Wht's wrong wid my HD cache?

i hav WD 500gb sata....it shud hav 16mb cache but my HD is showing 8mb cache...whts wrong?

Untitled180.jpg

Untitled181.jpg

did it ever show 16mb cache ?

Not all WD5000AAVS have 16mb cache, some have only 8 mb

really? :/

Yeah. Search the WD site for your HDD's part number to see the exact manufacturer specs.

uggghhhhh...8mb confirmed frm wdc site as well :( how much difference b/w 8mb n 16mb cache hard disks any idea?

Some difference is there. Cache only helps up to a certain point after which increased cache is detrimental to system performance due to processing overheads.

Did you buy a 16 MB cached one 8 MB ? :P

the more cache the better

well damn local seller told me 16mb cheater :D

hey where did u check tht?

i mean what utility u used to chck it

i also wana check.....

^tuneup utilities

^try HDTune too

where in hdtune pro??

i have it

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Some difference is there. Cache only helps up to a certain point after which increased cache is detrimental to system performance due to processing overheads.
[/quote]

Is extra cache really harmful?!?!?^o)

[/quote]

No! Until the time for reading-writing cache is significantly less than time for read-writing data in device (here it is harddisk but also true for USB flash or computer RAM etc. etc.) then cache is always helpful.

EDIT:

One more rule: More cache is always good but expensive too.

[/quote]

After a certain limit, yes.

No! Until the time for reading-writing cache is significantly less than time for read-writing data in device (here it is harddisk but also true for USB flash or computer RAM etc. etc.) then cache is always helpful.

EDIT:

One more rule: More cache is always good but expensive too.

[/quote]

Wrong. After a certain cache capacity, managing the cache takes more resources and processing power than the benefits you are getting out of it.

Wrong. After a certain cache capacity, managing the cache takes more resources and processing power than the benefits you are getting out of it.

[/quote]

"Until the time for reading-writing cache is significantly less than time for read-writing data in device (here it is harddisk but also true for USB flash or computer RAM etc. etc.) then cache is always helpful."

Rephrase above statement:

“If the time taken to utilize cache is less than the direct access of device’s data then cache is beneficial”.

EDIT:

By the way, we should remember Moore’s Law too. Advancement in technology of direct-access to device’s data is increase, so does the speed and capacity of cache. Therefore, cache is most of time beneficial.