YouTube going HD

Ive been reading on the internet about youtube upgrading their video quality to HD in a few months.. I can't even begin to imagine the computational horsepower required to stream that many videos in HD. They've already started testing HD content.. for example,

…becomes this:

&fmt=18

For any particular video on youtube, I hope they leave an option for the users to view whatever resolution they desire

Computational power? Forget that. Think of the amount of storage needed for that quality of vids. 0.o

I believe they're just testing the usage of a new codec, which I think is h.264.

Edit: Never mind. Spoke too soon.

tough luck for us here in pakistan, 'cause they are upgrading thiner standard keeping in mind that in their countries to sign up for even just a basic internet there starting bandwidth is from 4 megabits and up (and thats dedicated bandwidth)

there is no way pakistan can keep up with them in term of bandwidth people are just starting to get 512 kbits in price range which one could that its affordable and even thats shared bandwidth. and how one would be able to stream HD here?

it sucks

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Ive been reading on the internet about youtube upgrading their video quality to HD in a few months… I can’t even begin to imagine the computational horsepower required to stream that many videos in HD. They’ve already started testing HD content… for example,

…becomes this:

&fmt=18

For any particular video on youtube, I hope they leave an option for the users to view whatever resolution they desire

[/quote]

heloo some iz sleepin in this forums or iz just a noob

man u can discuss this thing in that thread

http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=140

look here

That thread was kind of a tutorial to how to stream high quality vids, whereas this one has been started to discuss the pros and cons of this service.. So keep your noob term to yourself, it better suits you

Computational power? Forget that. Think of the amount of storage needed for that quality of vids. 0.o
[/quote]

I read somewhere that Google (who bought YouTube) have places called “server farms” with hundreds of computers and giant racks of disk drives in order to meet the needs of their users.

Now think about the number of server farms google owns

Thread reported for clean up.

I read somewhere that Google (who bought YouTube) have places called “server farms” with hundreds of computers and giant racks of disk drives in order to meet the needs of their users.

[/quote]

Correct, they are actually using old P3 computers but have lots of them.

Ive been reading on the internet about youtube upgrading their video quality to HD in a few months… I can’t even begin to imagine the computational horsepower required to stream that many videos in HD. They’ve already started testing HD content… for example,

…becomes this:

&fmt=18

[/quote]

That would mean the 1 or 2mbps connection holders, specifically the "youtube" fans can say bye bye to their connections :D

God Bless pakistan.

That would mean the 1 or 2mbps connection holders, specifically the “youtube” fans can say bye bye to their connections :D

God Bless pakistan.

[/quote]

i dont agree with u

that dog skating video was working fine 4 me in high resolution when i was in midle the whole was buffered

BTW really nice quality

[/quote]

wat about Energy requirement and green house gases

Saheeh hey na yaar,duniya aagety ko ja rahi hey. I an see 10mb connection would be common within next five to seven years. WITHIN..

512K is not considered as fast as it used to be a couple of years back...

Saheeh hey na yaar,duniya aagety ko ja rahi hey. I an see 10mb connection would be common within next five to seven years. WITHIN…

512K is not considered as fast as it used to be a couple of years back…

[/quote]

10mb in pk or in rest of the world?

10mb in pk or in rest of the world?

[/quote]

rest of the world coz in here we are relying on dsl which cant give us more than 2 mbps (on average copper line) so until any other medium gets popular here we cant have such speeds

rest of the world coz in here we are relying on dsl which cant give us more than 2 mbps (on average copper line) so until any other medium gets popular here we cant have such speeds

[/quote]

5mbps (perhaps more) is very much possible on Wateen Wimax as the speed tests to their in-house server in Lahore suggests, when the test’s conducted at speedtest.net.

5mbps (perhaps more) is very much possible on Wateen Wimax as the speed tests to their in-house server in Lahore suggests, when the test’s conducted at speedtest.net.

[/quote]

wateen wimax? testing is different thing and deploying it on a large scale is a different thing as you can see wateen is failing to provide 512 kbps internet without glitches

wateen wimax? testing is different thing and deploying it is a different thing as you can see wateen is failing to provide 512 kbps internet without glitches

[/quote]

most of wateens glitches exsist is their backend their network is pretty capable but wateen imlemented it very poorly

in the days when there was an error in the login server everybody on average was gettin 3-5 mbps