Why do we need to open port in router when torrenting?

I have Paradyne Router and I have not opened any port and port test of uTorrent and BitTorrent obviously fails. But I find no problem in downloading using uTorrent.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I have Paradyne Router and I have not opened any port and port test of uTorrent and BitTorrent obviously fails. But I find no problem in downloading using uTorrent.
[/quote]

when u r behind a router the router blocks all incoming communication on all ports but outgoin connections are open soUtorrent can work

openin a port tells the router to not block communciation on that port

Yes, for better torrent speeds and contributing to the seeding, you need to open a port so that other people can get chunks of the file from you. It's not much trouble, really, so I suggest you do open up a port.

I use LAN, nothing to do with routers but still utorrent shows a green light, telling me all the ports are opened

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I use LAN, nothing to do with routers but still utorrent shows a green light, telling me all the ports are opened
[/quote]

That means your cable guy has either UPnP (which does this automatically, I think) or he has all ports open.

How to open ports in router?? I also want to open!!

^

y?? :?

if he will fry his router in oil will u do the same?

^^

Yeah I will!! Any problem??^o)