Which UPS do you recommend?

Hi,

I'm not an engineer so bear with me.

I need a UPS for my home and have a couple of questions.

1. Are Inverters and UPS' the same thing?

2. I've heard of Homage and Cyberpower as the two leading/reliable brands. Which brand and type would you recommend and are there any others that are readily available and better than these two?

3. I've only got a 2-3 fans and 2-3 bulbs that need to powered during loadshedding. Oh and also my dsl modem+router and my PC at times (which since it has a core i3 with speedstep enabled should consume very little power - perhaps 50W max i'm guessing). Assuming i have all these on during loadshedding, how many hours of backup can I expect (assuming I get the recommended battery with the UPS)?

4. I have seen that most of the inverters provide simulated sine wave. I'm assuming this is okay for running my PC and LCD, and don't need an inverter that provides pure sine wave. Am I correct in my assumption?

5. Lastly, I live in Karachi. Where will I be able to buy the inverter/UPS without getting ripped off and at what prices? Also, batteries?

First thing first, my personal experience is only with Homage and its working very very good. BUT i've heard people talking good things about cyberpower and mercury UPS.

Now TTBOMK

1. Inverter alternate the battery power (or solar power) into the alternate current for our daily use. It doesn't Charge the batteries so need a separate charger for that purpose BUT UPS have also inverter in them as well as charger so it does both things alternatively.

2. Go with either one, its okay.

3+4. Yes that's true that even with a good LCD (less then 20inch) the highest power draw will be less than 50W approx (unless you are encoding something or gaming) that's not the point. Modified sinewave or stepped sinewave is bad for pc. not long ago my new CM power supply got crashed only after days i used it on homage UPS. i have i3 as well.

Just search on the internet about evils of modified sinewave for pc and you'll come across alot of threads.

interestingly i did use my old PC on on stepped sinewave for many months without any problems but after to new upgrade and even with better psu, it didn't work out.

if there are 2 fans and 2 energy savers then 1KVA (660W) with one 180+ amp battery is fine with our 10hours of loadshedding.

However, if you are looking for consistent running of three fans or possibly even more then opt for 2KVA (1350W) with 2 135+ amp batteries.

5. NO idea about Karachi.

[quote=“kratos24, post:2, topic:20152”]

. Modified sinewave or stepped sinewave is bad for pc. not long ago my new CM power supply got crashed only after days i used it on homage UPS. i have i3 as well.

Just search on the internet about evils of modified sinewave for pc and you'll come across alot of threads.

[/quote]

I did do my research...I asked because I wanted members to share their experience.

Anyway, most articles say it's fine to use modified sine wave on electronics like PCs but they did say that there may be equipment that might not like it. I guess your CM power supply can attest to that!

But regardless, will it be okay for laptop chargers and my DSL modem?

Edit: Read your thread about your bad experience, turns out I was right. The problem with your new PSU is that it's 80+ Bronze certified. These 80+ PSUs can be quite finnicky with modified sine wave

CM brand is fine... mine has worked for 5 years on both desi and pure sine wave ups..

Problem is with the square and modified waves... no device is meant to run on anything except clean sine wapda on 225V... a +/- 5V threshold is acceptable.. other than that , appliances get damaged.. that is why pure sine wave invetrers of UPS like APC are the choice of backup in all scenarios.. Cyberpower is very good too, but much expensive.

@v9x (vine-x !!???)

Its your equipment man. The best solution is going to cost you 24,000 Rs in the form of APC smart 500W ups with built-in battery (but back up time is not good on those things).

However i don't see anything happening to 9-12W power draw by dsl adapter.

Laptop charger is another deal however, when i plugged in the laptop (a while back) my room's light started to flicker badly, its was almost like the voltage was increasing and decreasing from the source. I never used it again. Charge it and use it while light is out.

Well whatever happens, apprise us from your experience.

plz keep in mind :

pure sine wave is best for sensitive electronics like laptops / LEDs / etc but the backup time of the battery is lesser than the square wave which is not good for the above mentioned gadgets .

Okay, after some thought, i've decided to go for a pure sine wave UPS. Anyone have any recommendations with prices? And where to buy in Karachi?

Oh, and secondly, will the UPS installation require separate wiring or can I hook it up to a phase in my house?

^ a proper UPS wiring should always have seperate neutral wiring... only one extra wire will need to be passed along with your exitsing wiring.. for the rest you donot need any major modification.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:8, topic:20152”]

^ a proper UPS wiring should always have seperate neutral wiring... only one extra wire will need to be passed along with your exitsing wiring.. for the rest you donot need any major modification.

[/quote]

Thanks for your help man. May i ask which UPS you use?

i use an APC 2200VA for our home, and an APC 2200XL for my PC... a 3000XL for cousin home, a 5000VA for khala house, a 1400XL for their office, a 2200VA for uncles clinic and 1400 VA for uncle`s home lower portion cz he already has a generator.. All installations done by me in our family..

which one is better ? APC 1400 VA or APC 1500 VA ?

both are almost same.. one is rack mount, one is floor standing..

1500 is silent.. 1400 is noisy..1400 is a very little bit more watts in some models.

Thanks for the reply , as u have installed many APCs in your family i read in your post , so it is good to have some experience form you .

can we run 1500VA for fans etc (as it is a rack mount so apparently it is made for computers / servers and in Fans there are AC motors ! (induction motors) So will it handle that too 24 hours running on 60 percent load. ?

1500VA is 24V or 12 V ?

what should b the ideal battery or batteries in AH for this model (as per charging current)

and can we adjust the charge current in this model easily ?

thanks in advance for the replies .

1 - you can run anthing on it except high torque motors (juicer blender, paani ki motor) and laser printers.

2 - 1400 1500 are 24V.. there is no 12v in apc. 2200 and above are 48v

3 - ideal battery depends on your load.. calculate your load and your loadshedding scheule first.

4 - charging rate is 12-13A for these models. battery life should be over 2 years with wet acid..atleast 5 years with dry AGM.