Wireless Router

I am currently using a DSL connection and want to share it on Wi-Fi so i can use it on my iPhone , please giude me to which hardware i should buy , which company and how to set it up. I want to use the connection simultaneously on my iPhone , Laptop ,and PC(no built in Wi-Fi).

Get a Linksys WRT54G wireless router.

^ ditto on asads suggestion

Rather than the WRT54G, would suggest you look at the WRT54GL - gives you the ability to flash it with custom firmware which'll give you some super controls. It's available at a number of stores here in Karachi.

I've not had to reset it even once the last 6 months.

will i need to buy wifi adapter for my PC?, isnt there some way i could connect the DSL cable directly to my PC and the router , can a network hub be used for this purpose

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

will i need to buy wifi adapter for my PC?, isnt there some way i could connect the DSL cable directly to my PC and the router , can a network hub be used for this purpose
[/quote]

The router should also have some Ethernet ports, so you can connect your desktop PC with those

Rather than the WRT54G, would suggest you look at the WRT54GL - gives you the ability to flash it with custom firmware which’ll give you some super controls. It’s available at a number of stores here in Karachi.

I’ve not had to reset it even once the last 6 months.

[/quote]

Three issues with that:

1 - Limited to non-existent supply of WRT54GL

2 - L variant is also more expensive.

3 - There is no need for the advanced features if you just want to have a normal network.

[/quote]

The router mentioned has 4 LAN ports (for wired PC connections) and a WAN port (for DSL connection directly to router).

You don’t need a switch or hub when you have a built-in router (wrt54g) unless you need to connect more than 4 PCs through the Ethernet cable.

WRT54G does not support custom firmware???

^ it does uptil version 4 AFAIK

I have worldcall EDVO which is usb based. I want to use wirless router to run my notebook or wifi enable phone by using internet which connected to PC through EDVO through USB. Is this possible?

its is either impossible or really really difficult

u cud do this get a wifi card for ur pc connect the EVDO net on it

and then share the net via the wifi card

its is either impossible or really really difficult

u cud do this get a wifi card for ur pc connect the EVDO net on it

and then share the net via the wifi card

[/quote]

Is this possibile to use wifi card on pc and can share internet on notebook using same wife or wife enable mobile ?

if wife cards can comunicate between themselves than 2 notebook having wifi card can easy get connected wirelessly. Is this right?

yes mfa6464

but there is one disadvantage the cards communicate with a protocol know as Adhoc mode the only problem is that u can only use a max of 11mbps while the cards are capable of much more

but if u wana just share the net between computers then 11mbps is just fine

Thanks ruhaan I will try this. By the way what would be range of both PC/notebook?

^ hmm not really sure

but atleast at my home i have a Wireless G network and both floors of my house are easily covered

and i have no coverage problems

Thanks ruhaan

WRT54G does not support custom firmware???
[/quote]

Well I dunno why ppl think it cant support custom software, the thing is with WRT54GL u can directly flash the full version of 3rd party custom ware plus it has 16MB ROM flash, with WRT54G u need to kill the processes of original firmware before flashing it with a custom firmware, uptil version 4 of that it has 16MB ROM but in version later than that LINKSYS in their sheer genius has reduced to 4 i think, so with version 1-4 u can use any firmware as GL but after that version 5 to onward version 8 is the recent one i think, ur only choice DD-WRT mini firmware version but gives u the same functions. But keep in mind whether its G version or GL version u always run the risk of bricking your router if its not flashed properly.

Now coming to the other point i agree with Asad that for normal basic usuage u dont need the custom firmware and abt range well it all dependds how big ur house, how many walls or roofs between u and the router

These are my 2 cents, although looks like more than 2, lol

Thnks a lot guys, you really solved my problem