Windows X Announced - Coming 2k15

http://www.howtogeek.com/224805/the-start-menu-should-be-sacred-but-its-still-a-disaster-in-windows-10/

Still gotta agree with the linked article. What have Win10 users here done to modify start menu (for Win7-esque familiarity) and stave off the mohalay ki maasi type violation of privacy (through telemetry)?

My truly sad story

in the last 8 months.. i tried windows 8.1.. twice.. both times, there was a driver issue which would not install the driver on 1st attempt, and then on 2nd attempt it would resuult in blurry text issues. also, after 1 2 days.. windows would start doing boot in 5-8 MINUTES.. yes minutes.. and similiarly 2 3 min for shut downs.. that was acceptable but blurry text wasnt.. finally gave up on trying next gen and went back to the Solid Win 7.

latter tried windows 10 ..3 different times .. 1st time again same blurry driver issue.. went back to 7.. 2nd time new driver and some technical tootka , i finally got a proper install and perfect text and awesome scaling of everything, Win X is great at that indeed.. but again, there was the same 5 min boot issue on the same hardware where win 7 boots in around 8-10 seconds on the SSD.. there were however many default apps and getting rid of their Defaultness was a very big pain in butt..and apps started crashing and incompatibility with some crap...PC froze and now OS... so tried to reinstall Win X again bcz my usb drive had win 10 installation and couldnt use pc to make another bootable win7 as it was frozen..

3rd times the charm ,, right? well, again great driver and perfect text, but ths time i finally tried to activate windows, too bad there was no DAZ activator downloaded and the Win X didnot acept my network driver, .. Enough was Enough.. Faaaaak you Next Gen Windows

Screw you 10... i am going Windows 7.... and not upgrading till windows 13 comes out.. which will be probably after 2 years, since Gates forgot how to count.. :P

Farhan, your best partner in need is this

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

I've been following this guy since the early XP days, and believe you me, his tweaks are genuine and not some placebo effects. All his tweaks he mentions in the guide are perfectly safe and easily reversible should you not like the change. I'm anxiously awaiting his Windows 10 tweak guide release. As such, I've already made all the necessary changes to make it a local offline account and disable/remove all Metro crap. This means disabling all online/ data mining crap Microsoft has embedded in without damaging the functionality of the system.

About the blurry text issue, are you using an HDMI cable to connect your monitor to your PC, or is it the VGA cable ? HDMI has some intermittent issues with AMD drivers (a friend had them quite frequently on his 7950). Your best bet is to make manual changes to the display settings, that includes selecting an ICC profile that is an exact match for your monitor. Also, HDMI introduces some additional color depth tweaks that you could try to further enhance the clarity of text on Windows 8.1/10. I've never had that issue on Nvidia, so its best that you test everything step by step.

^ Only deals with Windows versions up to Win8. :(

I've been using Windows 8.1 on both my home and office PCs since it pretty much came out, I've barely had any issues with it. No slowdowns, no crashes, no driver issues (except some games, but they were easy to troubleshoot). My point? Don't blame the OS, blame the user. ;)

As far as Windows 10 is concerned... I just didn't like it, that simple. Maybe when they release Win 10.1, i might give it another try. :lol:

On my dual boot system, Windows 10 is running fine so far. But I like and use Win7 much more.. I think there is nothing ground breaking in the newest windows version, so sticking with windows 7 is perfectly fine as well.

I've noticed WinX boot times to be a little longer than Win7. Twenty to thirty seconds longer to be exact. But other than that, it is pretty fluid.

jdk..

i have had no issues with win 10 other than the horrendous 5 min boot and 3 min shutdown time , which happens in both 8and X but never in 7 or Xp.. even with 8, then back, boot is fone.. X then 7 boot is fine. right now a 5-7 sec boot in 7.

blur text was a driver issue as the control center first installed but driver didnt.. got around that with a newer driver version as well as installing intel drivers first.. so it was an easily solved problem , nothing with HDMI.

the ultimate windows tweaker for 8 was great especially the desktop right click tweaks.. .. its also awesome for 7 :)

i just dont like the overly self centered pretentious interface for X, which is also too dark (even 8 was better) which has too many default programs and extensions and the task manager looks like the source code of Wolfram Alpha.. also booting and games and many softwares had trouble with 10.. so... windows 13 should be the one for me..

I wait for thee, my pretty :D

Strange, because i have it on my gen.3 laptop for over a year now and it has been running smooth on ssd, boot time from sleep is faster than i can open my screen and from a shut-down is around 7-10 s. I've had hardware signing issues with a Atmel MCU programmer, so I had to do a workaround and disable driver signature enforcement from the systems menu.

Windows 10 has been praised by many, and yet here you are complaining for some reason i dont think windows are the problem.

^ 1 - if windows 10 runs great for you.. good for you.. now enjoy yourself and stop getting involved in others issues since you have nothing positive to contribute.

2 - EVERY single software and hardware combination will have some sort of compatibility issues.. if you are one of the GREATEST FEW people in the world who donot have any issues like such... good for you.. now enjoy yourself and stop getting involved in others issues since you have nothing positive to contribute.

3 - there are millions of websites,support groups and tech help forums all over the web for helping others who have problems and since there are millions of posts and articles related to lots of issues people are having all over the globe with windows 10..there are many on this forum as well.. if you luckily dont have any problem ever, good for you.. now enjoy and stop getting involved in others issues since you have nothing positive to contribute.

4 - if as usual you were unable to read basic english or just cant read at all, most of my issues were minor and most were solved myself, except just a couple..since you just had to post your useless cents here, mission accomplished.. good for you.. now enjoy and stop getting involved in others issues since you have nothing positive to contribute.

So, i installed the new November build of Win 10. I can honestly say it's improved. It's definitely more stable, less laggy, and more intuitive. There's still some suckery involved, but it's rather usable now. I think I'm gonna stick with it unless it bothers me later.

Windows 8.1 was great, but it's time to move on.

Windows 10 gets my approval! B)

Any environment requiring stable and reliable OS underpinning the applications being run will never go close to WinX. Even enterprises are currently very skittish about OS upgrades from Win7/Win8x to WinX and in a wait-and-see game.

WinX is only fit for disposable consumer grade use.

These things take time. Windows 7 mainstream support has already ended, and their extended support will end in a maximum of 5 years, then any serious working environment will be forced to upgrade to a newer OS for the sake of maintaining security & supporting latest frameworks and applications.

As for general usage share, Win 10 is growing at a decent pace: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-10-approaches-10-percent-market-share/

I'd say Windows 10's fate depends on how Microsoft plays their cards.

[quote=“Upsilon, post:50, topic:21546”]

So, i installed the new November build of Win 10. I can honestly say it’s improved. It’s definitely more stable, less laggy, and more intuitive. There’s still some suckery involved, but it’s rather usable now. I think I’m gonna stick with it unless it bothers me later.

Windows 8.1 was great, but it’s time to move on.

Windows 10 gets my approval! B)

[/quote]

Checked out new Windows 10 Version 1511 in vmware. Seems fine.

Thought to give it a try as my Primary OS, but no control over updates still not convincing for me.

^ I hate that too, but there are ways to overcome that. The simplest one is to set your wifi connection as a metered connection. I've done it & windows is not self updating itself anymore.

[quote=“Upsilon, post:54, topic:21546”]

^ I hate that too, but there are ways to overcome that. The simplest one is to set your wifi connection as a metered connection. I’ve done it & windows is not self updating itself anymore.

[/quote]

That’s right. But there is one more thing, Windows 10 randomly collects data and send it to microsoft for whatsoever reasons. Now whether i am concerned about my private data being sent is another thing, but i am mostly connected through Zong 3G so data is limited and i can’t have windows eating though my bandwidth at its own will.

In windows 7, i have pretty tight control over data usage.