Zong 4G LTE Internet Help

Hello all. I had been searching for a reliable internet service in Lahore for a while now, disgruntled with PTCL's nightmare-ish performance. I posted a while ago but for some reason, the thread was removed along with my account. (huh... I wanted to change my username anyway) Perhaps because the site changed. (Love the new look though)

Now I have opted for Zong's 4G mifi device with 50GB for 2000rs (There's even a nifty double volume offer going on right now) It's (supposed to be) fast, constant, and works during loadshedding so my work won't get affected. The wifi-only device would mean I won't get internet on my desktop, but if it's worth it I'll get a small Tenda usb for it later. What I wanted to ask was;

1) Is it good? (I live in Samanabad so...)
2) How do I recharge it? I know, it sounds dumb. But I really need to be sure of how to do everything. The guys at 310 weren't able to tell me anything. So, In the starting of the month, I recharge the sim like any other Zong sim? How? I mean, obviously cards won't work. So easyload? But what about all the tax when recharging? Does it mean I'll actually be paying around 2600 for a 2000 package?

Would really appreciate the help. Thanks.

see 3G 4G service area dependent keeping your area (Samnabad in mind) i doubt PTCL DSL will ever work smoothly you will left with only 3G/4G option zong and warid are both best options though i dont have used any of them so cant comment but better look anybody who is using 4G service of both companies nearby you get it from the user for 1 day trial if it goes well get the connectivity and enjoy it for longer but for all such service data cap will be there so you cant be bandwidth hungery

[quote=“DJNOMI, post:2, topic:22141”]

see 3G 4G service area dependent keeping your area (Samnabad in mind) i doubt PTCL DSL will ever work smoothly you will left with only 3G/4G option zong and warid are both best options though i dont have used any of them so cant comment but better look anybody who is using 4G service of both companies nearby you get it from the user for 1 day trial if it goes well get the connectivity and enjoy it for longer but for all such service data cap will be there so you cant be bandwidth hungery

[/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I will look out for the quality. But what bugged me most was the recharging and tax part.

[quote=“Potato, post:, topic:”]

Would really appreciate the help. Thanks.

[/quote]

the performance everywhere i’ve tested is very consistent, you should get around 8-10mb at peak times and 15-25mb during off hours. concerning payment, im not %100 sure but im betting you have to goto a zong franchise to make the monthly payments.

Been using Zong 4G as a backup for about 2.5 months now, no issues what so ever.

You can recharge via online banking, using a card or easy load.

If you buy a card, here is how you recharge:

1. Connect to Zong Mifi device using wifi.
  2. Goto 192.168.8.1 on your browser.
  3. Click on Zong Services tab. (login and password are both admin)
  4. You should now see the option to enter a card number and recharge.

Edit: There is no tax or service charge deducted when you reload a Zong data sim. Means if you load PKR 1,000 card you will get PKR 1,000 in your account.

[quote=“BlueClub, post:5, topic:22141”]

Been using Zong 4G as a backup for about 2.5 months now, no issues what so ever.

Edit: There is no tax or service charge deducted when you reload a Zong data sim. Means if you load PKR 1,000 card you will get PKR 1,000 in your account.

[/quote]

hey can you force the device to use a lte connection rather than 3g via the mifi device’s configuration page?

[quote=“archim3des, post:6, topic:22141”]

hey can you force the device to use a lte connection rather than 3g via the mifi device’s configuration page?

[/quote]

The setting is over here: http://192.168.8.1/html/mobilenetworksettings.html

Note that this means that it will prefer 4G over 3G but if there is not 4G or weak 4G it will switch to 3G.

[quote=“archim3des, post:4, topic:22141”]

the performance everywhere i’ve tested is very consistent, you should get around 8-10mb at peak times and 15-25mb during off hours. concerning payment, im not %100 sure but im betting you have to goto a zong franchise to make the monthly payments.

[/quote]

First off, I’m really sorry for the late response. I was struggling with my college admissions, and thus couldn’t reply fast. Thanks for the heads up. I really needed to know that my plan for finally experiencing speeds greater than that of a dial-up wouldn’t backfire :D And yeah I have a franchise nearby, so… great!

[quote=“BlueClub, post:5, topic:22141”]

[/quote]

Was looking for this. I had been holding off the order until I was really sure, so THANK YOU! Now I can. The folks at the franchise (who didn’t say much anything about anything else) were quick to say that they had discontinued the battery operated mifi and only the wingle was available. So i guess we wouldn’t find the nifty thing anymore. Luckily, I found that Smart Choice still had some still boxed, and I ordered one before they ran out. :)

[quote=“BlueClub, post:7, topic:22141”]

The setting is over here: http://192.168.8.1/html/mobilenetworksettings.html

Note that this means that it will prefer 4G over 3G but if there is not 4G or weak 4G it will switch to 3G.

[/quote]

And there’s also this great Huawei app that lets you control the thing through your phone! Good stuff.