"Increase Battery Life" Solution

[quote=“nasirjavaid, post:20, topic:20990”]

Hey bro, Yes deionized water is best for topping up battery when water level is low. But when SG is low then we can add electrolyte to maintain SG..

Note: Pyro is not ACID... its ELECTROLYTE and adding it has no harm..

[/quote]

I don't know what Pyro is... but what is difference btw "Battery ACID" and electrolyte ? What is the difference btw a "low water level" and "low SG" ? :P ^_^

Instead of asking advice from local battery wala, read manuals written by world renowned battery manufactures...

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I was in top ten in my class when it came to chemistry ... even had my own home lab.

[/quote]

[/quote]

There you go...

According to Pyro website

Pyro Battery Electrolyte is purified sulfuric acid solution

[/quote]

http://www.pyro.com.pk/

Hey bro, Yes deionized water is best for topping up battery when water level is low. But when SG is low then we can add electrolyte to maintain SG..

[/quote]

Seriously?

just like the champion of chemistry just told you above very clearly with references, all acids are Electrolytes,, a neutral solution is not , but ionized solution is electrolyte..and those used for battery are acids..mainly sulphuric acid.

as for ""SG"" its written like Sp.G so that majority of people can understand.. SG could mean anything from military to a company name or a product series.

and when Sp. gravity is low, that is because of undercharged battery, fault being of your ups.not acid...

we had never ever changed any acid of our batteries or topped them up..just added a little water once or twice a year on our setups.. and all batteries lasted atleast 3 years.

Never ever add electrolyte to an operational battery. You will increase the concentration of acid in the electrolyte and cause the increased acid to attack your battery plates and consequently reduce battery life.

Unless you have a very clear understanding of the chemistry of the reaction that goes on inside a lead acid battery your safest bet is to just add water if the level falls below the top of the cells.

Aurangzeb

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:23, topic:20990”]

Seriously?

just like the champion of chemistry just told you above very clearly with references, all acids are Electrolytes,, a neutral solution is not , but ionized solution is electrolyte..and those used for battery are acids..mainly sulphuric acid.

as for ""SG"" its written like Sp.G so that majority of people can understand.. SG could mean anything from military to a company name or a product series.

and when Sp. gravity is low, that is because of undercharged battery, fault being of your ups.not acid...

we had never ever changed any acid of our batteries or topped them up..just added a little water once or twice a year on our setups.. and all batteries lasted atleast 3 years.

[/quote]

Hey man, electrolyte is 64% water and 36% acid (if I am not wrong). Hence putting pure salphuric acid is prohibited.

dear very funny explanation of SG :D .... ok spg of my battery was low even after fully charged and if it was ups fault then it shouldn't have become better after adding electrolyte...right?

here you may find the detailed info..

www.pakwheels.com/forums/electrical-wiring-battery-lights/153379-maintaining-ups-car-batteries

[quote=“yousaf465, post:21, topic:20990”]

I don't know what Pyro is... but what is difference btw "Battery ACID" and electrolyte ? What is the difference btw a "low water level" and "low SG" ? :P ^_^

Instead of asking advice from local battery wala, read manuals written by world renowned battery manufactures...

I was in top ten in my class when it came to chemistry ... even had my own home lab.

[/quote]

Hahaha... no worries if you don't know pyro... but I am not talking about BATTERY acid... I was talking about ACID and ELECTROLYTE ....electrolyte=64%water+36%acid

www.pakwheels.com/forums/electrical-wiring-battery-lights/153379-maintaining-ups-car-batteries

[quote=“nasirjavaid, post:26, topic:20990”]

Hahaha... no worries if you don't know pyro... but I am not talking about BATTERY acid... I was talking about ACID and ELECTROLYTE ....electrolyte=64%water+36%acid

[/quote]

According to wikipedia ;)

Mass fraction

H2SO4

Density

(kg/L)

Concentration

(mol/L)

Common name

10%

~1

dilute sulfuric acid

29–32%

1.25–1.28

4.2–5

battery acid

(used in lead–acid batteries)

[/quote]

So you see "electrolyte" and battery acid are the two different name for the same liquid.

I did went through that link yesterday. He is mostly correct but adding acid to an old battery will

Thus it is just waste of time + sulfuric acid is not something to play around with. I have my own personal experience with HCl and Nitric acid, what damage they are capable of. H2SO4 is much more dangerous than both.

So just check battery water level every 2-3weeks and top it up with "distilled water" if required. You can buy it either from the sources given in that link or from any college lab (it is used regularly in Chemistry, Biochemistry and other such labs)

[quote=“yousaf465, post:27, topic:20990”]

According to wikipedia ;)

So you see "electrolyte" and battery acid are the two different name for the same liquid.

I did went through that link yesterday. He is mostly correct but adding acid to an old battery will

Thus it is just waste of time + sulfuric acid is not something to play around with. I have my own personal experience with HCl and Nitric acid, what damage they are capable of. H2SO4 is much more dangerous than both.

So just check battery water level every 2-3weeks and top it up with "distilled water" if required. You can buy it either from the sources given in that link or from any college lab (it is used regularly in Chemistry, Biochemistry and other such labs)

[/quote]

Yes man thats what I am talking.... ACID is different than BATTERY ACID(electrolyte) ... glad you understand :P....

adding ACID in batter will definitly increase sp.G but what differenc does it make if you pour 1 cup of electrolyte out of battery and then pour back?? electrolyte inside the battery and the one from Pyro are same so it shouldn't hurt if I take out some and pour pyro in...and thats what I did.

Cheers!

@yousaf465

Let us wait for a "New battery advice needed" thread..:)

[quote=“nasirjavaid, post:28, topic:20990”]

Yes man thats what I am talking.... ACID is different than BATTERY ACID(electrolyte) ... glad you understand :P....

adding ACID in batter will definitly increase sp.G but what differenc does it make if you pour 1 cup of electrolyte out of battery and then pour back?? electrolyte inside the battery and the one from Pyro are same so it shouldn't hurt if I take out some and pour pyro in...and thats what I did.

Cheers!

[/quote]

Read what I said ;) :lol:

[quote="yousaf465, post:27, topic:20990"]

[/quote]

:D