Wiredpakistan update

The forums were targeted by someone, or something, and crashed as a result. The old host refused to have anything more to do with the forums as well, as after they investigated the crash they realized it was using way too many resources anyways and asked either for lots more money or to move it elsewhere.

After much thought, especially about the cost, I finally did. Which is why you can read this!

As a result of the move, the site is on much, much beefier hardware, and should withstand lots of users as well as attacks - so should be fine for ages more to come.

The cost part leads to the ads you're seeing - if I can't cover hosting costs I can no longer afford to run the site. I hate ads, but ads seem to be the only way forward for this site at the moment. So I've disabled my adblock filter for this site, and stuck in some ads.

The current ads are a bit ugly, and I'm going to tweak them and just have enough so they're not to obnoxious. They could even be useful sometimes, as now Pakistani tech companies are advertising on Google, so it'll be interesting (sometimes!) to see what comes up.

The forum software itself has undergone quite a big update, with a new mobile site and (I feel) nicer theme as well, as well as one thing which can be quite useful if used properly - tags!

wiredpakistan has a twitter account, @wiredpak. This will have short updates about the forums, and if anyone has a quick question, shoot it there. Talking of twitter, the twitter integration actually works, as you can see by my picture, which is being pulled from my twitter pic.

Feedback and suggestions welcome!

So, KO, finally, you are posting such kinds of ads on your forum. :wub:

^ Well, they're the most attractive ads after all. :P

I don't mind text ads, although it would suck a bit if image ads are added later.

In any case, a nice upgrade!

The text ads will get better, once adsense indexes the site, and I play around with where to put them and how to integrate them better into the site. I have no great love for ads either!

[quote=", post:4, topic:15709"]

The text ads will get better, once adsense indexes the site, and I play around with where to put them and how to integrate them better into the site. I have no great love for ads either!

[/quote]

You mean, better ‘‘date singles’’ ads than that? :rolleyes: (Alright, this is just a joke, never take it seriously.)

Great to see you guys back up, Khalid. :)

Don't forget to add a favicon.ico for the site as well. ;)

Great Update KO!. I'm glad WP is back on...the new look is pretty good. And more interactive. And about the ads.. I won't mind at all unless or untill the site stays updated and up. And yeah we should admit that site like these are blessings and don't come in free.!

The new look of wiredpakistan is just awesome :) Loved it :) and Welcome Back :)

Nah! looks aren't much attractive for me! but i'm fine with it and the "dating ads" lols!

Anyways nice to have it back.

Mobile theme is not working for me ATM.

I'm getting very interesting ads. How to grow mustaches -- Clinics in MIANWALI. Come on google ! :P

^ troll much :P

Anyways, the mobile theme worked once I changed it manually, but shouldn't it detect the mobile user and switch automatically?

[quote=“Specter, post:12, topic:15709”]

Anyways, the mobile theme worked once I changed it manually, but shouldn’t it detect the mobile user and switch automatically?

[/quote]

Just test, the theme doesn’t autodetect, now to figure out how to make it switch! On my phone it’s stuck on the desktop theme for some reason.

Someone mentioned favicons, here’s a quick and dirty one: http://wiredpakistan.com/favicon.ico

This is great! I was quite lost without Wired Pakistan! So glad to have it back online :)- not bothered about the ads anyway.

[quote=", post:13, topic:15709"]

Just test, the theme doesn’t autodetect, now to figure out how to make it switch! On my phone it’s stuck on the desktop theme for some reason.

Someone mentioned favicons, here’s a quick and dirty one: http://wiredpakistan.com/favicon.ico

[/quote]

Aaah yes, that someone was poor ol’ me. :D

Quick and dirty it is! :D That’s alright…I’m sure you’ll come up with something better. Tried arranging the letters horizontally, rather than vertically? :)

[quote=“Scrinner, post:11, topic:15709”]

I’m getting very interesting ads. How to grow mustaches – Clinics in MIANWALI. Come on google ! :P

[/quote]

Google ads can be fun. I was wondering what sort of ads people are selling in Pakistan.

Anybody remember the very first KO forums ?. What,

5-6 years ago ?. It feels almost sinful to use such slick

and glitzy interface, that you feel obligated to come up

with something insightful and substantive.

Very well done KO. The only thing I can think of, to

add to this, would be a string of cheerleaders on the

side... *cough*.

Sheikh 'You've come a long way, baby!' Chilli.

how do i get to the main forums page? i'm getting an error?

I am feeling that forum has slowed down. Still it is under DoS attack.

Yeah, the site doesn't seem to load sometimes while navigating through the forums. And seems to have got slow as well. Strange.