WTB: Shielded PTCL Drop Wire

Okay. This topic is going to sound very silly. I am looking for 120-150 meters of PTCL Drop Wire, not the usual one. I need the shielded/twisted drop wire, which will be connected to PTCL pole and the telephone line in my room. I am not looking for the wire thats used internally in homes to connect from main to telephone sockets in rooms.

I have read/heard that PTCL uses the shielded drop wire for lines after their privatization and of course its good for DSL. It's not available in OUR city. Neither in a city near us where DSL is enabled...

So anyone in good terms with your local line man. Come forward and help me up.............

What for? Has DSL finally reached your city?

Nope it has not. The current cable is faulty. Replacing it so its better to have a good quality cable, will last for long and if DSL ever comes, will be useful for that as well.

I think I will have to do it with the usual cable though, getting a full roll of it free of cost actually, just not the shielded cable :-(.

Didn't you post this before too?

Also, please mention your city in your profile.

Nope. I did not post this before, not here on this forum, at least I don't remember. City? I can't. Privacy reasons. Anyway. You can delete this topic actually since I am going for the usual pair. Fed up of the search.

I also need to buy a very good quality wire. Im having unsycing problems with my PTCL DSL. The Maxcom people had installed a Cat 5 cable at my home which was connecting the black wire from the pole to the splitter but due to rain last year that wire was destroyed and when i got PTCL DSL it wasnt working properly because the wire was pretty much ruined.

I had another very old Cat 5 cable and i used that and that decreased the number of times my modem unsycned but i still face that problem. Should i just buy a new Cat 5 cable or what?

My Friend suggested to buy that black cable which is connected from the pole. He says buy a big black wire and connect it to the black wire coming from the pole and bring that black wire to your room and then connect it to the splitter. He says those black wire are very strong and reliable and cheap and i wont face any syncing problems after that plus those wires can also take rain.

So please advice me.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I also need to buy a very good quality wire. Im having unsycing problems with my PTCL DSL. The Maxcom people had installed a Cat 5 cable at my home which was connecting the black wire from the pole to the splitter but due to rain last year that wire was destroyed and when i got PTCL DSL it wasnt working properly because the wire was pretty much ruined.

I had another very old Cat 5 cable and i used that and that decreased the number of times my modem unsycned but i still face that problem. Should i just buy a new Cat 5 cable or what?

My Friend suggested to buy that black cable which is connected from the pole. He says buy a big black wire and connect it to the black wire coming from the pole and bring that black wire to your room and then connect it to the splitter. He says those black wire are very strong and reliable and cheap and i wont face any syncing problems after that plus those wires can also take rain.

So please advice me.

[/quote]

correct me if i m weong but arent CAT 5 cables just another name for LAN cable?

how can they be used with phone lines?

correct me if i m weong but arent CAT 5 cables just another name for LAN cable?

how can they be used with phone lines?

[/quote]

yeah CAT5 are the usually used LAN cables, but we can also use other wires like CAT6 for LAN

and they can be used for phone line, by just using the phone connector ( i guess its RJ-11)

Dudes simply get your self the cable i donno its name, it looks like a coaxial cable, has all the layers of coaxial cable except in mid, ware rather than a core wire, there are 2 twisted pair cables....

its a high quality wire and is easily available....nd if its not in ur area, den goto ptcl exchange and get it from dere

PTCL exchange? haha. They are out of the usual pair here and you are talking about getting the shielded wire/coaxial cable.

The usual drop wire is being sold in BLACK here. Original price is supposed to be Rs.2/meter, but they sell @ Rs.7/meter.

Don't use CAT5 or CAT6 cable as the drop wire. They are not strong.

@Joker

what do you mean by 'Drop' wire?

Here's how DSL was set up by Maxcom in my home:

I had a black strong wire coming from the pole (like this wire in this pic, the top wire http://www.splefty.com/Images/telephone-wire.jpg) to my roof top and from there a few cables like these: http://br.tradeholding.com/attach/hash246/59382/2core_telephone_wire_07_057_.jpg connected to it and the other end were connected to my telephone box and then to the telephone which is the normal setup. Maxcom changed these cables with Cat5 cable http://www.intolan.com/images/CAT5%20Cable-No%20Ends.jpg and then on one pair in that cat 5 cable they connected it with the black wire coming form the pole and then the other end of that pair got connected with the splitter. Then another pair was connected to the phone port in the splitter and the other end of that pair was connected with the telephone cables which were previously connected with the black wire from pole directly.

I hope you can understand what im saying :D.

So anyway, it was working brilliant and i never faced unsync issues but last year after the rain i've been facing unsyncing problems and well i tried another CAT5 cable too but it was also very old cable and i still face Unsync issues.

So recommend me which wire exactly should i get to replace the Cat5 cable.

Oh, I am sorry. I did not understand you fully before. lol. Apologies. I thought CAT5 is being used for connecting from the pole, lol, but it seems thats not the case. Sorry. It's just connected the black wire with the splitter as you said.

You can of course use a CAT5 for connecting the main telephone line to the splitter or can use the simple Phone wire for it that comes with dial-up modems if you recall? Simple two/four wires in it and telephone jack connected at each end. Just cut one side and connect it to the main line and the other into the splitter. Using CAT5 would be better since I think they are twisted pairs.

BTW. I don't know how they connected the CAT5, but it has more than one pair in it. i.e. several wires in it. You can try other colored wires in the CAT5 cable. May work since they might have not been used before.

Oh, I am sorry. I did not understand you fully before. lol. Apologies. I thought CAT5 is being used for connecting from the pole, lol, but it seems thats not the case. Sorry. It’s just connected the black wire with the splitter as you said.

You can of course use a CAT5 for connecting the main telephone line to the splitter or can use the simple Phone wire for it that comes with dial-up modems if you recall? Simple two/four wires in it and telephone jack connected at each end. Just cut one side and connect it to the main line and the other into the splitter. Using CAT5 would be better since I think they are twisted pairs.

BTW. I don’t know how they connected the CAT5, but it has more than one pair in it. i.e. several wires in it. You can try other colored wires in the CAT5 cable. May work since they might have not been used before.

[/quote]

I see. Ive actually called PTCL’s help line a lot and never received any help from them so ive given up on PTCL customer support. I think ill buy a new Cat 5 cable and try it, if it doesnt work then ill try and get the black wire from the pole changed. If that doesnt work either, ill call PTCL’s help line and abuse the !@#$%/dog on the other end :D

CAT5 and other common LAN cables might be twisted but they aren't shielded that well.

CAT5 and other common LAN cables might be twisted but they aren’t shielded that well.
[/quote]

So which wire should i go for?

Go for any new cable alamode. I am sure any will work.

Go for any new cable alamode. I am sure any will work.
[/quote]

Okey will get a brand new Cat5 cable and see how it goes. If after that it still unsync’s, the problem is then in the black drop wire or at PTCL’s end.