Best Anti Virus Software?

It's not an email thing. It's a bunch of registry things you have to alter.

PM me your email... or rather, email me via the forum, and I'll post it (I'm on dialup, and well... do try imagining the fright that I go through in trying to navigate the forum with several windows open :P)

PS: that message applies to whoever needs that patch thingi...

In short, it's a registry edit function in a .reg file.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

But I think you should try Avast and download it from www.avast.com free. it is free and powerful
[/quote]

Avast also scan virus at boot time and it can detect virus and delete or repair before actual window startup.

Oh - and another thing: Kaspersky and NOD share the top spot (depends on which survey you look at).

But here are a few things to remember:

Kaspersky’s on-access scan is good (i.e. it searches many file types), while NOD32’s doesn’t (not as many, but still, sizeable… Kaspersky beats here).

NOD32’s heuristics scan is known industry-wide to be the best (check the internet for claims), Kaspersk’y heuristics capability isn’t very good (and it’s basically the heuristics that saves you before the definitions come out).

Kaspersky - it’s difficult to get a working key (but I have a patch-type thing that lets you reset your 30 days trial). NOD32 has a patch that let’s you use v3 for almost 40 years (till 2050)

Kaspersky can get a little bloated, but it’s functionality is good. NOD32 v3 is now slicker (and definitely better than it’s predecessors). Trust me, I’ve done ALOT of experimentation with antivirus programs :)

Kaspersky has an issue when it comes to false-positives (and it happened twice with me). Definition updates tend to fix it, but you never know when a safe file is regarded as a virus, and when a virus is regarded as safe.

NOD32 has failed 3 out of the 35 (or so) tests that were conducted, the lowest in the industry (I think it’s Virus Bulletin that conducted the survey… can’t remember… you’ll have to check it).

There you go. It’s your choice now.

[/quote]

ya a very accurate survey good job

i myself have experienced nod to be lacking behind in realtime access scan

Not real-time. NOD is very good in real-time scan - and that's where it beats Kaspersky (since it doesn't scan all compressed files in depth... it'll scan the "outer layer" but it won't scan the individual files in it... however, if and when you execute the compressed file (which can be executables), NOD scans it then)

Kaspersky isn't as accurate and good in it's real-time scans, but it is better when it comes to file scanning (as it can read a greater number of archives/file formats esp. compressed files).

If you ask for my personal opinion, I'm sticking to NOD. Less number of false positives, and it's realtime access scan, is much better than it's file scanner. Kaspersky's file scanner is better than it's realtime scanner.

For me, real-time scanning is more important. A virus that doesn't run can stay safely in my PC... since it's not doing anything! And besides, Kaspersky isn't good when it comes to USB virus removal (my observation; I've noted it a couple of times). NOD is good, even if the definitions are roughly 6 months old.

Again - the questions are:

1) are you looking for an antivirus that detects false-positives? (note that false positives get fixed AFTER a definition database update) Kaspersky is known for false positives (not many, but yes, compared with NOD which is very, very little... never heard from NOD about false positives though).

2) is real time scanning more important to you or is file-scanning (archive types) more important to you? (Kaspersky = more file formats... not related with virus definitions. NOD = good scanning overall, not many file formats supported for file scanning, but compensated during the runtime scan).

3) Can you easily find a crack for the antivirus programs? :D

After considering Q1 and 2, I've stuck with NOD. I switched to Kaspersky (6 and 7) in between... but Kaspersky started eating my system resources (and then, a lovely Windows format took place since it was time for my annual dusting...).

And updating Kaspersky's definitions (over dialup) is a pain!

Anyone want to ask more?

But keep Q1 and 2 in mind. And I'll repeat it once more: I'm sticking to NOD32 (and it has a fairly decent firewall in it too :D)

well i have experienced that nod32 sometimes doesn't detects few selected virus at all

btw i am sticking to nod32

Not real-time. NOD is very good in real-time scan - and that’s where it beats Kaspersky (since it doesn’t scan all compressed files in depth… it’ll scan the “outer layer” but it won’t scan the individual files in it… however, if and when you execute the compressed file (which can be executables), NOD scans it then)

Kaspersky isn’t as accurate and good in it’s real-time scans, but it is better when it comes to file scanning (as it can read a greater number of archives/file formats esp. compressed files).

If you ask for my personal opinion, I’m sticking to NOD. Less number of false positives, and it’s realtime access scan, is much better than it’s file scanner. Kaspersky’s file scanner is better than it’s realtime scanner.

For me, real-time scanning is more important. A virus that doesn’t run can stay safely in my PC… since it’s not doing anything! And besides, Kaspersky isn’t good when it comes to USB virus removal (my observation; I’ve noted it a couple of times). NOD is good, even if the definitions are roughly 6 months old.

Again - the questions are:

1) are you looking for an antivirus that detects false-positives? (note that false positives get fixed AFTER a definition database update) Kaspersky is known for false positives (not many, but yes, compared with NOD which is very, very little… never heard from NOD about false positives though).

2) is real time scanning more important to you or is file-scanning (archive types) more important to you? (Kaspersky = more file formats… not related with virus definitions. NOD = good scanning overall, not many file formats supported for file scanning, but compensated during the runtime scan).

3) Can you easily find a crack for the antivirus programs? :D

After considering Q1 and 2, I’ve stuck with NOD. I switched to Kaspersky (6 and 7) in between… but Kaspersky started eating my system resources (and then, a lovely Windows format took place since it was time for my annual dusting…).

And updating Kaspersky’s definitions (over dialup) is a pain!

Anyone want to ask more?

But keep Q1 and 2 in mind. And I’ll repeat it once more: I’m sticking to NOD32 (and it has a fairly decent firewall in it too :D)

[/quote]

what the hell yar?

Mujh se bewafai!

Mujeh kaspersky ki lat laga ker khud nod32

well guys due to my recent infection i am doubtful to trust nod again…

Lets c how kaspersky eats my system memory and if it ate much i ll switch back to nod32

i am realy puzeled… And confused about my aunti virus

btw i got the source of that virus which infected me

it came frm a flash drive…

When i saw histroy of nod32 it had caught this virus many times frm flash drive [autorun.inf file in flash]

but i dont knw y this time it didnt or may b the virus bribed nod32

u knw pakistan;sab kuch ho sakta hai

Zonelabs has licensed the kaspersky virus engine for their ZoneAlarm product. Zonealarm is one of the best software firewalls you can get and now it packs the Kaspersky's excellent virus engine. So i think one should go with it.

A word about Kaspersky, if malware writers are most feared of any antivirus then its kaspersky. It also detects almost all known packers and binders that can obfuscate the code to avoid detection.

guys kaspersky was interfering in each every pc or net activity so i am on nod32 again

and if u wana update virus definations of nod32 without the key just downlod the instaler of nod frm their website and reinstal

the virus definations wil b updated by the new instaler

Shoukat, the best thing for you to do is test the products yourself, and see which you are comfy with. We'll all give you our recommendations and hear-say, but it's you who has to decide. Install them, and then decide which is better for you.

guys kaspersky was interfering in each every pc or net activity so i am on nod32 again

and if u wana update virus definations of nod32 without the key just downlod the instaler of nod frm their website and reinstal

the virus definations wil b updated by the new instaler

[/quote]

well i personally used and liked nod32 for a year but a week ago and virus came in which creates new folder in every folder with similar name and the wired thing is that NOD failed to recognize it , and i installed kaspersky and it perfectly worked for removal of this virus now i m no more fan of NOD32 love to be have KASPERSKY :)

[DELETED] sah: That looked like a warez site. Please don't do that!

EDIT: BTW shaheerk, do you know whether NOD32 (just the antivirus) scans web traffic as its downloaded?

I used to be a Mcafee user until a virus infected every file on my hard drive along with Mcafee itself. I've been using Nod32 since that incident without any major gripes.

NOD32 rocks!

best I ever used

EDIT: BTW shaheerk, do you know whether NOD32 (just the antivirus) scans web traffic as its downloaded?
[/quote]

yes it does :)

well i have got a virus in my computer (flash drive virus) even when i have a updated version of nod32 installed :(

Run a FULL system scan with all the options selected (there are three or four different options that are unselected in the options of NOD's scanning).

And I suggest you try housecall.trendmicro.com (it's java-based). I'm not sure if it actually cleans viruses or not, but the system scan will atleast cause NOD to simultaneously scan for files (and sniff out any idiots that are living).

Otherwise, it's not too big an issue. I think the fact that the virus is "dead" is more important.

well i have got a virus in my computer (flash drive virus) even when i have a updated version of nod32 installed :(
[/quote]

oh real bad

now i am agian puzzled about nod32

i think we should ourself work as anti virus and not use anysite or any thing which could harm us

i have banned flash drives 4 my pc…

I use AVG (Free version) and it does a good job. Have saved my PC from infected Flash drives many times.

oh real bad

now i am agian puzzled about nod32

i think we should ourself work as anti virus and not use anysite or any thing which could harm us

i have banned flash drives 4 my pc…

[/quote]

i shifted from mcafee for the same damn reason i.e it didn’t detect a flash drive virus