Which mobile should I buy for using Skype on it?

Salam everyone!

Well, actually I don't have much knowledge about these technology related things. Thats why I need some help regarding the mobile that I can use for Skype. I know that there are no Skype free calls available in Pakistan and perhaps these won't be available for at least the next half century or so. But I have a wifi connection and a broadband connection as well. So, I can use it on either one. Now, I am little puzzled about which mobile should I buy that is available at reasonable price in Pakistan and can support Skype voice calls easily?

Hope to receive the answer from well educated people in this field.

W'salam!

Skype is available for Android, iPhone and Symbian OS mobile sets.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/on-your-mobile/

So for the choice of handset, you have many options. But carefully read the Skype website for any particular exceptions.

I've used Skype a few times on my Nokia 5230. I used Nimbuzz for calling as well as Skype's original app for Symbian. Both worked well but I found the Nimbuzz one better. Generally, all depends upon your connection speed rather than the choice of handset. All supported handsets should work well.

^^ You used ur 5230's skype on 3G??

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Salam everyone!

Well, actually I don’t have much knowledge about these technology related things. Thats why I need some help regarding the mobile that I can use for Skype. I know that there are no Skype free calls available in Pakistan and perhaps these won’t be available for at least the next half century or so. But I have a wifi connection and a broadband connection as well. So, I can use it on either one. Now, I am little puzzled about which mobile should I buy that is available at reasonable price in Pakistan and can support Skype voice calls easily?

Hope to receive the answer from well educated people in this field.

W’salam!

[/quote]

The most cheap price android phone out there is IDEOS offered by ZoNG.

The most cheap price android phone out there is IDEOS offered by ZoNG.

[/quote]

Yep. Agreed. Skype works well on it, even over EDGE! :) But putting it in standby will eat up a lot of battery, so run it only when you want to make and receive calls.

Nokia N900

^^ so you are advising him to buy obsolete, out of production and officially expired OS symbian based hand-held computer just for skype...... (which is not even a moible phone)

As far as I know Skype video calling is only available on a computer. but this piece of tech N900 able you to make video calls over wifi or 3g so he asked for skype use and i tell em N900 which is easily available in local stores & @kamran1x1 do you want N93i or N93 i can buy it for you brand new

^^^

armada skype video calling is available in iphone 4 (wifi/3g) and current ipod touch (wifi) 'casue both got front facing camera. and new skype app for android is coming out soon which will work in all android phones which got front facing camera and there are plenty of android phones already in the market with front facing camera)

@kamran1x1 do you want N93i or N93 i can buy it for you brand new
[/quote]

ولا أنا ما يبي نوكيا . لو عندك إيفون ٤ ، أنا يبي إشتري

Any idea when Google voice is coming on symbian or .jar platform?

^^ You used ur 5230’s skype on 3G??
[/quote]

Nop. I used it over EDGE for voice calling. Worked well enough.

skype requires minimum bandwidth of 512Kbps (65Kbps downlink speed)

Nop. I used it over EDGE for voice calling. Worked well enough.

[/quote]

Wow, i am surprised.

I reckon its not worth the effort though, EDGE costs more than making a call by phone.

Wow, i am surprised.

I reckon its not worth the effort though, EDGE costs more than making a call by phone.

[/quote]

Not on the Zong 2GB internet package. :)

does nimbuzz/fring still supports skype? i read Skype has discontinued 3rd party apps support

^No!

You've read it well. both nimbuzz and fring do not support Skype. And it's been a few months now.

i am also looking for cheapest option available with atleast WiFI and Skype

Not on the Zong 2GB internet package. :)

[/quote]

Yea, exactly. I’m also using Zong 2GB. :D

^ 2Gb world's tiniest internet package