Wired Pakistan in Letter to Editor

I wrote to the letter to editor section of The News two weeks ago when YouTube was blocked and also wrote how idiotic it was to block wiredpakistan. They printed it today when both have been unblocked ages ago :)

A read though.

Can you post the letter itself, or a link to it?

The Daily Times had published my email earlier:

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
I run a popular travel website about Pakistan, offroadpakistan.com as well as a website focusing on technological happenings in Pakistan, wiredpakistan.com. They’re both hosted on the same server, and a few days ago, the PTA ordered them blocked. Now, these websites aren’t accessible through most ISPs in Pakistan. I want to take issue with the arbitrary nature in which these websites have been blocked, especially considering that offroadpakistan.com has done more to improve the image of Pakistan than anything the Tourism Ministry has ever undertaken. There is no content on either website which could justify black listing. Do websites even fall under the jurisdiction of PTA? From the charter reproduced on their website, it doesn’t seem so. While it is legal in Pakistan for the government to block websites, they must follow some sort of a system, codified by a law — at the moment, the whole procedure seems completely arbitrary and unfair. #
[/quote]

I wrote to the letter to editor section of The News two weeks ago when YouTube was blocked and also wrote how idiotic it was to block wiredpakistan. They printed it today when both have been unblocked ages ago :)

A read though.

[/quote]

i think i read that small topic in the news post at college

Rightly said by Daily Times.

Can you post the letter itself, or a link to it?

The Daily Times had published my email earlier:

[/quote]

I couldn’t find the letter online but I’ll attach a snap of it.

I also wrote a bit on how useful wiredpakistan is as a review site and to the ‘technical’ community but they edited it, lol and they replaced the words “some schmuck at PTA” to ‘authorities’ too :)

Good effort, Abbas!

Bravo Abbass

Thanks.. lets hope they don't ban us again for some other stupid reason in the future. And I think if if someone blocks this website again, all members should make it a point to write to all the local newspapers till someone takes notice.

I am feeling optimistic about a google ban :lol: - not really though. Maybe Youtube wasn't something big enough for the pakistani newspapers to talk about; at least not swiftly.

the thing is our Government is just messed up if they wanted to truely erase those videos from youtube they would have asked google or the ppl at youtube but instead they blocked youtube for the whole world

lets just look at our neighbor India for second last month they saw that on google maps some of their governmental buildings could be seen that could have caused alot of damage but did they block the site? No instead they asked google to censor those images and google censored them and every1 is happy

clearly the indian government understands more about technology than our government

BTW the whole youtube was not blocked by All ISPs. ISPs backed by TWA have got only specific url blocked whereas rest of the youtube had been running flawlessly.

This was the incompetency of engineers at PIE/PTCL who blocked whole domain instead of specific url, also they brought down whole globe's Youtube for about One hour. This news was coverd by BBC.