XIVD codec error

hi guys... i just downloaded (Torrented) a movie which is in .avi format and it has Xvid codecs. i tried running it on VLC, GOM, Windows Media Player, Power DVD 9. Nothing worked. I even installed xvid codecs on pc but still in vain. The memory of the movie file is 990MB but when i play it,the duration is only 20 seconds. The error that it gives in every player is " CODEC ERROR: USE WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER, REDIRECTING TO MICROSOFT CODEC DOWNLOAD PAGE". Then the file ends after 20 seconds. Please help me out because i am missing some very nice movies just due to this problem. Thanks

I had the same problem. Then I installed Real Player and KL-Codec pack. All type of files run fine now.

The file is a dud planted to discourage illegal torrent use regarding licensed content.

Download your movies from trusted uploaders only, or download from private trackers if you can manage to keep a decent ratio, then you won't end-up downloading such fake files.

always read comments before downloading any torrent file

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

hi guys… i just downloaded (Torrented) a movie which is in .avi format and it has Xvid codecs. i tried running it on VLC, GOM, Windows Media Player, Power DVD 9. Nothing worked. I even installed xvid codecs on pc but still in vain. The memory of the movie file is 990MB but when i play it,the duration is only 20 seconds. The error that it gives in every player is " CODEC ERROR: USE WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER, REDIRECTING TO MICROSOFT CODEC DOWNLOAD PAGE". Then the file ends after 20 seconds. Please help me out because i am missing some very nice movies just due to this problem. Thanks

[/quote]

Yes probably a fake or possibly a protected file. either way, that doesn’t happen on torrents. Anyways can you PM the the link to page from where you dloaded the *.torrent file?

a fake definitely

[quote=“Faisal, post:6, topic:14797”]

Yes probably a fake or possibly a protected file. either way, that doesn’t happen on torrents. Anyways can you PM the the link to page from where you dloaded the *.torrent file?

[/quote]

i downloaded it from torrage dot com. (sorry if telling a torrent website here is violation…!!)

[quote=“Asad, post:3, topic:14797”]

The file is a dud planted to discourage illegal torrent use regarding licensed content.

[/quote]

then why do they share these torrent files openly without asking to pay or whatever it is required to download successfully?

[quote=“Upsilon, post:4, topic:14797”]

Download your movies from trusted uploaders only, or download from private trackers if you can manage to keep a decent ratio, then you won’t end-up downloading such fake files.

[/quote]

Thanks bro. next time i will keep this in mind. what does “managing a decent ratio” mean?

[quote=", post:9, topic:14797"]

then why do they share these torrent files openly without asking to pay or whatever it is required to download successfully?

[/quote]

These are uploaded by the studios to waste bandwidth of people downloading the torrent. It is a punishment for the illegal downloaders, in some weird twisted thinking by the studios.