Windows Vista on P4

Hi guyz,

I have a P4 2.40C (Hyper-Threading enabled) system, Ram 1GB.

My question is , If is buy a new 256 MB graphics card, then can i be able to run Windows Vista on my PC with Aero interface ???

1 gig of RAM isn't that great even to run Windows XP. Wouldn't recommend running Vista on it! :)

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Hi guyz,

My question is , If is buy a new 256 MB graphics card, then can i be able to run Windows Vista on my PC with Aero interface ???

[/quote]

if u r installin vista foe the effects than try linux its much less resource intensive and has pretieer eye candy

1 gig of RAM isn’t that great even to run Windows XP. Wouldn’t recommend running Vista on it! :)
[/quote]

What 1024 MB Ram is not enough for vista??

In my view dats above Windows XP requirement.

if u r installin vista foe the effects than try linux its much less resource intensive and has pretieer eye candy

[/quote]

But will i be able to run my windows programs on dat LINUX OS???

But will i be able to run my windows programs on dat LINUX OS???

[/quote]

yes by usin a program called wine

i will prove it utorrent is a windows application but u can see in the screenshot below that its runs perfectly

2000686782454014970_rs.jpg

Wats the requirements of Linux.

Will it run on my above mentioned PC specifications.

Wats the requirements of Linux.

Will it run on my above mentioned PC specifications.

[/quote]

it will run perfectly on your curretnt set up in fact the minimum requirment is 700 mhz processor and only 384 mb of RAM and unlike windows linux runs perfectly on the minimum specs

Well it really depends on how you use your computer. Even I don't use Linux as my sole OS since I'm in university and often need to use software for school which is not supported on linux. You could try a dual boot with XP/Vista and Linux.

it will run perfectly on your curretnt set up in fact the minimum requirment is 700 mhz processor and only 384 mb of RAM and unlike windows linux runs perfectly on the minimum specs

[/quote]

Where to get it? i mean should i go for a CD or download it from web .

any link for download ??

Well it really depends on how you use your computer. Even I don’t use Linux as my solely OS since I’m in university and often need to use software for school which is not supported on linux. You could try a dual boot with XP/Vista and Linux.
[/quote]

Yeah dual booting is also another option

Where to get it? i mean should i go for a CD or download it from web .

any link for download ??

[/quote]

You probably won’t find it available on CD. You’ll have to download it and burn it onto a CD. Try Ubuntu. Its more catered towards everyday use and has a large support base due to its popularity-: www.ubuntu.com

You probably won’t find it available on CD. You’ll have to download it and burn it onto a CD. Try Ubuntu. Its more catered towards everyday use and has a large support base due to its popularity-: www.ubuntu.com
[/quote]

well that is true for most versions of Linux but Ubuntu has a program called ship it where they deliever CDs of Ubuntu to ur home for free with 2-3 weeks

Nomi929Hi guyz,

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

i had a p4 3.0 ghz hyperthreading enabled with 768 mb ram, onboard graphics x300>>ran vista just fine ?????

what 2 gb of ram will get you is the "omph" and of course it will run a little faster>>add a 256 mb card if you want to run aero

Nomi929Hi guyz,

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

i had a p4 3.0 ghz hyperthreading enabled with 768 mb ram, onboard graphics x300>>ran vista just fine ???

what 2 gb of ram will get you is the “omph” and of course it will run a little faster>>add a 256 mb card if you want to run aero

[/quote]

How much it costs for a new 256mb graphics card for my system.

and second thing i have intel motherboard 865GBF in that system, is there any vista drivers for that motherboard.

for vista drivers for your motherboard check intel.com>>graphics cards prices are on galaxy.com.pk>>see what you have agp or pci express slot>>then choose grpahic card accordingly

for vista drivers for your motherboard check intel.com>>graphics cards prices are on galaxy.com.pk>>see what you have agp or pci express slot>>then choose grpahic card accordingly
[/quote]

my motherboard got both slots, which is better AGP or PCI express slot.

my motherboard got both slots, which is better AGP or PCI express slot.

[/quote]

well to be short go for pci-express cause these gpus r cheaper these days n u can get gud ones out there … u can get a decent 512mb xfx gpu i guess for just 2600 rupees im usin nvidia 7100 n my aero theme is even enabled n yup u can enjoy ur vista on this old machine … if u face any difficulty u can use blinds or some other software n can turn ur xp to a vista like out look … depends on ur needs :)

http://www.galaxy.com.pk/store/xfx.htm

Forget Linux, he's going to go mad trying to look for drivers for everything and forget Vista, it's a resource hog...just get Windowblinds and a decent Vista skin for XP. From what I can tell you just want Aero, so Windowblinds with the appropriate skin will give you that.

if he wants vista just for the eye-candy, then XP with a good visual theme and icon pack is good enough for him (you can also modify the boot and logon screen if you want to get a bit mroe hardcore).

If you want vista for functionality, then trust me, you'll love it, just up ur ram to 2GBs atleast and get a decent video card. Vista is soooo stable, it hasnt crashed in the last 2months even once! (a grreat great great improvement from XP), the security, ... if you keep it running with UAC turned on, you wont even need any resource-leeching antivirus.

- A satisfied user!