Which Routers have URL filtering?

Dear Members,

Almost all of us have DSL connections at home or at work. As internet is everywhere now and has its obvious advantages but I am concerned about the wrong side of the internet. Providing un-supervised internet to kids / teenagers may lead to disaster instead of benifit.

I was thinking to implement URL filtering at router level, so that every PC/laptop at home automatically gets allowed content and has no access to blocked websites.

Can you please tell me which router make/models allow URL filtering ? Because shop keepers usually don't have any such information.

I know one model AZTECH 605 which is DSL+Wi-Fi router but unfortunately it is not available these days.

So I request you to kindly check it in the control panel / settings of your router and post the make / model here.

Thanks in anticipation......

Have a look at OpenDNS for that.

http://www.opendns.com/familyshield

Should work with any router. (The site has step by step instructions for setting it up on both PC & router level)

Seriously kids always find the way around these filters, you can never stop the freedom of exploration.

@Firestorm - Thanks, I am having a look at your recommendation

@Zazzyo - Let me hope kids don't find wayouts to jump over the restrictions :-)

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Dear Members,

Almost all of us have DSL connections at home or at work. As internet is everywhere now and has its obvious advantages but I am concerned about the wrong side of the internet. Providing un-supervised internet to kids / teenagers may lead to disaster instead of benifit.

I was thinking to implement URL filtering at router level, so that every PC/laptop at home automatically gets allowed content and has no access to blocked websites.

Can you please tell me which router make/models allow URL filtering ? Because shop keepers usually don’t have any such information.

I know one model AZTECH 605 which is DSL+Wi-Fi router but unfortunately it is not available these days.

So I request you to kindly check it in the control panel / settings of your router and post the make / model here.

Thanks in anticipation…

[/quote]

You should be careful using these FREE products. I am assuming it will be a third party proxy service or DNS poisning service. In any case you internet activity can be recorded or monitored by these so-called free service providers.

Remeber, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

They make money from advertising placed on their error pages. It's actually very lucrative for them. IMO its a good deal for both users and opendns.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Remeber, there is no such thing as a free lunch.
[/quote]

I didn’t ask for any free lunch :)

But thanks for the info.

Mr. Ijaz Ahmed I am using the TP-Link Wi-Fi Router for this purposes. I has all the options to block any url or allow the url. and it has also the bandwidth contrl.

It is available in the market for about Rs:1600/- . any how if u face any problem u can contact me. I know its a very big problem for many of us.

[quote=“asif27, post:8, topic:14184”]

Mr. Ijaz Ahmed I am using the TP-Link Wi-Fi Router for this purposes. I has all the options to block any url or allow the url. and it has also the bandwidth contrl.

It is available in the market for about Rs:1600/- . any how if u face any problem u can contact me. I know its a very big problem for many of us.

[/quote]

Thank you Asif - Is it DSL + WiFi available for Rs. 1600/- ?

Can you please mention model number ?

--

--

[quote=", post:10, topic:14184"]

I will recommend to use a software. Using this software, you can block websites, and keep eye on the activity. I am using it in my house. You just need to install this software in that PC which you want to monitor.

Check it for yourself. It’s freeware: Norton Safety Minder

With router, you can block only specific websites but this software automatically controls everything you may want. Even it can filter google and other search engines and youtube as well.

[/quote]

I have multiple PCs at home, so that is the reason I was thinking to do it at router level.

--

Any router that supports dd-wrt fully should have the Access Restrictions features that come with it.