F-16 Ducted Fan Jet

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Please mention its weight and the required know how for a noob to fly these toys.

[/quote]

AUW should be 500-600g.

I do plan to add some yellow/orange LEDs for adding an afterburner effect to it (depending on measurement of throttle pulse width using a customized circuit) when I get the time to patch the circuit. It should be an interesting mod.

This should ideally be a modeler’s 4th or 5th airplane. It doesn’t have rudder by default and is controlled via ailerons, elevators and throttle, i.e. it is a three channel airplane. Since it is a fast airplane, it si not recommended for beginners.

wow fantastic ! i want this thing : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4HXlGtNwws to scare the $#^& out of my neighbours lol
[/quote]

These type of airplanes are also available. They have a tendency to tip stall at low speeds.

^ Why F-9 park?
[/quote]

place of ur choice than …

place of ur choice than …

[/quote]

Will do so in the coming few weeks when I get enough time. :)

These type of airplanes are also available. They have a tendency to tip stall at low speeds.

[/quote]

is it legal to fly these aircrafts ? and one have to learn something hard to fly them ? i am preparing to buy f15 from nitro planes and will fly it in my village in abbottabad

well done Asad, your plane looks very cool....

i read somewhere else that you were working to make a plane,,, so here it is.... its amazing man...

After June i will be working on the same project.... I, in advance want to say kindly help me when i mail you... :)

+

A suggestion: Add a Pakistani Flag's sticker on it , and on your video as well on Youtube :)

^ You can bet this is legal. :)

People at the Islamabad Aeromedelling Club (IAC) try to make the point that it is not legal except for those granted "clearance from the Presidency" a.k.a their "yes sir" members but it s a sham aided by the President's ties to influential people, scaremongering and abuse of position by said influential people - inevitable in the Pakistani democracy. Their lies and deceit are the reasons I joined the other club. Sorry, but this is a very sore point with me - I hate the level of abuse of position and misuse of authority that happened there and the negative effects it has had on pure hobbyists who just want to have some fun.

Anyway, getting right down to your queries, it is perfectly legal but you ARE liable for any harm or injury that may arise from your operating these radio controlled airplanes and/or helis. That is pretty standard internationally and it is best to fly these things away from population and crowded places.

The difficulty curve in learning to fly these things is dependent on your own knowledge and existing skill. You must be familiar with the general parts of an aircraft, understand the concepts on how it works (lift, drag, stall, etc) and it is better to have some experience on a r/c simulator like Realflight G4/4.5/5, etc. A free simulator is FMS.

Practicing on a simulator helps save a lot of money by helping you learn without going through expensive crashes. Once you feel competent enough, you can go to any local flying field and ask the people there for help. The help can range from advice on selection of appropriate plane/heli, assistance with first few flights, selection and/or tuning of power system, recommendations for local retailers, etc. BTW, if any one is interested in joining a proper club, I can assist with putting you into contact with MAC in Islamabad. There is MAAL in Lahore and others in Karachi.

Now, to the question of your purchase, stop immediately and state what experience you have with radio controlled aircraft, if any at all? These are not toys (even though they may appear to be like them) and if you are not familiar on how to control one of these, you can seriously injure yourself or someone else. Larger models have been known to kill people accidentally. If you are new to the hobby, you may as well fly for 3-4 seconds before it kisses the ground - hard!

Further, you should first try the local shops. They have some good basic trainer models (foam/balsa) which are ideal for learning to fly. Once you master them, there are others which you may opt for. This way, you progress and learn about different types of airplanes.

If you are comfortable and secure in your control of these, you can buy the exotic airplanes (kinda like the F-16) from elsewhere (other than US). The prices are much lower and the items cost lesser for shipment and customs.

If you have any more queries, feel free to post 'em.

It is perfectly legal but you ARE liable for any harm or injury that may arise from your operating these radio controlled airplanes and/or helis. That is pretty standard internationally and it is best to fly these things away from population and crowded places.

The difficulty curve in learning to fly these things is dependent on your own knowledge and existing skill. You must be familiar with the general parts of an aircraft, understand the concepts on how it works (lift, drag, stall, etc) and it is better to have some experience on a r/c simulator like Realflight G4/4.5/5, etc. A free simulator is FMS.

Practicing on a simulator helps save a lot of money by helping you learn without going through expensive crashes. Once you feel competent enough, you can go to any local flying field and ask the people there for help. The help can range from advice on selection of appropriate plane/heli, assistance with first few flights, selection and/or tuning of power system, recommendations for local retailers, etc. BTW, if any one is interested in joining a proper club, I can assist with putting you into contact with MAC in Islamabad. There is MAAL in Lahore and others in Karachi.

Now, to the question of your purchase, stop immediately and state what experience you have with radio controlled aircraft, if any at all? These are not toys (even though they may appear to be like them) and if you are not familiar on how to control one of these, you can seriously injure yourself or someone else. Larger models have been known to kill people accidentally. If you are new to the hobby, you may as well fly for 3-4 seconds before it kisses the ground - hard!

Further, you should first try the local shops. They have some good basic trainer models (foam/balsa) which are ideal for learning to fly. Once you master them, there are others which you may opt for. This way, you progress and learn about different types of airplanes.

If you are comfortable and secure in your control of these, you can buy the exotic airplanes (kinda like the F-16) from elsewhere (other than US). The prices are much lower and the items cost lesser for shipment and customs.

well done Asad, your plane looks very cool....

i read somewhere else that you were working to make a plane,,, so here it is.... its amazing man...

[/quote]

Not exactly making a plane. I have some other projects in mind but they are not conventional ones. One of my trainer plane is down for repairs and another (pattern plane) is midway through assembly.

After June i will be working on the same project.... I, in advance want to say kindly help me when i mail you... :)
[/quote]

Sure.

A suggestion: Add a Pakistani Flag's sticker on it , and on your video as well on Youtube :)

[/quote]

I intend to do a PAF camo on it but first... to get it airborne.

WP2.jpg

Wingtips aren't installed yet as should be evident.

WP3.jpg

Fan housing, 5 blade ducted prop and the motor.

Thx for correcting that its not a toy. :)

I tried setting up a possible demo of the afterburner idea I mentioned. Pics below:

WP4.jpg

The effect as it would seem from a nearby indirect line of sight.

WP5.jpg

The effect as it would seem from afar - the way it really matters while the airplane is flying. The tail stabilizer is off for now. The glow seems real enough! :D

WP6.jpg

And what actually is happening inside. Loosely fitted LEDs for the demonstration but it should be much more tidier and better secured when properly installed. It has to be for it to sustain air passing by at 70-100 mph. :o

Thx for correcting that its not a toy. :)
[/quote]

Others might take it as a joke, as something inconsequential but I can’t stress enough how important this particular point is.

You can search for videos of various accidents involving R/C models.

^

Totally agreed with you boss!

How much does it cost to get started with this hobby?

Also what exactly do you get by flying the plane? I mean is it just the thrill or can you actually do something with the plane? Have you tried mounting a camera on it for aerial photographs? Or perhaps a hellfire missile or two :)

What sort of aerial photography it gonna do at such a fast speed? May be it could be possible on some low speed if they support.

How much does it cost to get started with this hobby?
[/quote]

Depends on the options you choose. Cheapest is an RTF foamy which is simple to fly and stable in flight. A step further are IC engines in the 46 size. If you are the type who likes to tinker, you can go for electrics in large size (46 equivalent).

Also what exactly do you get by flying the plane? I mean is it just the thrill or can you actually do something with the plane? Have you tried mounting a camera on it for aerial photographs? Or perhaps a hellfire missile or two :)
[/quote]

You get to enjoy your hobby just like any other sports or hobby. Also, if you are actually interested in airplanes and interested in learning about their behavior, it is rewarding in that sense too where you can tinker and experiment to your heart’s content.

The camera stuff is called FPV (google it) and while it is an option, it is only suitable for larger sized airplanes. It is not recommended for beginners due to numerous reasons.

Missile launching (drop bombs) is also a possibility but it is suitable for 46 size or larger airplanes due to weight and aerodynamic considerations. It is reputed to be fun to do on a lazy evening. :D

What sort of aerial photography it gonna do at such a fast speed? May be it could be possible on some low speed if they support.
[/quote]

This airplane is not suitable for such an endeavor. It is too fast moving, it is too small and unstable for AP equipment.

hey u could go to any airbase and fly there. i think i once saw someone fly an rc heli at qasim airbase here in pindi.

im more interested in choppers. never got the time though.

WP4.jpg

WP5.jpg

WP6.jpg

[/quote]

:o This show is really graceful, pretty real…

Adding on rokra’s comment

Asad; please tell me that how much knowledge of electronics and electrical components is needed for that… I am really interested in this kind of stuff… but only hard time couldn’t let me do any thing. I don’t know if even I could start to do it or not… But I still will want to know that how much one needs to assemble the components or any thing else needed to do that…

You mentioned that it depends about the cost. How much then it has cost you till now? and how much it has been completed, if to be told in percentage?