Why low fps even on new GC?

I was *trying* to play Medal of Honour Airborne (at 1024x768...ya ya, got an old monitor for now) and the gameplay was so damn choppy that its really put me off...it hardly manages 5 fps!!

my current rig is:

Pentium Dual core (pentium D 805) 2.66 ghz OC'd to 2.8 ghz

Asus p5ld2-vm m.board

4gb ddr2 ram (though only 3.2gb is usable)

120gb barracuda 7200.7 Hdd

(asus) radeon HD4850

Coolermaster 520W PSU

Running win Vista x86 6.0 rtm version

also got a firewire card, sony dvd-rw drive and some bits here n there...

got the lastest catalyst drivers and all other drivers...

other users on the internet are reporting 80+ fps in this particular game. even crysis will manage 20+ on high res. anyone suggest whats causing the oh-so-choppy gameplay?

the problem is that you don't have a graphics card!

btw i am too stuck with 1024 x 768!

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

the problem is that you don’t have a graphics card!

btw i am too stuck with 1024 x 768!

[/quote]

saad he does the Radeon HD 4850 is one of the top grafix cards these days

saad he does the Radeon HD 4850 is one of the top grafix cards these days

[/quote]

منیٕ نشے میں ھے

lol j/k … but saad posted at 12AM so i guess he’s feeling sleepy or somethin :P

@maliksaab, may be some background app is messing with ur pc caz ur PC is ok, and with that good video card it should play ok. check if ur AV is scanning. or windows is indexing

منیٕ نشے میں ھے

lol j/k … but saad posted at 12AM so i guess he’s feeling sleepy or somethin :P

[/quote]

:lol:

Sorry guys i just didn’t see that Radeon 4850 part in his post earlier

man how do you know that? i am really sleepy!

well it shouldn't no way that quality can be bad on this card. are you using the driver provided with card (on cd), try getting new one from internet. i m sure it just a patch issue or something and your card have nothing to do with it.

ok i just noticed that you are using vista so i think it have something to do with dx 10. if you can try it on XP.

I recommend going for a fresh install of windows and using the latest drivers to narrow down the possibilities by eliminating graphic card driver issues and possibility of windows corruption.

try opening your card settings and disable vertical sync. If the problem is with the old monitor then this should solve this.

indexing is always off...

avg antivirus is running...

tried with both asus supplied drivers and new ones off ATI's website but same result

not too sure abt windows being in perfect health, could be tht reason but im not too keen on it :P

tried with both vert. sync on and off but same result.

also tried with both highest setting and with lowest possible setting and lowest resolution but guess wht....same result! -> im thinking its not the GC but something else

so now im gona try tomb raider aniversary or nfs prostreet and see if they act up as well

...anniversary running fine...

i have a clean vista sp1 install now. with latest drivers. but game behaving the same. gameplay is VERY choppy and quite unplayable.

any more ideas?

maliksaab>>avg antivirus is running...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

please read the following readme file from game

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Medal of Honor Airborne Demo

ReadMe File - July, 2007

Installation Instructions

==================================================================

IMPORTANT: Avoid running any other programs in the background, as this may

conflict with the game. This includes any VIRUS-PROTECTION

program that you have running, which can hinder performance.

jack

disabling avg still has no effect

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

UPDATE: old topic but just for the info...

i found out that the slowdown was due to the CPU being limited by vista's power saving feature (processor power management, minimum and maximum states). maximum state was set to 50% in power saving profile so i could hardly get more than 2/3 fps at cpu intensive games eg. moh-airborne.

Jacking up that 50% maximum state to 100% finally unleashed the 4850 and gave me fluid rates even at maxed out settings (btw i OC'd my Pentium D805 up to a safe 3.3 ghz on stock fan and voltage hehe). overall system performance has also improved as if i put a new core in there

i suggest everyone who set their 'power options' to power saving profile look up there if they're experiencing slow downs.

^ WOW. That's some news.