3) PCLOS

4) Mac OS X leopard

Windows XP.

openSUSE.

Desktop: Windows Vista

Server: CentOS 5

System 6

Windows Vista & Cent OS 4.

I'm not a huge fan of Windows, but I use it more out of necessity. Windows XP is definitely better than Vista.

I have Ubuntu running on a desktop as well. Absolutely LOVE it!

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

System 6
[/quote]

lol i came here to post system 7. i still use it to play crystal quest

K/Ubuntu's good - but it's better if you have a DSL connection (forget running linux on dialup... and that's what I did)..

WinXP - the compatibility in Linux may be near perfect (via Wine), but it's better in Windows.

lol i came here to post system 7. i still use it to play crystal quest

[/quote]

Control Strip FTW!!

I loved everything uptil OS 8. I didn’t like OS 9 at all. Mac OS X, ofcourse, is a gem.

Ubuntu is popular because they still give away free CDs i.e. Linux at doorstep. As soon as you face some serious problem like incompatability with NTFS, you would hate it. I know ntfs-3g is there but this driver is FUSE based and isn’t promising at all. A simple bug I witnessed is that at times it makes ntfs junctions instead of directories. It revealed itself when I couldn’t delete a couple of directories after installing windows. I am sure that I was using latest stable ntfs-3g release. Dont know why did they call a partially tested release stable.

Try PCLinuxOS instead. It is for eye candy and as well as speed.

[/quote]

I’ve been using Ubuntu solely on my desktop for about 6 months now (I also have XP installed on another partition). NTFS interaction (read/write) works splendidly. Never had any problems with it. Plus all my data IS on NTFS partitions so I basically deal with NTFS through my linux install.

From the three I've used my favorite is Windows XP. (the other two are Windows 98 and Vista)

Well i like leopard but not really used to it.

Vista is good eats lots of memory but is really nice cause we are used to Windows products.

For Servers i use FreeBSD. love it and its features.

Vista ULTIMATE,

it rocks, way better than any previous OS i've used. The interface, design, security, compatibility, stability everything is superb. Really very very nice job by Microsoft.

Vista ULTIMATE,

it rocks, way better than any previous OS i’ve used. The interface, design, security, compatibility, stability everything is superb. Really very very nice job by Microsoft.

[/quote]

Compatibility!?!

I installed the resource-hungry Windows Vista SP1 for about a week or something and got really sick and tired of it.. I'm back to XP again.. Can't let the OS eat that much of my system resources just for the sake of a few visual effects!

I'd say XP is still the best

well if u want really good visual effects with even less resources consumed than windows XP than try linux most versions come with Compiz Fusion preinstalled

well if u want really good visual effects with even less resources consumed than windows XP than try linux most versions come with Compiz Fusion preinstalled
[/quote]

I agree with you fully. A customized linux version has a lot more eye candy and is more accessible than Vista any day. The only question is how learning-phobic and lazy a person is, since you have to make some effort to search and learn how to do these things.

I agree with you fully. A customized linux version has a lot more eye candy and is more accessible than Vista any day. The only question is how learning-phobic and lazy a person is, since you have to make some effort to search and learn how to do these things.
[/quote]

not nesceraly if u look at the new versions of Ubuntu or Mandriva both come with Compiz fusion and no customization has to b done to make the eye candy prettier all v have 2 do is just turn the effects on

I’m not just talking about the Compiz fusion effects. For example just yesterday I added an OS X style dockbar (Avant Windows Navigator) and used Emerald to change the theme. Its not hard, but you have to Google to search for and figure out what to do, whereas Windows comes packaged with everything and you can’t really make a lot of customizations (which is also its weak point!).
[/quote]

oh yeah in that sense i totally agree with u