WorldCall Upgrades its Packages!

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Hello, My SNR is 35.3 and Connection is stable, I would say anything above 32 would be considered stable.

To find out your SNR, you have to go to

http://192.168.100.1/_aslvl.asp

Username: admin

Password: W2402

and then change the Access Level to 3.

Now you can access the pages that were restricted before. Just go to the Signal page and it will list all the information.

[/quote]

Awesome! I didn’t know that. This is why I keep visiting wired pakistan. You always learn something new here.

I checked my signal page and I have a downstream SNR of ~36db

tomorrow i wil get worldcall 1mb connection INSHALLAH

Great packages, wish it was available in ISB.

My SNR is 29.5

@physx:

Thanks for the info.

I posted this in another thread (PTCL Section):

My connection is dropping too and I also thought many times to switch.

BUT

All other services(Q-bee, infinity etc) I contacted either are limited Downloads or providing the same BW at about double price.

So I decided to stick with PTCL and give it few more shots + the strike is over now maybe the issues will resolve hopefully.

And franky for me COSTS MATTER .

[/quote]

Yeah but what about wordcall cable internet (and these new packages posted by ProPakistani.pk)?

10 Mbps for Rs. 8,000: WorldCall Cable Broadband

worldcall.png

The above was mentioned by ProPakistani.pk.

Is the service and uptime of Worldcall Internet good enough?

Lat time I used Worldcall Cable Internet was in 2006..and It was really, really pathetic. It worked for one hour out of 24 hours.

So any current users care to share their feedback on worldcall?

Got 4 Mbps connection installed yesterday in LHR, it was two days installation. Running stable up till now, though cable signal not up to standard in my area. Packages are officially launched on the website.

About usage;

- Stable Downloads, range from 460 ~ 500 KB

- Torrents (up to 470 KB)

- Streaming on average 50~100KB, but thats youtube problem. Just installed video accelerator and videos are streamed upto 500 KB

- Unfortunately browsing is not that fast. This is old worldcall problem, there is a delay after clicking a link before the page is loaded, but after lag the page loads fast. I have also tried changing DNS, but same issue. I have Witribe 1.5Mb right now, and its browsing is much faster then this cable 4 Mb connection, Witribe opens pages instantly after clicking any link.

For connection uptime and stable bandwidth, I will monitor it for next 2 weeks. Lets see.

956005528.png

955952136.png

FluxBB%20bbcode%20testhttp://lh5.ggpht.com/_TC1zgb9yj24/TJJp733vw4I/AAAAAAAABCg/YxOje2sb2ds/s800/Download%20speed.jpg

Hey syedAli, which video accelerator are you using?

speedyitunes.com

(use it with IE or opera, it does not work properly with chrome)

check the application icon in the icon tray bar, it animates when speedyitunes work.

thanks.....but i use chrome and as you say it does not work properly with Chrome :(

try MassDownloader

- Unfortunately browsing is not that fast. This is old worldcall problem, there is a delay after clicking a link before the page is loaded, but after lag the page loads fast. I have also tried changing DNS, but same issue. I have Witribe 1.5Mb right now, and its browsing is much faster then this cable 4 Mb connection, Witribe opens pages instantly after clicking any link.

[/quote]

Actually browsing doesn’t improve with connections faster than 512kbps regardless of ISP. At least that is my experience. The reason is that TCP/IP connections take a little while to ramp up to maximum speed so small file transfers associated with web browsing can rarely use a fast connection’s bandwidth. Mind you, youtube and other media rich websites will load faster on faster connections.

For a proper comparison between ISPs you should shift+reload a webpage (in firefox) or clear your browser cache before each test. Otherwise your browser will just load the data from its cache and one ISP will appear faster than the other. Also install and use this firefox addon which will tell you how long the page took to load:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1743/

The upload on new packages is very limited. They are just telling us the download speeds:

I have 1mbps now upgraded to 2 mb but the upload is very low:

958093134.png

no complaints about download and i think wc should have told us that they are limiting upload.

How is worldcall working for you guys? Is the internet always on? Do you guys experience any down time? How would you compare the service of worldcall cable internet to ptcl dsl?

Is there any problem with worldcall cable internet?

worldcall's cable internet/ tv QOS varies from area to area, in clifton block 5 i rarely had any issues but in block 9 i usually had syncing issues.

the new packages look good, but in my experience maxcom has been outstanding (so far). in my office in block 9 i had a maxcom connection that went down maybe 10 minutes in over a year (as far as i know).

Actually browsing doesn’t improve with connections faster than 512kbps regardless of ISP. At least that is my experience. The reason is that TCP/IP connections take a little while to ramp up to maximum speed so small file transfers associated with web browsing can rarely use a fast connection’s bandwidth. Mind you, youtube and other media rich websites will load faster on faster connections.

For a proper comparison between ISPs you should shift+reload a webpage (in firefox) or clear your browser cache before each test. Otherwise your browser will just load the data from its cache and one ISP will appear faster than the other. Also install and use this firefox addon which will tell you how long the page took to load:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1743/

[/quote]

I have tested both connections side by side (obviously with clearing cache first), the main issue is the Worldcall DNS servers are really pathetic, a DNS testing tool showed that Worldcall DNS servers are 3 times slower in resolving a DN then witribe, google and opendns DNS servers.

Second thing is, in Opera I tested the speed that the page is loading at, and on Witribe, pages were being loaded at upto 120KB/s, where as on Worldcall same pages were loading on average at 30 to 50 KB/s. So i don’t know why the worldcall has that initial extra speed boost missing, which we see in every ISP. I am talking about like on 1MB connection, if we start a file download, it starts from 200+KB and the gets stable at 100KB in few seconds.

waited 4 days for worldcall to reactivate my internet connection. i paid them 1500/- for 2mb but i got reconnected to 1mb. complained and was informed that my package hasn't been upgraded and will be done after 1st oct :@

I'm still upgraded.

961210766.png

Is worldcall reliable?

What happens during load shedding...does it still work?

Previously there used to be tons of viruses that used to attack your computer while on WC. Is this still the case???

^ Yeah same question here. When I was using it around 3-4 years ago, the modem mostly reamined unsynched due to loadshedding.

@bathisland and @nab

I would say, just give it a try. The quality of signals and their amplifier UPS backups varies from location to location. Its more than one week now with WC, and I have finally closed my Witribe account as I also gave WC a test try.

So far not a single sync issue, no downtime and no virus issues, full bandwidth with multiple connection only (like using download accelerators). I know its too early to analyze but things look good so far, despite there is a little lag while browsing as I have mentioned in my post above, but its acceptable, not that bad. I am on 4Mb.

(make sure your modem download SNR should stay at minimum of 28db and upload POWER between 10~54dbmv)