oh, and can the Admins plz decrease the 60sec gap limit to 30 or may be 15 secs plz.

Salams Everyone. Glad the forum is back up. It was very unfortunate but the Google and Yahoo backups are some hope. Point is that all the info that we shared though lost here is available to others though the search engines.

On another note I vote for Saad as mod too! After all he was replying to every single thread trying to get his number of total posts up and well of dem gone! :( Special condolences to Saad!

;)

Take care and perhaps we can advertise the forum in the paper to increase it's popularity if we all pool in a bit. I'd gladly chip in !

P.s

I'd like to make a suggestion. The sticky's are useful however they get so huge that's it becomes very difficult to get the info that you want from them. If the mods could only keep the useful info in the sticky's and filter all the useless info out they would be much more helpful and easier to navigate. Wateen, Linkdotnet etc are getting to be such huge threads that they should be divided into Wateen help, Wateen reviews, Wateen Misc. Same with Linkdotnet and all others threads that threaten to grow out of proportion. If anyone has an issue they want help fast, most people don't have the patience or the time to go though 10,000 lines of text to find the solution.

Good to see WP back, the new forum looks more elegant as compared to the previous one. Hopefully, we'll be right on track in short span of time(INSHALLAH).

@Abbas:

If there is something important in the thread, it will be linked to in the first post. That way, if the issue is covered and has some significance, people will only need to see the first post.

I have a backup of majority of the pages from the older Wateen thread. I will be posting relevant stuff from there in the Wateen thread.

I opened the site around 9:30AM and by then, the forum was hacked, so it must be before that.

[/quote]

In that case, it should be before 27th January, 23:30 -5 GMT, and therefore cannot be traced from the logs currently provided by KO; they start from [28/Feb/2008:02:53:36 -0500] as latest. Are there any older logs?

I have read what waqas posted, but I believe none of those caused it. The PHP code embedded in them contain no exploit for PunBB, and many of them resulted in 404 errors as well. It’s normal for such bots to keep trying random exploits; sometimes even for the wrong software.

This is sad. But anyway, we rise from the ashes and go on. :)

This new version looks better, too. But I think its missing the Quick Reply...

EDIT: whoops, didn't see the quick reply there... hehe

I don't know about the history of PunBB security compared to PhpBB, but I would say that PhpBB has a much wider community base, and they release patches and any other security info really quick, and I have used many PhpBB forums which open just as fast as PunBB.

As a suggestion, It'll be great if users could log in through SSL, and the SSL certificate of the server can be shared for wiredpakistan even if it wasn't issued for it (It gives a warning in FF, but still encryption works). It seems however that the SSL certificate of the web server is not properly installed ("ssl_error_rx_record_too_long" error), so it'll be great if the hosting guys could be asked to fix this up.

A problem I have been facing is the interoperability of cookies between the www. and non-www url, i.e. www.wiredpakistan.com and wiredpakistan.com. The latter displays me as logged off.

The solution is to set cookies using .wiredpakistan.com as the domain name. I think these settings can be done from the admin cp of punBB.

Asalam u Alikum

Best of Luck with new forum

well this new forum looks Good

Welcome back guys !

Some people are reposting posts from threads in the old forum. Can you guys please stop doing that. Its getting very confusing as to who said what. And I don't think its necessary unless the information is critically important. If this continues threads will be impossible to follow.

NOooooo! I thought I could retire after finishing my

1000 posts here. Get my provident fund and retire

in the south of france. Alas, not to be. *sigh* ;)

But seriously, that, it was a great loss, goes without

saying. Thanks to our hardworking mods and enter-

prising members, we might be able to get some of the

golden threads back.

Its sad that there are people (and I use the term loosely)

out there who only have mayhem and destruction to

offer. Terrorists usually claim some higher purpose behind

their carnage, but hackers who destroy, have only their

petty personal agendas. That puts them in the utterly

pathetic 'punk' category. But no punk, or overreaching

bureaucrat can take away the most precious and important

asset of WP, which are it's members.

I am certain, like most others here, that we shall all come

out of this tragedy more stronger and wiser, inshallah.

Sheikh 'Back With A Vengeance' Chilli

PS: Forum looks cool.

Some people are reposting posts from threads in the old forum. Can you guys please stop doing that. Its getting very confusing as to who said what. And I don’t think its necessary unless the information is critically important. If this continues threads will be impossible to follow.
[/quote]

I apologize for doing this on the telekinesis topic(which on a side note caused pain in my shoulders due to editing for better viewing). I just though that someone who is reading it for the first time, or even someone who has posted, would like to see old posts. I didn’t know it would be this much “bad” to do.

I’d like to make a suggestion. The sticky’s are useful however they get so huge that’s it becomes very difficult to get the info that you want from them. If the mods could only keep the useful info in the sticky’s and filter all the useless info out they would be much more helpful and easier to navigate. Wateen, Linkdotnet etc are getting to be such huge threads that they should be divided into Wateen help, Wateen reviews, Wateen Misc. Same with Linkdotnet and all others threads that threaten to grow out of proportion. If anyone has an issue they want help fast, most people don’t have the patience or the time to go though 10,000 lines of text to find the solution.
[/quote]

Yes, they grew too long and unwieldy… different thread for reviews, technical network details, would be good.

the new look is cool>>i was sorry to see that all the data collected in this forum had been wiped out>>nevertheless iam happy to see that a forum where a lot of my questions have been answered (and where i was able to offer my own humble opinions on matters of tech in pakistan) is back up>>the strength of these forums is its members and those willing to help others>>

++never give up never surrender++