Windows X Announced - Coming 2k15

Windows 10 to be Free Upgrade for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 Users

This offer will be applicable only for the first year following Windows 10 launch (after which, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 users will have to pay to upgrade to Windows 10).

Dunno about you guys but I'm not impressed by the event. Of course i didn't watch it (reading it saved me like 100 minutes out of that 120 minute livestream). First of all the free upgrade is probably limited to legit users, so the rest of us are gonna have to get it by the traditional means.

Secondly, the upgrades to both Windows 8.1 & Windows Phone 8.1 seem minimal, i wanted a lot more than what i see, but there's still time for improvements, so we'll see.

Thirdly, there was very little (if at all) exciting news about gaming, Phill Spencer had promised all that bullsh!t "gaming focus on PC" but we didn't see any of that. And no, i don't give a f*** about streaming Xbone games to PC. Also, Fable Legends is trash...

Fourthly, The tech showcase was probably the only decent part of the show. The MS holographic sound much more interesting than the typical Virtual Reality devices like Oculus Rift.

Finally, it seems like Microsoft's focus is entirely on linking all of their devices. Their so called "One OS, One Family" strategy is in place. They're sharing their features from one of their platform to another. Cortana is coming to PC. Metro is taking over Xbox interface. PCs are getting Xbox streaming support. Phil seems interested in doing the reverse as well. It all seems to be their priority rather than any major upgrades.

Also, things like Project Spartan (hate the name) may seem cool in intro, but we'll have to try it ourselves before we can come to a conclusion. Personally, I'd be more than happy to get rid of Chrome from my PC (i only use it for better compatibility), i never did like it and would welcome a worthy replacement.

Did i miss anything important? Well, there was the TV thing, but it's irrelevant to us AFAICS. There was some info about DX12, but it was mostly power-saving related. They could at least have shown some gameplay footage with DX12 related improvements, and i mean improvements in graphics and performance.

Also, we still don't have a release date for the consumer preview? Is there still time till it's release or what? Many questions remain unanswered...

P.S. Why did i write this long piece of text? Did Farhan's soul take over my body or something? :-p

^^^ it barely had 5 minutes of my interest. aka Desktop interface demo :)

With a little bit customization, this "Start Menu" will eliminate the need to use third party software hopefully.

the holo is just a prototype, when it will mature, it will evolve just like the 2000 different steam controller versions..and as soon as it gets gaming support, which it will since MS is focussing on gaming on PC as a major front, then Occulus may have a worthy rival, as it would also work mainstream in real life.

from what i gathered

Holo lense = Google glass + Occulus

This win 10 is gonna take teh best of win 7 and win 8, and make it win 15 (-5)...

so it will be a Win Win situation for all of us probably (pun intended)

2 browsers by default, cortona will get more and more improved as it has to work across 3 platforms, and metro for touch and start for pc will solve all the silly problems as Gull said above..

new start = classic start + improvements - win 8 BS..

also since almost every UI inside the new win is gonna get overhauled, it HAS to be great news...

consider that Windows 7 is upgraded to win 10.. Win 8 never existed like vista

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

P.S. Why did i write this long piece of text? Did Farhan's soul take over my body or something? :-p

[/quote]

:)

Shrek is love, Shrek is life :D

^^^ i don't get the hate for Vista???

what's so bad about it. For me seven was just Vista refined a bit more. That's it. :)

I remember i was rocking XP on my Pentium 4 with 512MB RAM when vista came out and damn it was love at first sight. Just like it was when i moved from 98 to XP.

Next thing i did was rush to the market, got another stick of 512MB RAM and an entry level graphic card just to enable Aero. :D

Put Vista On and bye bye XP.

But as specs were not nearly enough for Vista, after few months i ended up getting Q6600+4GB+8600GT and rocked Vista till seven came out.

Apparently Dark theme will be back in office 2016 version.

^ That looks neat. It'll be great while working in a dark room.

-----

Also, i agree, Vista hate is unjustified, it wasn't nearly as bad as people make it seem. Also, i liked it's themes and task bar more than 7. B)

[quote=“Upsilon, post:27, topic:21546”]

Also, i agree, Vista hate is unjustified, it wasn't nearly as bad as people make it seem. Also, i liked it's themes and task bar more than 7. B)

[/quote]

Visuals/eye candy peaked with Vista.

After that we are gradually going back to pre-2000 era i think.

the hate is universal for vista.. by far considered the worst \os \ms ever made.

imagine riding a bicycle.. a brand new wrapped bike you open up.. its shiny, neat, has gears and sic brakes, and sports model with water bottle..

all good right?

the bike has disc brakes but handles are broken.. it works but hurts to press the broken brake lever with sharp edges... the bike has a wide design seat but no foam cover.. bike has gears bt the chain is covered and canot be oiled so grinding noises..bike has a water bottle built in but someone forgot to unseal the cap. .

This my friend is Vista..

all windows 7 did was, replace the brake handles, cover the seat, oil the chain and open the bottle cap. and voila, your best birthday present ever.. :)

that is all. (small sized post for upsilon )

New test build 9926

Ugh, those kindergarten colors are making me bawl my eyes out <_<

For once I'd like something like this to make it in a final build of windows. Is it really so hard MS :angry:

THe Soft7 theme was one my most favorite theme of all time. I'd almost exclusively used it for 5 years before switching to 8. The same guy made a mockup concept theme for Windows 10. Really digging that look though :)

file.jpeg

^ Yeah, see that's exactly why i used to like Vista's UI. It was saturated in a good way. It looked stylish. Win 10 on the other hand looks flamboyant & obnoxious as hell... -_-

Visuals/3D/Aero/eye candy was the thing of last decade.

This decade is all about Flat/Minimal/Clean/2D stuff. :D Not only Windows but Android too.

signed up for |MS tester program.. will download the next build / or when new windows install needed.

how much time limit are your getting for the build instal?

Well i am using build 9926 from yesterday going smooth , took a risk uninstalled my Previous OS windows 8.1 and upgraded to Technical Preview. seems like bit buggy but not much that i have to go back to old OS .. will be using it and keep sharing feedback.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:34, topic:21546”]

signed up for |MS tester program.. will download the next build / or when new windows install needed.

[/quote]

Took 15-20 minutes in installation ( i did clean installation didnt use any virtual machine)

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:34, topic:21546”]

[/quote]

Be advised if thinking to install as your main OS. It will have bugs here and there, and it isn't as smooth as 8.1 yet.

Colour choices for icons/folders are bit weird.

Vmware Workstation is a good software if you want to just test ride a new OS.

[quote="DJNOMI, post:36, topic:21546"]

Took 15-20 minutes in installation ( i did clean installation didnt use any virtual machine)

[/quote]

Took eight minutes to install it in vmware. While 8.1 needs only five.

well i did a fresh install right now no major issue i felt. going fine.

for 90% users it should be as good as the final build.. as long as there are no extra power useers..main comaptbility check is with older softwars and games..

i asked time limit for keep using the windows.. like 30 days or unlimited time?

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:39, topic:21546”]

for 90% users it should be as good as the final build.. as long as there are no extra power useers..main comaptbility check is with older softwars and games..

i asked time limit for keep using the windows.. like 30 days or unlimited time?

[/quote]

looks like their are some application compatibility issues even my graphics drivers (Intel 4600) is not getting updated , Google drive sync issues .. Application installation process is not working properly. so for hardcore users i think it is suggested to wait.

i think time is unlimited until MS is going to commercialize windows as final build.