Will this DSL Modem Work?

I had purchased a DSL modem from a Canadian based ISP called www.Bell.ca (Toronto, Canada). I have now brought that modem to Pakistan and want to use it with an ISP here preferably Link DOT Net.

My question is that will I be able to use this very modem with DSL providers as is Pakistan? I ask this is because I am certain that every modem provided by an ISP has their own version of firmware installed in it to work effectively with their network. Thus, if I were to use the Bell's version of firmware installed modem with another ISP, will it work? Or have I wasted my money in purchasing this device?

Secondly, if I were to install a generic firmware for this modem, would that make it more capable of using with another ISP in Pakistan?

Full details of my modem are as following:

Bought from: www.Bell.ca

Name: Siemens SpeedStream 4200 Ethernet/USB ADSL Modem

Assembled and Made in: China

Thanks for your replies in advance!

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I had purchased a DSL modem from a Canadian based ISP called www.Bell.ca (Toronto, Canada). I have now brought that modem to Pakistan and want to use it with an ISP here preferably Link DOT Net.

My question is that will I be able to use this very modem with DSL providers as is Pakistan? I ask this is because I am certain that every modem provided by an ISP has their own version of firmware installed in it to work effectively with their network. Thus, if I were to use the Bell’s version of firmware installed modem with another ISP, will it work? Or have I wasted my money in purchasing this device?

Secondly, if I were to install a generic firmware for this modem, would that make it more capable of using with another ISP in Pakistan?

Full details of my modem are as following:

Bought from: www.Bell.ca

Name: Siemens SpeedStream 4200 Ethernet/USB ADSL Modem

Assembled and Made in: China

Thanks for your replies in advance!

[/quote]

95% chances it will work :) on each ISP who is providing DSL services here in Pakistan :)

Okay, thanks I will give it a try and let you know!

if it supports adsl2+ modulation then it ll surely work

Wow! does LDN still exist... well i think they should commit suicide :D

I tried using the modem with LINK DSL to no avail. I hooked up the modem just like the LINK DSL modem but it gives me limited connectivity. So I tried making a new connection by using the PPPoE username/password provided to me byINk DSL. I added that from within windows XP > Network Connections > Create a new Connection

After wards I clicked on the "Connect" button of this new connection I made but it gets stuck on the connecting through WAN miniport part and gives me a connection error and no internet connectivity.

I tried to open 192.168.1.1 (I think that is the modems settings address) but it wouldn't open either.

What should I should do to access the settings page of the modem or to get the internet to work on it!

Thanks in advance!