Wifi Router goes down even of UPS

I have PTCL Modem along with TP-Link Wifi Router both connected with UPS.

Most of the time when the Power goes down, although the UPS made up everything. But the wifi connectivity goes to "limited connectivity"(No IP assigned). The router & modem has powered up but the delay of nano-seconds while switching from WAPDA to UPS become it inactive.

To make it active we have to on-off the switch, for establish connection properly.

My DHCP working on PTCL Modem. Any idea if any one has faced such problem.

You must be using a low amp adaptor. Is this the original adaptor came with the device?

Yes these are came along with devices. I am using a power extension between them.

Which UPS you are using ? Is it a proper UPS or some kind of local / Chinese stuff ?

may be modified sinewave current is responsible for immediate bad response.

Yar its Homage UPS having LCD on it. Not remeber the model#.

Weak battery maybe. Voltages of it might drop on instant load. Giving a glitch in the continuous supply to your routers..

[quote=“Maverick, post:6, topic:16252”]

Yar its Homage UPS having LCD on it. Not remeber the model#.

[/quote]

Probably the switch-over time is too large so that adapter of your WiFi device loses the stored charge to such a level that WiFi device is neither completely off nor it is getting the required voltage. So you have to turn it off and then back on.

Look for a small switch behind the Homage. It should be a small switch with “Narrow” and “Wide” written on each side. Turn it to “Narrow”. this may solve your problem.

If you don’t find a switch, let me know. There is yet another method which requires a little external change to the power adapter of your WiFi, hopefully it will work then.

'Narrow-wide switch' of homage ups will not resolve the issue as it does not reduce the switch over time. (I am using homage ups)

Homage ups are the worst ups to be used for sensitive electronics. One of my crt monitor, dvd player, two motherboards, and a tv tuner died very earlier than their warrantied life. (modified sinewave current is deadly poisonous)

I won't recommend this ups for electronic devices. It is only good for fans and energy savers.

[quote=“blogger, post:9, topic:16252”]

‘Narrow-wide switch’ of homage ups will not resolve the issue as it does not reduce the switch over time. (I am using homage ups)

[/quote]

I remember I read it in the user manual that this switch controls the switch over time.

[quote=“blogger, post:9, topic:16252”]
(modified sinewave current is deadly poisonous)
[/quote]

I would disagree here, even APC UPS is providing modified sine wave. The actual difference is in the filtering of output harmonics.

Just put a 6800-10000µF capacitor bank with input-side diode inline between the adapter and router and be done with it.

[quote=", post:10, topic:16252"]

I remember I read it in the user manual that this switch controls the switch over time.

I would disagree here, even APC UPS is providing modified sine wave. The actual difference is in the filtering of output harmonics.

[/quote]

This button is designed to alter the capability of charger. If narrow mode is selected, charger keeps charging batteries to the voltage as low as 180 volts. If wide range is selected, charger charge batteries to the voltage as low as 90 volts. This feature is especially designed for Pakistan as here, there is huge voltage problems in villages and many areas of cities.

Homage ups produce very spiky modified sinewave current but modified sinewave current produced by apc ups are much better than the current produced by homage. There are different types of modified sinewave current. Moreover, modified sinewave is not a good choice for expensive electronics. Networks, serves etc are made run on pure sinewave inverters/ups worldwide. Not sure about pakistan.

[quote=“blogger, post:12, topic:16252”]

This button is designed to alter the capability of charger. If narrow mode is selected, charger keeps charging batteries to the voltage as low as 180 volts. If wide range is selected, charger charge batteries to the voltage as low as 90 volts. This feature is especially designed for Pakistan as here, there is huge voltage problems in villages and many areas of cities.

[/quote]

You are right, this is something to do with input voltage range.

@OP: The solution to your problem is to add a big size capacitor at the output of your power adapter for your WiFi device, as Asad suggested.

@Maverick

Are you using the UPS for dsl modem and router only?

I am also planning to get a UPS only for the modem and wifi router and need at least 2 hours of back up time. Is homeage UPS (600 VA) a good solution?

[quote=“Asad, post:11, topic:16252”]

Just put a 6800-10000µF capacitor bank with input-side diode inline between the adapter and router and be done with it.

[/quote]

Wow, that made so much sense. Why didn’t I think of that ? :P Yar, make it a little bit more technical why don’t you ?

[quote=“Mufakir, post:15, topic:16252”]

Wow, that made so much sense. Why didn’t I think of that ? :P Yar, make it a little bit more technical why don’t you ?
[/quote]

Here you go: https://www.circuitlab.com/circuit/3pkhqs/capacitor-buffer-for-router/

my router stays on for about 3 hours when ups is fully charged it is 7k watts