Battery for UPS

Well i found all the discussion very useful on this forum that why I registered..

It would be really great if people add their experience/feedback regarding different type of batteries they have used with UPS; for example I have installed a 1500 Watt UPS with two Excite 108AMP/Hr batteries and am not that satisfied with the performance. Reason seems to be that the batteries are designed for automobile and not specialized for long black outs so batteries have completed their cycles in quite short time..

I've a short survey in Peshawar and Lahore market and dealers (selling multiple brands) prefer OSAKA IT and AGS for UPS..

One more comment I would like to add, The company that make the OSAKA batteries also make VOLTA brand which have delivered Pakistan's first maintenance free battery but the dealers seems to be unhappy as the battery cannot tolerate overcharging and gets burnt so guys who wana go for dry/maintenance free batteries, please take care of this point as well..

Hope to listen a few experiences..

--

Jamal

^ For good UPS performance, you need deep cycle batteries. IIRC, batteries for cars aren't deep cycle batteries.

^ IIRC, car battery are for quick discharge to start car. Moreover, IIRC, though I might be wrong here, that you shouldn't discharge car batteries below 40% (or something like that). Is it an urban myth?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

^ IIRC, car battery are for quick discharge to start car. Moreover, IIRC, though I might be wrong here, that you shouldn’t discharge car batteries below 40% (or something like that). Is it an urban myth?
[/quote]

You shouldn’t discharge car batteries below 90% actually and it is not an urban myth. It is a design limitation of a lead-acid car starting battery.

See below for details

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Starting,%20Marine,%20and%20Deep-Cycle%20Batteries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead-acid_battery#Cycles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_battery

I’ve a short survey in Peshawar and Lahore market and dealers (selling multiple brands) prefer OSAKA IT and AGS for UPS…

Jamal

[/quote]

I am using OSAKA IT-1000 since Jan this year and I am satisfied with its performance.

Last year I had a normal EXCIDE car battery and after 5 months its performance was clearly down. But I had a desi UPS connected to it which used to over charge the battery so it might be partly the fault of UPS too.

OSAKA and VOLTA are same batteries with different names. So, Volta IT-1000 will be identical to OSAKA IT-1000

Osaka IT 1000 has 17 plates which generates usually 100-110 amperes so their claim of 140 A is dubious.

[/quote]

Here is the link for the normal car batteries produced by Volta

http://volta.com.pk/product2.php?hdnCategoryID=1&hdnTypeID=1

If you look at the battery at No.3 and No.4 on the list, No.3 has 13 plates and produces 52 Amp/hr and No.4 has 11 plates but produces 68 Amp/hr. So, if the amp/hr had depended only on the number of plates/cell in the battery, you would have assumed the battery with 11 plates to generate less current then the 13 plate one.

Also compare No.3 with No.10 on the list. Both have same number of plates but produce different Amp/hr.

The size (surface area) of the plates is also very important, plus the factors I mentioned in previous response to you.

Which battery should be attached with 1500 watt ups?

Which battery should be attached with 1500 watt ups?
[/quote]

That depends entirely on you. How much load you are going to put on the UPS?

Use this link to calculate your battery size --> http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/inverter_faq.html#how_long

Since even a deep cycle battery should not be discharged below 50%, so in the above calculator, with your total load you should choose that battery which gives you a run time of at least 2 hrs. So, after 1 hr load shedding your battery will then be only 50% discharged.

^ Just a small addition to the above post. Some UPS have a limit to the max battery size you can use with them. It has to do with the charger built into the ups that can only effectively charge a battery up to a certain size. Ask your ups dealer what is the max battery that you can use with your UPS.

^^ That calculator doesn't seem to work correctly because I have one 185 amp battery attached to 700 watt ups and it used to give 6 hours of timing on load 500 watts but that calculator shows less than 2 hours timing.

^^ That calculator doesn’t seem to work correctly because I have one 185 amp battery attached to 700 watt ups and it used to give 6 hours of timing on load 500 watts but that calculator shows less than 2 hours timing.
[/quote]

500 W on 185 amp battery for 6 hrs!!! This is not possible. What you are saying would mean that you can run a 250 W (2 fans and 2 ‘20W’ energy savers) on a 185 amp battery for 12 hrs continuously!!

If this was true then the all the problems of people, especially in Karachi, will be solved as they seem unable to run fans if leadshedding is more then 2 hrs in duration.

You must have made a mistake in computing your total wattage.

The calculator gives you an estimate based on theoretical calculations and it can be off by 15-20 minutes for real world applications, but not more then that. The run time of 1.85 hrs given to you by the calculator for a 500 W load on a 185 amp battery seems more reasonable.

^^ I mention you my items

i) one ceiling fan (100)

ii) two tube lights (100)

iii) one energy saver (18)

iv) computer + 15" philips monitor (300)

I can swear I tested myself for 5+ hours when battery was new.

^^ I mention you my items

i) one ceiling fan (100)

ii) two tube lights (100)

iii) one energy saver (18)

iv) computer + 15" philips monitor (300)

I can swear I tested myself for 5+ hours when battery was new.

[/quote]

Well, I am at a loss as to what is happening. All I can say is that perhaps your computer is not using full 300 W. Are you reading the wattage written on the power supply? As that is the max wattage the power supply can deliver. Most of the time you computer will be consuming far less than that. For, example if you have 2 hard drives, 1 floppy drive, 1 CD-ROM running, your computer will draw a particular wattage from its power supply. Now if you disconnect 1 hard drive, floppy drive and the CD-ROM then your computer will draw far less wattage from the power supply.

Also, all ceiling fans I have seen are max 70 W. When they get older they start consuming more wattage but you can not accurately predict what will be the real wattage consumed without putting a meter to the fan.

Most tube lights consume 40 W with 5-10 watts to start up. After starting up they consume only 40 W.

So, your actual load must be far less then 500 W for your 185 amp battery to last continuous 5+ hrs.

well i always used Nestle water, otherwise rain water is best for refilling the batteries.

Salam,

I already have VOLTA 1400 Watt ups and its working fine for last 1 year. Now the batteries are dying. I have 2 batteries of IT-1000 power.

What option do you have for batteries.

I want maximum power batteries, please quote the prices for dry and wet batteries.

Secondly, technically speaking, is there a possibility i can attach 2 fresh batteries with current UPS.

Advice me, i am naive on this subject

I purchased two Osaka IT-1000 Yesterday Rs. 14,600 (Rs. 7300 per piece) You can even get it at Rs. 7200 from agency..

I think wet batteries at fine although dry batteries have longer life and back up time but neither just they are more costly (if branded) also desi UPS may over charge and burn it soon so I suggest you to go for Wet batteries..

Feel free to ask me more about OSAKA IT-1000..

--

Jamal

I've a technical question if some one can answer me confidently..

I've 1500Watt Desi (Victor: Made in Lahore) UPS which I used previously with two Excite 108Amp/Hr batteries and yesterday I installed Osaka IT-1000 on it..

The problem I found is that UPS doesn't stop charging, I think it overcharged my previous batteries and thatz Y they got out.. Now I am continuously monitoring its charging process. I connected it with the batteries last night and it started charging from 25.4V and in the morning i found the charge reading to be 27.2 and it was still charging :(

I checked the batteries but neither they were over heated nor boiling so I got sure that UPS not over charged my new batteries.. Now I want to adjust the stop voltage and also want to adjust the 'amp'; can anybody tell me at which readings should I adjust (Stop charging and also stop back up) to get maximum backup without compromising battery life..

Waiting for a sharp reply..

--

Jamal

I’ve a technical question if some one can answer me confidently…

I’ve 1500Watt Desi (Victor: Made in Lahore) UPS which I used previously with two Excite 108Amp/Hr batteries and yesterday I installed Osaka IT-1000 on it…

The problem I found is that UPS doesn’t stop charging, I think it overcharged my previous batteries and thatz Y they got out… Now I am continuously monitoring its charging process. I connected it with the batteries last night and it started charging from 25.4V and in the morning i found the charge reading to be 27.2 and it was still charging :(

I checked the batteries but neither they were over heated nor boiling so I got sure that UPS not over charged my new batteries… Now I want to adjust the stop voltage and also want to adjust the ‘amp’; can anybody tell me at which readings should I adjust (Stop charging and also stop back up) to get maximum backup without compromising battery life…

Waiting for a sharp reply…

Jamal

[/quote]

If the UPS is over charging your batteries, the batteries will get hot, especially around the terminals. If the battery terminals are not hot after say 6+ hrs of connected with UPS, then everything is fine. It might be that the indicator showing you the voltage on your UPS is faulty.

well i always used Nestle water, otherwise rain water is best for refilling the batteries.
[/quote]

You will shorten the life of your batteries if you use mineral water or rain water. Rain water is not purified water and is mildly acidic. It will change the specific gravity of the electrolyte. Mineral water has mineral ions like calcium, sodium, magnesium, potassium etc which during the process of electrolysis will attach themselves to the plates of the battery, compromising their performance.

I already have VOLTA 1400 Watt ups and its working fine for last 1 year. Now the batteries are dying. I have 2 batteries of IT-1000 power.

What option do you have for batteries.

I want maximum power batteries, please quote the prices for dry and wet batteries.

Secondly, technically speaking, is there a possibility i can attach 2 fresh batteries with current UPS.

Advice me, i am naive on this subject

[/quote]

Yes, you can attach fresh batteries with your UPS. The amp/hr of the batteries depend on you and how long you need your UPS to provide power. With 1400 W I will go for two 140 amp/hr batteries, or budget permitting, two 160 amp/hr batteries.

yar can anyone tell me about PHOENIX batteries....i bought one and it made me cry....last year my universal UPS 4+4 gave me 4 hours backup time on exide N185 new battery and this phoenix battery is XP-199 its bigger than exide N185..and that battery gave 1:30 hour back up time

^ Bigger is not always better. ;):D:P

Get Osaka UPS or IT series.