Which RAM should i get?

DDR-II 1GB-667 (P/N: VS1GB667-D2) 1425 Rupees

XMS2 DHX TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX/800 BUS 4100 Rupees

I am not too sure what the difference is between them, other then the speed difference(667,800 MHz).

Which one should I get? and what will be the advantage of the xms2?

also, is there any other type of ram that i may find here in pindo/isloo?

There is not much difference b/w these two RAM. But you will find reasonalbe difference in Corsair Dominator.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

DDR-II 1GB-667 (P/N: VS1GB667-D2) 1425 Rupees

XMS2 DHX TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX/800 BUS 4100 Rupees

I am not too sure what the difference is between them, other then the speed difference(667,800 MHz).

Which one should I get? and what will be the advantage of the xms2?

also, is there any other type of ram that i may find here in pindo/isloo?

[/quote]

Well clearly the first one has 667 Bus speed while the second one has 800.

The first is 1gb the second is 2 gb (the multi pack i guess where 2 rams are binded)

I will get 2gb of the first ram ofcourse. so both are 2gb.

ddr -II-667 = Value Ram = High Latency = lower oc'ing potential

XMs2-800 = daddy of rams = high end ram = lower latency = higher oc'ing potential

that being said:

i am running el-cheapo kingstons KVR-667 and as long as i keep my fsb such that i dont go beyond mem specs i am okay. infact i know of people who have run this ram at 800mhz effective no issues. ofcourse the latency tends to be higher

as for the latter. the, there are 2 listed on corsiar's website if i am not mistaken CL5 and CL4. CL4 is obviously faster as it's CAS is 4, but i am sure the other would probably also run at 4.

one thing to keep in mind is that high end ram tends to require more juice than the std ddr-2 affair of 1.8v. many intel made mobos based on the 965 chipset didnt have the requisite info in the bios that was released with the initial batch of the boards. support for higher juice was only added later. make sure ur mobo can support more juice to the ram.

if i were u i would get more of the el-cheapo variety unless u must really push ur fsb such that it goes well beyond the 667.

e.g. the fsb for all core2s on 800mhz bus -200 quad pumped. the ram at default is then running at 400 effective.

most core2's are on a 1066 bus, thus the base fsb is 266 quad pumped. ram is thus at 533 effective

the newest core2's are 1333 bus... u get the picture

so if u want to oc a 1066 cpu u're okay till u get to 333 fsb. which can take u places depending on the clock multiplier on ur cpu.

e.g. mine is 9; 9*266 = 2.4ghz base.

it is oc'd to 3.0ghz using 9*333= 3.0 ghz, mem running 1:1 at 667

thanks for the detailed explanation ali.

what is latency though? what does it affect? games,programs???

is the difference in the two rams enough that i should take the xms2 which is 1.2k more expensive?

also, I will be getting an e8400 which is at 1333 Mhz fsb. so as per your explanation the ram will run at 667mhz, regardless of if i get 800mhz or 667mhz ram???

also, do the asus mobos support the xms2 ram? i mean the p5e-vm do or p5k-vm, as i am going to get one of these.

LAtency is exactly what it sound like.

Ram is arranged in rows and columns much like a matrix. i am a Fellow in ophthalmology so my maths in now very rough (it's been nearly 18 years since i last did maths, aahhh syllabus D used to be so much fun)!

anyways when the computer starts to access ram it has to charge it something called a CAS (column address strobe if memory serves right). the latency to that is the CL or CAS latency. Ofcourse this is just one of the paratmeters that affects ram performance, but this is usually the important one.

As for a 1333mhz fsb cpu with a 667 ram, yep it would run no issues. u would run 1:1 with ur fsb.

1333mhz = 333 quad pumped. ram is 333. 1:1.

but as sooon as u start to overclock u will start over clocking ur 667 ram. with value ram this is hit or a miss. with xms2 at 800 u have some room till u hit 400mhz.

as for asus mobo's supporting xms/dhx ram. i think they should. infact i am pretty sure they do. but better be safe than sorry.

Ali:

RAM is made up of small transistors (flip flops) which store charge. Each transistor has some capacitance. A single bit could be represented by 1, 3 or more transistor arrangement depending on the manufacturing and design technique used. Due to this, capacitance adds up. The latency is due to charge discharge cycles of the transistors.

The better 2gb costs 1100 more. If a thousand ruppees is not an issue for you, get the DHX. The only time you'll ever think about RAM is when you're over clocking. And then too, if you want to be a perfectionist and care a great deal about FSB:DRAM ratio. Which at 1:1 gives a 2% - 3 % performance increase.

In real word applications when I run a Q6600 oc'd at 3.2 at 4:5 or 1:1 I don't notice any difference whatsoever in games/movie encoding or windows.

Ali:

RAM is made up of small transistors (flip flops) which store charge. Each transistor has some capacitance. A single bit could be represented by 1, 3 or more transistor arrangement depending on the manufacturing and design technique used. Due to this, capacitance adds up. The latency is due to charge discharge cycles of the transistors.

[/quote]

thanks. i was actually talking about how data is stored on RAM.

The access times i described is how i read em once many moons ago. i am pretty sure CAS is still Column Address Strobe! :)

again thanks.

LAtency is exactly what it sound like.

Ram is arranged in rows and columns much like a matrix. i am a Fellow in ophthalmology so my maths in now very rough (it’s been nearly 18 years since i last did maths, aahhh syllabus D used to be so much fun)!

anyways when the computer starts to access ram it has to charge it something called a CAS (column address strobe if memory serves right). the latency to that is the CL or CAS latency. Ofcourse this is just one of the paratmeters that affects ram performance, but this is usually the important one.

As for a 1333mhz fsb cpu with a 667 ram, yep it would run no issues. u would run 1:1 with ur fsb.

1333mhz = 333 quad pumped. ram is 333. 1:1.

but as sooon as u start to overclock u will start over clocking ur 667 ram. with value ram this is hit or a miss. with xms2 at 800 u have some room till u hit 400mhz.

as for asus mobo’s supporting xms/dhx ram. i think they should. infact i am pretty sure they do. but better be safe than sorry.

[/quote]

sheesh man! are u sure u really are an ophthalmologist??? :P