Windows Vista Version

How many Windows Vista Versions like Vista Home Basic, Vista Ultimate and how much hard disk space required for that all versions?

Please following pattern:-

S/No Versions Name HHD Space Required in GB

1. Vista Home Basic - ???? (GB)

2. Vista Ultimate - ???? (GB)

3. ??????????? ??? (GB)

Thanx For Help

20 Gigs or so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_editions

Thanx KO and Firestorm.

i installed vista ultimate 64bit

it took about 9gB space on first install

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

i installed vista ultimate 64bit

it took about 9gB space on first install

[/quote]

hello man r u sure abt space…i took 22gb on my system fresh installation

There is bit of thing that we all should keep in our mind. Unlike Windows XP, in Vista, there is no direct way to turn off Hibernate file. That means when we install Vista it also create Hibernate file in system partition equal to computer's RAM.

If you have 2 GB RAM then Vista will create 2GB Hibernate file, thus giving an illusion that Vista has foot print of extra 2GB.

If you don't use Sleep mode then google it to find registry entries to enable and disable Hibernate file (Sleep mode in Vista).

^what need to do so??doesnt hibernate mode useful??

^yes. It is.

there are a few reasons when to hibernate your pc. totally depends that what the reason for your.

A quick and simple one of a the reasons.

suppose the power(from direct supply or UPS) to your pc is just going to be terminated in 1 minute or two, and you know that. and you are working on a lot of things that you can't afford to close them.

there comes an option for you to Hibernate your pc just with a couple of clicks or with a hot key. and when you restart your pc you will see your last working state when you put that on hibernate.

It makes sense I think.

If restoring from Hibernation takes more time then booting then definitely I shall select booting unless I am in a situation as mentioned by bellskar.

Just imagine restoring 8GB RAM or booting from RAID 0.

I installed my current Vista64 on my 37GB C:/ partitino back in July.

With time the C:/ got used up after i kept installing regular usage softwares like MS Office, Macromedia products (nothing useless just 'required' products) etc, etc.

Uptill last month the only thing left with 1GB or so. and I was stuck with getting low-disk-space every hour. Anway i expanded the damn partition to 80GBs+ now. and vista is cool

Btw vista's hibernation works like charms. Saves load-up times (caz it takes that time while going to hibernation) Only problem so far, my Sony Ericsson K790i's internet conection has to be disconnected before the hibernation can proceed.

Is this hibernate the same as the "Sleep" option in the Start menu or is it something different?

^ no. both are diffrent. sleep mode doesn't turn off your computer. while hibernating turns your computer completely off.

only similarity is that both keep your working state alive.

hibernating is not a magic though :) it takes a physical space on your hard disk as you can read this thread throughly. when you hibernate, windows creates an image of the current state and stores on that physical space reserved for hibernate.

while sleep mode doesn't require any physical space on your hdd.

I installed my current Vista64 on my 37GB C:/ partitino back in July.

With time the C:/ got used up after i kept installing regular usage softwares like MS Office, Macromedia products (nothing useless just ‘required’ products) etc, etc.

Uptill last month the only thing left with 1GB or so. and I was stuck with getting low-disk-space every hour. Anway i expanded the damn partition to 80GBs+ now. and vista is cool

Btw vista’s hibernation works like charms. Saves load-up times (caz it takes that time while going to hibernation) Only problem so far, my Sony Ericsson K790i’s internet conection has to be disconnected before the hibernation can proceed.

[/quote]

bro vista makes regular backups…do delete them i m sure these backups r consuming more than 5gb of ur drive

^ no. both are diffrent. sleep mode doesn’t turn off your computer. while hibernating turns your computer completely off.

only similarity is that both keep your working state alive.

hibernating is not a magic though :) it takes a physical space on your hard disk as you can read this thread throughly. when you hibernate, windows creates an image of the current state and stores on that physical space reserved for hibernate.

while sleep mode doesn’t require any physical space on your hdd.

[/quote]

apart from that sleep mode A.K.A safe mode doesnt survives power failures mean to say if there is a power failure when your computer is in sleep mode then your work will be lost

I Like the Visual style Of Vista But i am runnin xp because Of Low ram

^ G.a.m.e

Always stay optimistic. The day you get more RAM (DDR2 is cheap) then within days you'll be jumping on the train of Vista ;)

I Like the Visual style Of Vista But i am runnin xp because Of Low ram
[/quote]

i installed vista ultimate and business edition on vmware 512mb ram for each instance working fine no problem ooh disk space 10gb for each.

“i hop you all guys know that vista come in single dvd and depend on product/licence key you enter you get vista flavour just in case if some one missed”

^ flatpack

Trying turning off Hibernate (Sleep mode). You'll need to edit registry for it (search Google). Delete hibernate file. Turn off Volume Shadow Copy (System Restore), again using registry. Delete all files in store in VSC. Then tell us how much space Vista is consuming?

Why because I don't use Volume Shadow Copy (System Restore) because it's bloated crappy resource hogging technology. I learn it within two months after installing Windows XP.

When ever i try to activate windvd7 in window vista>a message appear that activation failed due to internal error.any soln. to that?