i am thinking of Getting windows 7

Whats the Difference Between

Windows

Starter

Home Basic

Home Premium

Professional

Ultimate

Prices ranges from (Rs/-3400-16400)(Galaxy.pk)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

Google is your friend...

True True

and so are the people on wiredPakistan :)

Well. If you are buying it for your home then Windows 7 starter is more than enough and much better than XP in terms of performance. All of the "flashy" parts of the OS are gone such as Aero, Media Center, transperancy, some premium games and some premium tools. Home Basic is waste as compared to Starter. You should either choose Starter or Premium since Professional is more suited to Corporate environment.

^ Starter sucks, completely, it has way too many limitations. The minimum one should go for is Home Basic.

[quote=“Upsilon, post:5, topic:14561”]

^ Starter sucks, completely, it has way too many limitations. The minimum one should go for is Home Basic.

[/quote]

Can you please clarify the limitations you are talking about. If you are talking about:

- 3 program limit - Its no longer there, you can use as many program as you like.

- Aero - If somebody at your home is going to use it, for example, Dad and Mom, they dont care about these things.

- Ability to change wallpaper - again no one at home bothers - and if you really want to do it, then there are program available for starter which allow you to change wallpapers easily.

My opinion is based on strictly home use only. If the OP is a power user then Home Premium would be suitable.

^ ok, i'll only mentions possible important things for home-users, aka noobs.

* 2GB ram limit

* 32bit only

* No fast user switching

* No custom wallpaper (seriously, nobody (not even home users) like to see the same wallpaper everyday.

I am using Window XP and I will update to window 7.