NEPRA issues new power tarriff for Karachiites

^true but the thing that bothers me is that in few years we will have gas shortage then.

@kuya I agree [saaD] was being optimistic

we have plenty of gas reserves but they have not been properly utilised infact i bet they will probably sell them off like the Riko dig project which has the world largest Diamond and Gold reserves in balochistan..

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I don’t believe in this government subsidizing @$#^& … Running a gas generator is much cheaper than KESC !

And by the way - only Karachi is facing this increase in electricity charges and not other cities

[/quote]

it sure is cheap because a home consumer use is being subsidized by other consumer i.e industrial consumers. Also, try providing the gas generated electricity to the whole city. you need to hire people, rent office space etc your expenses will increase.

check the NEPRA tariff decisions for more info on the cost and tariff for individual companies. same info for the sngpl and ssgc can be found on OGRA websites. You will be better informed.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

we have plenty of gas reserves but they have not been properly utilised infact i bet they will probably sell them off like the Riko dig project which has the world largest Diamond and Gold reserves in balochistan…
[/quote]

we have a max of 25 years of gas reserves left. This is an optimistic figure since it does not take into account the increase in future demand. Having said that our daily production is not enough to cater for the increased winter demand of the domestic consumers who are given priority over other consumers. Decreased gas supplies in addition to reduced water availability for electricity generation will cause massive load shedding in the coming winter.

Now the good news. Decreased oil prices have reduced monetary pressure on the Government and we may be able to buy oil for thermal plants for generating electricity, which will reduce the load shedding but wont eliminate it altogether.

We desperately need gas from Iran but they have indicated that they want its price to be linked with international market price. So my friends you will have gas but it wont be cheap and have to pay for it.

My question is WHY Karachi? Why doesn't the rest of the country pay as much as we do? Why do they get cheaper electricity whlie we have to pay far more? Being the revenue generating city and the place which actually fuel's Pakistan's economy, we should actually get subsidized rates, instead of paying more than the rest of the country!?