Buying a Smartphone

[quote=“deffury, post:17, topic:14657”]

bro no offence but if you call,play,game,wifi,watch vids for 8 hours then any handset would seem to have issues with battery

FYI, Blackberry aint for entertainment purposes and Symbian lacks apps as compared to aforementioned sets

[/quote]

if you can’t do any thing with your device, then why any one paying too much for the such type of crap. i mean to say, you can get high end laptop for RS 50k that can do almost every thing. but a mobile phone costing to RS 50k+ and its battery lasts only MAX of 8 hours. Entertainment is not every thing, you are not buying phone only to take it in your hands. if your phone have wifi feature and you are not enjoying it then why you are paying for that feature? if your device have 8MP camera with HD video recording and you are not using it, then why don’t you get separate digital cam for RS 10k ???

as i said before, the Symbian OS is one of the best software that consume less battery as compare to others…

think, if you lost in desert during your trip, and you need to use built in GPS and your battery runs out in just 2 hours??? then what?

i use Nokia N95 8GB, Nokia E72 and E71 GPS from Islamabad to Faisalabad (4 continuous hours) and Islamabad to Lahore ( 5 hours) and battery gave me no LOW signals… and i travel with HTC DESIRE HD from Faisalabad to Islamabad and battery runs out completely. have you any such type of experience???

BTW, did you try any Android powered handset ever???

^ This is analogous to "since BMW consumes more fuel than a Mehran, so BMW is bad"

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
i mean to say, you can get high end laptop for RS 50k that can do almost every thing. but a mobile phone costing to RS 50k+ and its battery lasts only MAX of 8 hours.
[/quote]

Tell me any laptop which has a battery life of >8 hours or even 8 hours ? Compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges, we are talking smartphones.

as i said before, the Symbian OS is one of the best software that consume less battery as compare to others...
[/quote]

Put Symbian on Desire HD and you will have same battery life as with Android.

if you lost in desert during your trip, and you need to use built in GPS and your battery runs out in just 2 hours???? then what?
[/quote]

Battery will die eventually whatever phone you have. Does Symbian have infinite battery life ?

Actually it is the hardware which consumes battery, modern smart phones have much additional sensors which your favorite E71 /E72 don't have. For example touch sensing layer on LCD, rotation sensors, proximity sensors etc.

Finally the modern smartphones have much faster processors and large displays which both contribute to more battery consumption.

[quote=“aftab1003, post:21, topic:14657”]

if you can’t do any thing with your device, then why any one paying too much for the such type of crap. i mean to say, you can get high end laptop for RS 50k that can do almost every thing. but a mobile phone costing to RS 50k+ and its battery lasts only MAX of 8 hours. Entertainment is not every thing, you are not buying phone only to take it in your hands. if your phone have wifi feature and you are not enjoying it then why you are paying for that feature? if your device have 8MP camera with HD video recording and you are not using it, then why don’t you get separate digital cam for RS 10k ???

as i said before, the Symbian OS is one of the best software that consume less battery as compare to others…

think, if you lost in desert during your trip, and you need to use built in GPS and your battery runs out in just 2 hours??? then what?

i use Nokia N95 8GB, Nokia E72 and E71 GPS from Islamabad to Faisalabad (4 continuous hours) and Islamabad to Lahore ( 5 hours) and battery gave me no LOW signals… and i travel with HTC DESIRE HD from Faisalabad to Islamabad and battery runs out completely. have you any such type of experience???

BTW, did you try any Android powered handset ever???

[/quote]

well bro you are completely and utterly wrong…

I totally agree with what Ijaz Ahmad just said…

i am sure your n95 , e71 , e72 dont have a giga herz processor and 512mbs of ram or even a dual core processor and a gig of ram… and doesnt runs as smooth as the lastest smartphones…

Please stop being a Symbian Fanboy… i have used it for like 5 years… and never really LOVED the OS… yeh i liked it cuz it was the only affordable thing but… constant crashes… poor memory management… shiitty softwares… i was soo done with it… God knows you cant even browse web properly on symbian… or do anything… everything crashes…

and you cant compare the hardware of those old phones with the new kickarse phones… you cant compare a Bugati to mehran and say that my mehran goes from Gujranwala to Lahore in 300rs CNG while the Bugati burns 300RS fuel while just warming up… you get the comfort and speed on bugati for the price of more fuel consumption… same case here… more price… more battery juice consumed by giga hertz or dual core giga herts procesors… more power… more features… smooth running…

now the 4.3" of SAMOLED+ displays and you want them to go on forever , its not like those fakeass 320x240 displays whose picture quality sucked…

you talking about GPS… i BET you here… SYMBIAN takes 5 times more time than the latest androids to SYNC with the satellites… its like waiting for ever… and sucks even more if you are moving or near some buildings…

bro think reasonably… and quit folowing an OS which is already dead…

peace out

@aftab1003

Surely there are several factors which drains battery as unusual which you don't like

But if the battery itself is perfectly alright then it depends on the software which operates the phone (don't talk about laptops)

As well the other softwares which you run into the phone on your own choice, make sure they are good with battery.

most importantly - If you consider battery then don't compare Android with older Symbian phones. Try a new Symbian^3 and then compare.

Symbian was completely written in C++ and was really a mature Operating System from within the Core of it that made the battery management truly desirable. But remind you that it didn't have such a User Interface with resource taking graphics - Which is not the case now in today's smartphones. If you liked and want a user interface like in Android or iOS you have to compromise or choose a ROM for Android which consumes less battery

And please Guys - As you can't compare mangoes and oranges, exactly like that you can't compare old with new

I mentioned to compare with Symbian^3 because a Symbian^3 with Qt has a lot more like new age apps - Then you will be good to compare the battery timings. The batteries in N8, C7 and E7 will also drain quickly if you play those games on these devices with other things you mentioned. Of course S60 couldn't even play those games, in fact there were not those games for S60.

Batteries in all current Symbian^3 devices are only 1200mAh but still due to less interactive user interface having lesser graphics in system software they live a few hours more. e.g. an N8 with all your mentioned usage will go to sleep in around 10 to 12 hours. Consider Qt based apps and then check the battery timings. you get 8 to 10 hours.

However not-surprisingly and undoubtedly Nokia is still good with battery management - I have used both Androids and Symbian^3 - But Wait! to see what could Nokia do with WP7 because it all depends on Microsoft now.

Another thing is what you call smoothness. It is not comparable between a Touchscreen and Non-Touchscreen device. Because mostly I saw people liking the scrolling in a touchscreen phone and checking how much it's smooth. But N95 N71 etc are not of that type. and no doubt w the S60v5 as Nokia's failure and it really was in compare to iOS and Android... Which made the people bashing the Symbian including me.

PS: Keep your mind not a fan type. Evaluate the things and criticize if you feel about it without considering that it's the brand you ever liked.

@aftab1003

again reminding you about SGS-2 - battery is really appreciable. get one before you loose and pre-orders go off.

If you are not interested and want from Nokia then don't get older than N8 or C7.

[removed - double posted - sorry]

Samsung galaxy s2 is best android phone at this time....