Zabardast digital box!

[quote=“RSS, post:140, topic:16359”]

I too m in the process of purchasing this oh so hyped up digital box. Hope its worth it and does all tht it claims of doing. Just wonder sometimes tht we ppl are so deprived of quality tv. I mean we arnt even at par with the international level of channels shown abroad. No american idol this time and this sucks so bad.

[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by no american idol. I think they have that on Star World (analog) each year. In any case, it’s on OSN and I think one or more other international channels on the ZABARDAST!!! DIGITAL BOX. Not sure because I’m not interested in that show any more but it’s definitely on OSN First. Let’s hope the box gets more zabardast and not less in the days ahead.

[quote=“johnny98, post:138, topic:16359”]

You are right about Pieces TV. Solo recently removed the channel called 13 Street which was a series channel and replaced it with “many many pieces of peaceful urdu TV” so that all of us can learn and enjoy by watching this wonderful, exciting thrilling and entertaining channel. I wonder what the problem is with these guys when they can provide at least 200 or more channels on their digital box but they insist on offering just 98! Why 98? Why not 98.5 or 99 channels? Why not 101 channels and just 98??? No idea what the problem is and why they’re not increasing the number of channels and just removing 13 Street this way instead of adding more interesting channels especially when they do have access at least 200 or more channels from their various satellite dishes. I wonder when they will stop picking and choosing and who or what is restricting their channel lineup.

Yes, I too shudder at the thought of more channels being thrown out this way. But let’s see how it goes and hope for the best. But do keep calling them up and bother them about this if you can on their helpline number. Maybe it will make a difference.

[/quote]

Exactly. I can’t understand why they do this. I mean, they have SO many free slots, so why throw out one and replace with another? so bloody irritating. And I believe the 13th Street was an excellent channel. Will tell my friend to keep pursuing the matter. I too want to get the box, but am wary because of this.

[quote=“MamboNo5, post:142, topic:16359”]

Exactly. I can’t understand why they do this. I mean, they have SO many free slots, so why throw out one and replace with another? so bloody irritating. And I believe the 13th Street was an excellent channel. Will tell my friend to keep pursuing the matter. I too want to get the box, but am wary because of this.

[/quote]

Mambo my friend, your concern is quite legitimate. At the moment, the channel lineup looks quite similar to what WorldCall used to have a couple of years ago before they shut down OSN channels. They had fewer channels, ~60 with only 3 or 4 OSN channels but we all know what happened to their lineup. Instead of adding more channels, they filled it up with crappy ones. Their own ad boasts “100+” channels but if you call them, they will tell you that they’re offering no more than 98 channels, and out of these at least 3 or 4 channels are “not authorized”, i.e. blank.

We should contact SDN on their direct number for complaints: 021-3-4551104. It’s not just about 13 Street. Tomorrow it could be another channel that we like to watch.

Here’s an interesting update on SDN’s blog: http://digg.com/news…digitalnetworks

It’s basically a copy-paste from some international cable operator’s website, most likely SKY because most of the channels shown such as CNN HD, BBC One/Two/Three, SuperSport, CBS, ABC, etc are not included in SDN’s lineup.

Guys and gals and my neighbourhood pals, here's another update on the ZABARDAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DIGITAL BOX!!! I just tried out the much talked about time shift feature on this box. Although it requires a USB flash drive to work, it is great! You can record shows to watch later, record a channel and watch a different channel without affecting the recording, rewind a live show (for instance if you want to watch Misbah getting out over and over and over again during commercials) and so on.

I know there are better boxes out there which have built in hard drives to do the recording and timeshifting but this is a cheaper alternative and good enough for the time being.

On the downside, I don't like how they switched the National Geographic channel to the dubbed Urdu/Hindi version. I hate dubbed channels! I guess if they're so concerned that non-English speaking viewers watch these channels, they should at least offer both the English and non-English version.

Also, the Fox channel is in Arabic. I wonder what's the use of having that on when they can easily switch to the English version. Maybe they want to entertain the Sudanese and Somali students studying in madrsahs in Karachi.

[quote=“johnny98, post:141, topic:16359”]

Not sure what you mean by no american idol. I think they have that on Star World (analog) each year. In any case, it’s on OSN and I think one or more other international channels on the ZABARDAST!!! DIGITAL BOX. Not sure because I’m not interested in that show any more but it’s definitely on OSN First. Let’s hope the box gets more zabardast and not less in the days ahead.

[/quote]

Well since star world asia has been switched to starworld india since last yr there is no coverage of AI this year. No coverage of this years grammys too…

and u so right abt the dubbed NatGeo channels and the likes of it .i.e discovery , etc… i for one am still not sure wht the hell does VISHAL mean since this word is used after every 10 seconds… vishal machali, vishal janwar… on the other hand i adore history channel but our guys here would perfer if we watched star plus and ktn etc rather then some intellectual channel…

Now i am starting to have doubts abt even gettin this box since they are proceeding on the same track as the local cable channels…

[quote=“RSS, post:145, topic:16359”]

Well since star world asia has been switched to starworld india since last yr there is no coverage of AI this year. No coverage of this years grammys too…

and u so right abt the dubbed NatGeo channels and the likes of it .i.e discovery , etc… i for one am still not sure wht the hell does VISHAL mean since this word is used after every 10 seconds… vishal machali, vishal janwar… on the other hand i adore history channel but our guys here would perfer if we watched star plus and ktn etc rather then some intellectual channel…

Now i am starting to have doubts abt even gettin this box since they are proceeding on the same track as the local cable channels…

[/quote]

They have the history channel on the digital box and there’s no vishal history on it. As for your doubts, the thing is we have no control over what they show and what they don’t show and they can choose to stop airing any channel at any point in time. That’s the way it goes with our cable operators and this digital service provider is no different. I think they were originally a normal/analog provider that just started its own digital service, so there’s no major difference in how they operate.

You won’t have any control over which channels you want to see unless you get DTH or a satellite dish installed which would be quite expensive, and that’s why I bought this box because it is the next best thing, easily installed and there’s no other alternative. Hopefully, other digital service providers will pop-up sooner than later giving us a choice on which provider we want to use.

They have the history channel on the digital box and there's no vishal history on it. As for your doubts, the thing is we have no control over what they show and what they don't show and they can choose to stop airing any channel at any point in time. That's the way it goes with our cable operators and this digital service provider is no different. I think they were originally a normal/analog provider that just started its own digital service, so there's no major difference in how they operate.

You won't have any control over which channels you want to see unless you get DTH or a satellite dish installed which would be quite expensive, and that's why I bought this box because it is the next best thing, easily installed (no headache of asking your landlord for permission if you're a tenant) and there's no other alternative at the moment. Hopefully, other digital service providers will pop-up sooner than later giving us a choice on which provider we want to use.

[quote=“RSS, post:145, topic:16359”]

and u so right abt the dubbed NatGeo channels and the likes of it .i.e discovery , etc… i for one am still not sure wht the hell does VISHAL mean since this word is used after every 10 seconds… vishal machali, vishal janwar

[/quote]

Not that I have any interest in hindi or the dubbed channels but just to help you out: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_meaning_of_VishalWhat_is_the_meaning_of_Vishal

There! Mystery solved. :)

can any1 tell me that does this digital zaburdast box show the pakistans tensports or indias ?? plzz reply asap . and is this box good for sports channels

[quote=“1117144, post:149, topic:16359”]

can any1 tell me that does this digital zaburdast box show the pakistans tensports or indias ?? plzz reply asap . and is this box good for sports channels

[/quote]

Tensports on this box is from tatasky but their Tencricket is the middle east version. As for sports channels, they have ~10 of them including Real Madrid for spicy football lovers (extra cheese please) including Neo channels and OSN Sport. :)

Is anyone else experiencing issues with a few channels on the zabardast box? Neo cricket, ten cricket and a few other channels on frequency 435 in particular. Signal intensity and quality on this frequency as well as on 443 appears to have started to fluctuate quite abruptly on these frequencies. It drops down to 35 and then goes back up to 72-75 which results in a lot of breaks in sound and picture.

Channels on other frequencies appear to be all right.

all the frequency are working great infact i am getting all 144 channels perfect the intensity is 90 and singnal quality is 80 or vice versa.

how much is this zaburdast box for ? and what r the monthly charges?? plz reply asap

[quote=“alijokhio, post:152, topic:16359”]

all the frequency are working great infact i am getting all 144 channels perfect the intensity is 90 and singnal quality is 80 or vice versa.

[/quote]

@ali No breaks on neocricket, axn, starworld?

Signal intensity is 75 and quality 90 on 435 freq but these channels show quite a lot of interference in picture. I called up my local KCS dealer and he claimed that “PTV” was doing this to get people to watch asia cup matches on ptv sports. That’s ridiculous. How could they tamper with digital channels???

Also called up SDN but they didn’t give a response about the disturbance on this freq just said they’ll check and get back to me.

میں پی ٹی وی کیلے بہت ہی اچھے الفاظ ادا کرنا چاہتا تھا ۔

خیر ویسے یہ سروس کتنے کی ہے کیونکہ ہمارا کیبل والا تو بس ٹوپیاں ہی کراتا رہتا ہے۔

[quote=“johnny98, post:154, topic:16359”]

@ali No breaks on neocricket, axn, starworld?

Signal intensity is 75 and quality 90 on 435 freq but these channels show quite a lot of interference in picture. I called up my local KCS dealer and he claimed that “PTV” was doing this to get people to watch asia cup matches on ptv sports. That’s ridiculous. How could they tamper with digital channels???

Also called up SDN but they didn’t give a response about the disturbance on this freq just said they’ll check and get back to me.

[/quote]

Finally i m a proud of 1 digital bOx, thanks to johnny98, now looking forward to the solution for the breaks in channels, at my end result is worst after evening, morning is better, mOst of the channels get better in morning including neo cricket but not local news channels

Johnny bhai any advise ?

[quote=“baluch, post:156, topic:16359”]

Finally i m a proud of 1 digital bOx, thanks to johnny98, now looking forward to the solution for the breaks in channels, at my end result is worst after evening, morning is better, mOst of the channels get better in morning including neo cricket but not local news channels

Johnny bhai any advise ?

[/quote]

My brotherly friend and friendly neighbor @baluch, my friends call me @johnny but you can call me @98.

As for the local channels, they’re not from SDN’s headend so don’t worry about those. Actually just forget about them. Total SDN channels are 98 only, no local channels. As for breaks in other channels, which other channels do you get this problem on? On freq 435 (press OK button and under the channel list, you’ll see the frequency) I get this problem.

Best thing to do is call up Shakeel bhai and keep complaining about the problem. Note that Shakeel bhai will give you a lengthy lecture and try to shift blame on SDN but I spoke to SDN directly on Saturday and they confirmed just as @jokhio bhai said earlier that the problem is not from SDN’s end. Then also call up SDN about it. Hopefully, they’ll ask KCS to do something about it.

[quote=“johnny98, post:157, topic:16359”]

My brotherly friend and friendly neighbor @baluch, my friends call me @johnny but you can call me @98.

As for the local channels, they’re not from SDN’s headend so don’t worry about those. Actually just forget about them. Total SDN channels are 98 only, no local channels. As for breaks in other channels, which other channels do you get this problem on? On freq 435 (press OK button and under the channel list, you’ll see the frequency) I get this problem.

Best thing to do is call up Shakeel bhai and keep complaining about the problem. Note that Shakeel bhai will give you a lengthy lecture and try to shift blame on SDN but I spoke to SDN directly on Saturday and they confirmed just as @jokhio bhai said earlier that the problem is not from SDN’s end. Then also call up SDN about it. Hopefully, they’ll ask KCS to do something about it.

[/quote]

@98

thanks for the prompt reply and advise, i am unable to understand that why almost all channels get crystal clear in morning and then later in evening breaked/disturbed…isnt this a signal issue they should boost line signals na or what ?

previously when i called shakeel bhai for purchase, he replied me that u’ll get a call in a while, he is not that much bothered about these things, i’ll check frequencies then i’ll let u know.

and the funniest thing is that on friday when they came for installation and after viewing these break they said that this is the box problem and we will bring a new box for you in which u wont face these issues, saturday was strike and sunday was off, till date i havent paid a penny :)

btw their simple cable reslut is very low then my previous (showtiimes)

[quote=“baluch, post:158, topic:16359”]

@98

thanks for the prompt reply and advise, i am unable to understand that why almost all channels get crystal clear in morning and then later in evening breaked/disturbed…isnt this a signal issue they should boost line signals na or what ?

previously when i called shakeel bhai for purchase, he replied me that u’ll get a call in a while, he is not that much bothered about these things, i’ll check frequencies then i’ll let u know.

and the funniest thing is that on friday when they came for installation and after viewing these break they said that this is the box problem and we will bring a new box for you in which u wont face these issues, saturday was strike and sunday was off, till date i havent paid a penny :)

[/quote]

My friendly friend and neighbourly neighbor @baluch, did you try inserting their cable directly into your TV? The analog reception at my end is crystal clear. It is actually 200x better than showoff-time.

I don’t think the reception should get worse in the evening, especially on the digital channels. Press the menu button on your digital remote, then go to the second icon on the left (installation), then select quick search. This section will show the signal strength and quality. You can edit the frequency to check other freqs as well. For instance 411, 379 and any other freq on which other channels are running. If quality is lower than 90 and signal intensity is lower than 77 or 76, you’re in trouble. Check this in front of the cable guy (probably imran) and you should ask them to fix this because this will result in breaks and will also give you bad reception on analog. Ask them to make sure the signal strength is excellent.

Another thing to check is the video cable (they use a technical name for it which I don’t remember, DV cable or something like that), the one that goes from the box into your TV’s antenna slot, is of good quality. I bought a low quality one from a local shop which cost around Rs. 75 and the analog reception was very poor. I then switched to the cable I got from worldcall a few years ago which is of higher quality and the analog reception went to perfect.

Luckily, the problem on freq 435 appears to have been resolved. Not sure if my complaint to SDN did the trick but all of a sudden today, all 435 channels including Neo Cricket, Star World and Nat Geo Wild are now back to normal with zero breaks and 76-77% signal intesity.

[quote=“baluch, post:158, topic:16359”]

[/quote]

Wow! So you didn’t pay them for the installation or the box? That’s good because they asked me to pay in full before they installed the next day. In any case, like I said earlier if you’re worried about breaks on Express News, PTV Sports, Hum TV etc on the digital box, it’s no use because these are not SDN channels. They are running from KCS’s end. Try asking the cable guy Imran why local channels disappear and reappear or have so many breaks.