Windows XP to be pulled by June 30

Ok people so the news is Microsoft will stop selling new copies of Windows XP starting June 30, and will end support in another 18-24 months after that. Obviously consumers aren't happy with that since they'll be forced to buy Vista if they buy a new machine, and as already seen Vista received luke warm response in the past. Is Microsoft setting itself to shoot itself in the foot again? Comments?

"Microsoft confirms XP shipments to OEMs and retailers will stop June 30, as planned, ending weeks of speculation XP would live on..."

Source: http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Windows/Microsoft-Windows-XP-Dies-June-30-as-Planned/

huh :mad: .. i heard not till 2014... wht is this? .. i hope they are shooting on their private part :P .. they are going loopy or something... Google has done his job.. mesng with there minds.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Ok people so the news is Microsoft will stop selling new copies of Windows XP starting June 30, and will end support in another 18-24 months after that. Obviously consumers aren’t happy with that since they’ll be forced to buy Vista if they buy a new machine, and already seen Vista received luke warm response in the past. Is Microsoft setting itself to be shoot itself in the foot again? Comments?
[/quote]

boo yeah this a step which Microsoft has taken to destroy itself

meaning SUCIDE!!!

I have heard and seen companies upgrading from Win 2000 to XP recently. What are they gonna do now :lol: ?

haha i think there will be no updates for xp after sp3.

i dnt mind until unless they perfect vista like xp.. it really is a bloatware... 15 damn gb.. ok but its alot. smooth like feather plus the prices.. ooohhh too much.

boo yeah this a step which Microsoft has taken to destroy itself

meaning SUCIDE!!!

[/quote]

I think this will be a very bad business decision on Microsofts part and could potentially land them into grave trouble. I’m not sure about suicide though, since it depends on the consumers response in general. They could be mildly irritated yet not do much about it and go with Vista. Since people tend to be lazy and afraid of change this might very well happen. Or in the alternate scenario they might abandon Microsoft altogether and go with Apple or Linux. I think the time is right for Microsoft competitors to really step up and take advantage of this folly.

one good thing will be tht the computers with good enough power will be cheap. cuz they have to run vist but xp will be extremely g0od on thm... good for ppl who buy scnd hand branded pc's... but i think we can still use till we want it. and will the gaming companies shift asap to vista after june or will they stay with us till god knows when.. (till 2010 or 14)

MS already extended life of xp for one year n xp will still b available on cheap pc's,

n this is gud business decision on MS part coz now companies will b forced to pre install vista on pc's,

MS already extended life of xp for one year n xp will still b available on cheap pc’s,

n this is gud business decision on MS part coz now companies will b forced to pre install vista on pc’s,

[/quote]

and that is a good business decision how?

who is owl? Mustaffa?

who is owl? Mustaffa?
[/quote]

yes and he has been under many names goth also bein one of them

MS is trying to force people out of XP and into Vista, but I don't think people are ready to do that yet. Gartner group says Windows is "collapsing under its own weight" and that a radical change is needed fast to help Microsoft (and Windows) survive.

But on the other hand, I don't think really think Windows (or Microsoft for that matter) will just collapse and disappear overnight. They're just too big and too dug-in for that to happen any time soon. But Vista hasn't delivered as planned so I guess they're worried. People are already waiting for Windows 7!

it will be always available in pakistan

"Piracy"

it will be always available in pakistan

"Piracy"

[/quote]

Yes. But that isn’t doing Microsoft a lot of good is it! :)

Yes. But that isn’t doing Microsoft a lot of good is it! :)

[/quote]

who cares about Microsoft?

do they care to sell genuine windows here at affordable prices?

who cares about Microsoft?

do they care to sell genuine windows here at affordable prices?

[/quote]

You don’t seem to understand. Point is. If Microsoft dies, Windows dies with it. So you HAVE to care about Microsoft as a company since you use its products, regardless of if you actually pay for it or not!

You don’t seem to understand. Point is. If Microsoft dies, Windows dies with it. So you HAVE to care about Microsoft as a company since you use its products, regardless of if you actually pay for it or not!

[/quote]

good enough :)

[/quote]

Right. And when Microsoft officially pulls the plug on XP, we’re screwed because even though it’ll still be available to us courtesy the pirates, there won’t be any updates for it and software will stop supporting it. So eventually (or maybe rather quickly) a lot of us will still be forced to move on to Vista - or Windows 7 if that’s here by then.

I don’t think we have much choice in the matter - if we still want to use Windows. Of course there’s always the option of a Mac or Linux. :)

As I wrote elsewhere, I prefer XP over Vista. This wean off period of XP should be tied in with launch of windows 7. I am sure m-soft will not make the same mistakes it has made with Vista in Windows 7 and windoze 7 might prove to be as successful as XP.

Just speculating or maybe just daydreaming.

As I wrote elsewhere, I prefer XP over Vista. This wean off period of XP should be tied in with launch of windows 7. I am sure m-soft will not make the same mistakes it has made with Vista in Windows 7 and windoze 7 might prove to be as successful as XP.

Just speculating or maybe just daydreaming.

[/quote]

Yes but then Microsoft will have to clean up its act. First of all it’ll actually have to deliver Windows 7 in about 2 yrs, and not keep pushing back the launch like it did with Vista. And second, unlike Vista, it needs some serious improvements and needs a complete overhaul. Microsoft may not be able to survive another Windows disaster…