Will solar panel damage my battery

AOA everybody,

Hope everybody is fine.

I want to ask a question. my setup is as follows.

1. APC ups sua1500i.

2. 2 x 175ah AGS batteries.

3. solar panel 1 x 200 watts.

4. CC LandStar LS1524.

total load is approx (500 watts) DC 20 amps.

my question is both ups and solar panel are charging the battery at same time. will it damage batteries??

Thanks.

I think you need a 'hybrid' ups, which uses both solar and grid power to charge the battery (two inputs go to the UPS, one charging output comes out), but I know s**t about solar. Looking into a similar setup for myself.

u mean u r charging from ups as well as from solar too at the same time ?

if your answer is YES , then it depends , that what is th etype of that charge controller u r using , if it is of premium quality MPPT c/c then most probably it will LIMIT its output when u also turn on the WAPDA / KESC charging via ups . and if it is not MPPT and it is ordinary PWM one then the chances are that this c/c will damage itself.

More over ,

175 X 2 on 24 volts are enough capacity to absorb total charging current from the setup you mentioned .

200 watts panel will give around 5 to 6 amps max and ups will give 9 to 10 amps , the safe side of your battery bank charging is 22 amps to 24 amps .

It is not a wise idea to mix up 2 charging sources . Rest the choice is yours .

good luck .

Nadeem Ahmed

[quote=“nawazsf, post:, topic:”]

AOA everybody,

Hope everybody is fine.

I want to ask a question. my setup is as follows.

1. APC ups sua1500i.

2. 2 x 175ah AGS batteries.

3. solar panel 1 x 200 watts.

4. CC LandStar LS1524.

total load is approx (500 watts) DC 20 amps.

my question is both ups and solar panel are charging the battery at same time. will it damage batteries??

Thanks.

[/quote]

i think u can use magnet connector automaticlly work...when wapda gone automatically ur batry will charge frm solar when wapda come ur batry willl charge frm wapda cut frm solar....

Yes i m charging from ups as well as from solar too at the same time. The CC is pwm type not mppt

What is magnet connector? From where i can buy it. Any price idea.

PWM or MPPT doesnot make ANY difference as regards charging..

we have installed solar on many apc ups in past 2 years, and all work together fine.. using same setup at home.. that is the advantage of apc.

as long as your battery is new and healthy and used only on apc, you should have no problems, unless battery has a weak cell or manufacturing defect.. when the EPS CC provides solar power, the apc will automatically reduce its charging current to as low as zero amps, meaning all charging is done by solar and your electricity consumption for charging is zero which is one of the main source of high bills...

in future when you add another panel, your apc will almost shut down it its charging all day as all the power and charging will be in excess and will be from the solar. apc will stop charging.

your setup is fine, and you can check charging by using any dc clamp meter yourself.. also CC have superior charging than apc alone, as their PF is high and are very specialized units. also they will keep your battery in proper float value for a 24V setup, apc is a little lower in its reading..

First off all thanks everybody for detailed explanation.

my panel gives max 1.75amps on current setup of 24v. while when i had a 12v local ups setup, my panel used to give around 3-4amps max. now why it doesn't give me 5-6amps in 24v system.

@farhan_ds.

""When the EPS CC provides solar power, the apc will automatically reduce its charging current to as low as zero amps, meaning all charging is done by solar""..... the strange thing is when wapda comes apc gets superiority and charges at 8-10amps and solar power amps reduces to 0.5amps. why this happens as you said apc will automatically reduce its charging. i m using this landstar LS1524 CC http://www.cellvenergy.com/products/controller/LandStar/LS1024-LS1524-LS2024.html#characteristics-tab

@zulfiali86

What is magnet connector? From where i can buy it. Any price idea.

my setup is as follows

sample-solar-cabin-setup.jpg

cuz 24v is half of 12v, to produce total power, current must be double if voltage is half.. in the end, power out is the same

P= V x Amp..

apc gets priority maybe cz your batteries are too drained by your load.. so battery will take as much power as needed.. since the panel is only giving 1-2 amps, battery may need around 10 amps, so 2+8 = 10.. when you will add more panels in future you will get more power from it and less required from wapda,.. apc is highly sensitive to voltages and amps, and reduce itself..

when my solar gives around 4-6 amps in early morning, apc gives around 14-16 Amps.. that is a 48v system... in mid day, solar gives around 24amp, and ups is at 0.1 to 0.3amps max.. sometimes -0.1 or -0.5A..

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:6, topic:22041”]

PWM or MPPT doesnot make ANY difference as regards charging..

we have installed solar on many apc ups in past 2 years, and all work together fine.. using same setup at home.. that is the advantage of apc.

[/quote]

#LOL

PWM doesnt have ability to boost the voltage like MPPT ones , as MPPT having built in system using the DC to DC power converter . And when the charging from wapda / ups will make the battery charge around 80 percent the PWM charger will simply shut down it self :)

But in the case of mppt charger , it will not disconnect but boost the voltage and limit the current as per the need and thats a huge difference in charging ! how come you are saying that it makes NO difference ?????

This is the same scenario , IF you put one PWM and one MPPT on same battery then the PWM shuts off after the battery bank (lets say 24 volts) reaches the voltage 26.5 or so , but in MPPT it takes the battery to 28.9 or 29 volts and then cut off the charging .

any how , good luck with the clients :)

[quote=“nawazsf, post:7, topic:22041”]

@farhan_ds.

""When the EPS CC provides solar power, the apc will automatically reduce its charging current to as low as zero amps, meaning all charging is done by solar""..... the strange thing is when wapda comes apc gets superiority and charges at 8-10amps and solar power amps reduces to 0.5amps. why this happens as you said apc will automatically reduce its charging. i m using this landstar LS1524 CC http://www.cellvenergy.com/products/controller/LandStar/LS1024-LS1524-LS2024.html#characteristics-tab

[/quote]

thats y i said its not good to connect DIFFERENT types of chargers together , it will HAPPEN , bcz the cutoff voltages are set differently , SIMPLE .

and more over the people WHO RELLY KNOW why the really technical guys always recommend to remain in "+" "-" 5 percent of CURRENT even in joining 2 or more arrays of PV modules , those who dont know will DEFINITELY hook a 2 amps panel with 8 amps one Even the VOLTS are same.

^ Either you didnot understand the OP question, or you didnot understand my explanation, or you failed to relate the two...

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:11, topic:22041”]

^ Either you didnot understand the OP question, or you didnot understand my explanation, or you failed to relate the two...

[/quote]

i failed to verify / authenticate your logic .

^ thats your failure at your end.,

is my ups original because on the back side its printed "made in china"

does apc ups manufactured in china

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:8, topic:22041”]

What is ur battery size

Wcuz 24v is half of 12v, to produce total power, current must be double if voltage is half… in the end, power out is the same

P= V x Amp…

apc gets priority maybe cz your batteries are too drained by your load… so battery will take as much power as needed… since the panel is only giving 1-2 amps, battery may need around 10 amps, so 2+8 = 10… when you will add more panels in future you will get more power from it and less required from wapda,… apc is highly sensitive to voltages and amps, and reduce itself…

when my solar gives around 4-6 amps in early morning, apc gives around 14-16 Amps… that is a 48v system… in mid day, solar gives around 24amp, and ups is at 0.1 to 0.3amps max… sometimes -0.1 or -0.5A…

[/quote]

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:8, topic:22041”]

cuz 24v is half of 12v, to produce total power, current must be double if voltage is half… in the end, power out is the same

P= V x Amp…

apc gets priority maybe cz your batteries are too drained by your load… so battery will take as much power as needed… since the panel is only giving 1-2 amps, battery may need around 10 amps, so 2+8 = 10… when you will add more panels in future you will get more power from it and less required from wapda,… apc is highly sensitive to voltages and amps, and reduce itself…

when my solar gives around 4-6 amps in early morning, apc gives around 14-16 Amps… that is a 48v system… in mid day, solar gives around 24amp, and ups is at 0.1 to 0.3amps max… sometimes -0.1 or -0.5A…

[/quote]

what is ur battery ah ???

200x4