Zong 3G and simultaneous voice calls

For people who are on Zong, can you please try this and post back?

• Turn on 3G (make sure it doesn’t switch over to 4G or 2G)
  • make a call (call 310 or 222 or any other number you want)
  • while on a call, initiate a data session (browse the internet or download a file).

Are you able to simultaneously browse and talk on the phone? Because I can’t, nor can another number (on Zong) in my house. I’ve launched a support ticket, but they say I’m the only one who has complained.

I’m in Rawalpindi, but this issue persists in Islamabad too.

so what answer you can expect for those brilliant customer support staff, they have provided a script to answer those questions like that.

I already lodged a complaint, got a follow up call from their tech department.

Thing is, it shouldn’t happen. But it does for me and another number.

Do you have a Zong connection you could test on?

i ditched my zong connection a year ago, only using telenor now.

but i have few friends i will see if they are having this issue's and will let you know, thanks

Same here Shaheerk.. On Zong to Zong data connection doesn't work. Same is the case with other networks too. I couldn't use data while on call on jazz number.. Its Some kind of problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks koder.

FWIW, this issue doesn’t occur on Telenor (I checked it yesterday), but does on Ufone.

I wonder why.

Interestingly, the call center ppl said it shouldn’t happen, so I’m hoping they’re able to fix the issue.

Not a complaint I guess, it behaves same on edge and Telenor, when a call is connected, data network switches off automatically... not a big deal at least according to my knowledge.

While I can see an option in my Dual SIM Mobile to forward call from a sim to other sim if you are using data network, and it will not let the data connection drop.. never tried though....

[quote=“nvd650, post:7, topic:21673”]

Not a complaint I guess, it behaves same on edge and Telenor, when a call is connected, data network switches off automatically… not a big deal at least according to my knowledge.

While I can see an option in my Dual SIM Mobile to forward call from a sim to other sim if you are using data network, and it will not let the data connection drop… never tried though…

[/quote]
EDGE drops the data. 3G specifications permit simultaneous data and voice calls (technical standards).

So - when I checked Telenor a few days back, I could use the data when I was on a call.

Edit: grammar

^ OK, I'll check on Telenor and will let you know

Bump!

It goes to edge...

[quote=“nvd650, post:11, topic:21673”]

It goes to edge...

[/quote]

Okay, if you have an Android phone, can you try limiting your phone to 3G signals only? Here's how (in most phones):

- open the dialer

- type *#*#INFO#*#* (which is *#*#4636#*#*)

- In the "Phone information" screen (first option, if that's not what it's called), scroll down, and it lets you force-select a network mode - it could say GSM Auto (PRL) or WCDMA Preferred or LTE/GSM Auto or something like that.

- in there, select the option WCDMA only (which is 3G only).

Your phone may disconnect/reconnect to the tower, and will then stick to 3G signals (provided there are any).

Now - try testing. This way, it won't drop back down to edge.

Yes, it worked on telenor :) and now I remember, when I was on single SIM phone, during calls it used to stay on H+

Thanks nvd650.

Now, the question is, what is it that Telenor is doing that these other operators aren’t doing? Very odd, indeed.

I still like Telenor - but I just cannot use them (cause of their signals).

My friend is in ZTE and working for Zong 3G/4G upgrading. Previously he was in Nortel and worked for Telenor. He told me that Telenor is IP based while other are not. Having said that, Telenor rarely need extra equipment to launch 3G while all other operators need to install 3G/4G equipment accordingly.

Now it's info given by him, I'm not sure if this is the case in this issue as well.

That actually makes sense, since I read a long time ago (before 3G was even conceptualized in Pakistan) that Telenor’s network is IP-based - so there is some weight to that. Of course, this was years ago, so either they were, or were trying to be…

That said, can you ask your friend if Zong is moving over to the same structure (IP) too? And could this be the reason for the lack of simultaneous voice and data? Apparently, Zong’s tech reps said “oh, we use data and voice simultaneously all the time”.

Yeah, right.

But I’m going to follow up on my complain tomorrow and ask them for the status.

I've visited main Zong site in Faisalabad a week ago. He showed me 2G/3G cards and 4G cards (those were not like cards actually, but like big boxes) and he told me that previously they didn't have those 2G/3G and 4G cards. I'll ask about this issue though.

Oh, forgot, they have no plan to move on IP based solution as it has to be decided in very initial stages and need big investment than other solutions. So Telenor did it earlier and now they are on very good base to expand their Data Network as they are already in more than 50 cities.

I've discussed with him today, he told me that Zong is doing it by will... in this way they save extra slots to be used in case of simultaneous use of Call and Data network,

They have done it in some areas though where data network don't disconnect during call but not on all sites. To keep activate data network at same time, they have to reserve an extra slot which increase their cost...

and bla bla....

Wow. Well, that sucks. I had high hopes for these guys, but guess they’re doing what the other operators are doing.

So - its established that Telenor is the only operator that has implements 3G properly. Thanks a lot for your help, nvd660; I was going to call Zong again today and ask them what gives and why they’re not following up on my complaint…I suppose I won’t have to ask them anymore now, and I now don’t really have any more options. So much for “Super 3G”.Yes, you get the speed, but no, it stalls the instant you get a call.

Tl;Dr: those who have just stumbled upon this thread, only Telenor supports the feature (as other users have reported that Mobilink - and I’ve seen Ufone myself - don’t support simultaneous voice and data on 3G).

(Mods: I can’t seem to edit my OP so that I can insert my tl;dr content…can you do it for me, please, at the top of the post?)

I will confirm this from my cousin who works in zong plus i will tell him to forward this to your company ceo .. Don't expect this from china mobile atleast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk