Will you upgrade to Windows 8? Why or why not?

Microsoft will be releasing Windows 8 in the coming months. Do you intend on upgrading to that OS and, if so, why? If not, why not. If there is some particular feature of Windows 8 that causes you to upgrade be sure and mention it.

Thanks

yes i sure will.

I don't believe that i'll buy it, but i'm pretty sure with time i'll use it, but currently i'm satisfied with win7. And i ask myself a question "are these guys at microsoft are !@#$%^&*, why did they release another early version of windows after win7 being a hit.

Option 6: Gonna try the final build, then decide whether to upgrade or not.

I hope I'll, as if we put an eye on previous upgrades, the only chaval upgrade was Win Vista and they knew the reason themselves (security and bla bla) and that was also too much hardware demanding. Other than that every upgrade was worth buying. I hope I'll go for new but after some time, let them come up with all drivers.

No thanks, increased hardware requirements, more rearrangement of interface, tiny tweaks, new features that I can live without. I will stay with Windows XP until it becomes impossible to survive because what matters most is how much work I get done and not how beautiful the GUI is.

[quote=“mutee, post:6, topic:16635”]

I will stay with Windows XP until it becomes impossible to survive because what matters most is how much work I get done and not how beautiful the GUI is.

[/quote]

Your wasting your life. We all get our work done much faster with fab GUI, beat that.

No thanks, increased hardware requirements, more rearrangement of interface, tiny tweaks, new features that I can live without. I will stay with Windows XP until it becomes impossible to survive because what matters most is how much work I get done and not how beautiful the GUI is.

[/quote]

Why don’t you switch then to Windows ME, the best window ever :P

redtooth-heretic: I saved 16gb of HD space, my RAM is not overloaded with GUI, my GPU is not trying to cope with the transparency, my processor is not burdened by a "fab" new kernel. The kind of specs my finances allow and the kind of work I do cannot be done with a new OS at the same price, so there is no competition, I win hands down.

Try working on a DAW project that needs 95% CPU power and 800mb RAM on a system with only 1gb memory, a cut-down 2Ghz Core2Duo running Windows 7 or Windows Vista.

nvd650: Are you saying I should jump on every new version of Windows without weighing the benefits and disadvantages? An upgrade is not necessary at all, unless there is a specific requirement or a hardware restriction you are facing. All my hardware and software work perfect on XP so an upgrade is useless to me.

It's still a little early to say as it's just Consumer "Beta". I probably upgrade to Windows 8 but definitely won't jump to it as soon as the final version will be released. I'll wait a little and read all the reviews, probably wait for few more months until they'll release SP1, I'll test it in virtual machine. If I find it good enough to be my main OS then I'll upgrade my machine. Otherwise, I am currently contended with Windows 7. But remember that I simply skipped Windows Vista. However, so far the news about Windows 8 are good. Let's see how it will turn out.

[quote=“mutee, post:9, topic:16635”]

redtooth-heretic: I saved 16gb of HD space, my RAM is not overloaded with GUI, my GPU is not trying to cope with the transparency, my processor is not burdened by a “fab” new kernel. The kind of specs my finances allow and the kind of work I do cannot be done with a new OS at the same price, so there is no competition, I win hands down.

Try working on a DAW project that needs 95% CPU power and 800mb RAM on a system with only 1gb memory, a cut-down 2Ghz Core2Duo running Windows 7 or Windows Vista.

nvd650: Are you saying I should jump on every new version of Windows without weighing the benefits and disadvantages? An upgrade is not necessary at all, unless there is a specific requirement or a hardware restriction you are facing. All my hardware and software work perfect on XP so an upgrade is useless to me.

[/quote]

You don’t need to have fancy transparency and other graphical gimmicks to run Windows 7. You can turn off transparency and simply switch to “older style of Windows” (which is similar to Windows XP/2000) and enjoy the full blown speed of “simple” GUI while getting benefits of newer OS.

There is no problem of using Windows XP on a Pentium 4. However, above that, if you have a multi-core processor or if you have more than 3GB of RAM then Windows 7 can really give you better results.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
[/quote]

Why you have 1GB of RAM? It’s such a big bottle neck for development. Please try increasing your RAM. You’ll definitely see benefits of having more RAM on a development machine.

I love these idiotic threads every time new version of windows come out, will you upgrade boo hoo blah blah? mommy daddy help new os.....

there are the same people crying wolf about every new version of windows os and then they start using the new os moment it comes out.......

Limited RAM is a bottleneck for everything, unless all you do is browse and watch videos etc. I do audio production and music work, 1GB is kinda limiting but I can survive, its a huge leap from 512mb I had for years :D

I personally don't see the benefits of upgrading, my work revolves around a set model of applications which are not evolving (DAWs and VST plugins), as in they do not require me to move to 64bit or anything, they are nicely stuck at win32/x86 model and that is why it is convenient for me to keep using XP without worrying about RAM upgrade or new OS.

There is no option for downloading via torrents in the poll :huh:

[/quote]

The Windows 8 hardware requirements have not increased. Instead they have decreased!

wat r least requirements 4 windows 8 can soombody post?

^ Same as Windows 7.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
Architecture x86 (32-bit) - x64 (64-bit)

Processor: 1 GHz

Memory (RAM): 1 GB - 2 GB

Graphics Card: DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

HDD free space: 16 GB - 20 GB

[/quote]

i am happy wit win 7

[quote=“mutee, post:9, topic:16635”]

redtooth-heretic: I saved 16gb of HD space, my RAM is not overloaded with GUI, my GPU is not trying to cope with the transparency, my processor is not burdened by a “fab” new kernel. The kind of specs my finances allow and the kind of work I do cannot be done with a new OS at the same price, so there is no competition, I win hands down.

[/quote]

only your finances are restricting you from upgrading to a PC which will allow you to improve your quality of life whilst using computer, its not windows 7 fault, don’t blame MS for it mate :)

My work stations are old and I am sure, company won't release drivers for Windows 8 for my hardware. So, I shall try to stick to 7 until or unless I observe something adorable in 8 and switch forward to it.