Which is the cheapest registrar to register a .COM?

I am looking for some website/registrar to register .COM for cheapest rates. The cheapest the merrier. :)

Here are some points that I am looking for:

* My work with websites is not that much, I need to register a .COM for someone else. I can pay using my debit-card.

* The website or registrar should give very cheap rates to register .COM.

* I already have a web-server. All I want is to point that .COM to that web-server, in other words, I have Name Servers for my web-server, I need to point DNS of .COM to those Name Servers. Therefore, registrar should allow me to change Name Servers for .COM.

* Renewal fees for next year should also lower too.

* I should be able to move my .COM from registrar to any other registrar. In other words, legally, I should own the .COM, not the registrar.

I am requesting from my fellow Wiredians with web-sites experience to please enlighten me with their knowledge in this field.

Thank you for your time for reading this. :)

I have the best service and support with http://www.namecheap.com. And I prefer it over any other registerar.

a big variety of free options services with even a single domain you will find.

overall I didn't find any other cheapest domain registration fees other than on NameCheap. I really don't bet it, May be I couldn't find. But I have tried many locals and non-locals. I wouldn't give any one, an opinion to choose a local registrar. specially PakHost or PakNic I am currently facing an issue with them regarding transfer of a couple of my domains. they are hell with it. I am just trying to move from them.

namecheap.com will charge you $9.69 for .com domain

I am sending you the coupon code(by an email) that will give you the discount of $0.88. not a big discount hann??? :) but it's good.

any ways. choice is yours

and wait for others give their best domain registrars but you can try the coupon right now, may be not available later.

If one could explain all the process involved in starting a webiste in Pakistan, it would be appreciated frome the core of the heart.

Free pakages, paid and what sort of requirements one will have to oblige?

@bellskar

Very thank you for your valuable reply. That's the kind of reply that I was looking for. I have shortlisted registrars and namecheap.com was in list. On average lowest prices for registrar are between $10 to $15.

However, the problem was that all look similar from outside. As I didn't have experience with them that's why I was looking for someone who have experience with them. Your valuable experience and trust on namecheap.com allow me to make my selection much easier.

I had dealed only with tucows.com. Their service is very good but .COM registration is expensive. If money is not a problem then I'll recommend them as registrar.

I might never go to Pknic even if somebody pay me a million dollar. Oh, well, maybe for a million dollar ;) But not for less :D

Very thank you for your offer of coupon. You know what they say, a dollar saved is a dollar earn ;)

I'll wait for other people for their valuable experiences with registrar.

bellskar has told us his experience with different registrars and his trust on namecheap.com ($10 a domain, some value added services are free as for now).

I have told my experience and trust on tucows.com ($15 a domain but value added services need more money).

I would request other members to please come forward and write your experiences.

This thread might become helpful for other people who are also finding cheap registrars but with good reviews.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

If one could explain all the process involved in starting a webiste in Pakistan, it would be appreciated frome the core of the heart.

Free pakages, paid and what sort of requirements one will have to oblige?

[/quote]

I won’t recommend you to go for free packages (especially without any ads or anything) because they have many limitations. They don’t give good impression if you plan to earn some dimes over web-site. Not good at all for a business related website.

If you willing to spend some dollars to get better services then I’ll recommend to get a package deal for your new web-site. A deal in which you’ll get hosting package and usually a free domain too.

But the actually story begins after acquiring a .COM and a hosting package :)

The cheapest registrar is GoDaddy and comes with all the services you have mentioned. No other registrar comes close to the prices offered by GoDaddy. Oh and did I tell you that it's the world's largest registrar with around 30% market share?

Use the promo code "199domain" to register a .com for just $2.19!

If this code doesn't work then try "facebook5" to get .com for $5.20

By the way both these codes will only work once i.e. they are valid for one domain per account.

If both doesn't work then let me know and I will get you a code to register .com for around $7.59

The cheapest registrar is GoDaddy and comes with all the services you have mentioned. No other registrar comes close to the prices offered by GoDaddy.
[/quote]

x2

GoDaddy charge $8.99 / year (plus .COM fee) to hide personal information. This add-on is currently free on NameCheap (but even if it is not free, it will cost only $2.88 / year).

Source: http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/dbp/landing.asp

Source: http://www.namecheap.com/learn/privacy-protection/whoisguard-whois-protection.asp

GoDaddy charge $8.99 / year (plus .COM fee) to hide personal information. This add-on is currently free on NameCheap (but even if it is not free, it will cost only $2.88 / year).

Source: http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/dbp/landing.asp

Source: http://www.namecheap.com/learn/privacy-protection/whoisguard-whois-protection.asp

[/quote]

This is GoDaddy standard rate. What I am telling you is special rate using promo codes. There are several different GoDaddy codes for different extensions and for registration/renewal/transfer which work throughout the year.

And if u register domains in bulk (I guess 6 or more) you get free private whois.

In any case private whois is not something you can’t live without.

^ Of course, Private Whois is not required but a little better option than opening all information to public (including contact email).

More GoDaddy codes:

ZINE1 for 10% off

ZINE2 for $5 off any $30+ purchase

ZINE25 for $25 off any purchase of $100

ZINE3 for $7.49 .com domains

MTECH1 to get 10% off anything

MTECH2 to get 20% discount when you spend 50 dollars or more

MTECH330 to get 30% off .com domain names

RRTV1 - 10% off whole order

RRTV2 - $5 off orders of $30 or more

RRTV3 - Get your domain for one year for only $6.95

best1 = 10% off any order

best2 = $5 off orders $30+

best3 = $7.49 .COM domains and renewals

OYH3 - $3 off / $6.95 any .COM (renewals too)

BTPS7 - 20% any order of $50 or more

BTPS255 - 25% off any order of $100 or more

OYH1 - 10% off whatever

OYH2 - $5 off a $30 purchase

BTPS50 - 50% off .co.uk domains

BTPS4 - 10% off anything

chill1 - 10% off

chill2 - $5 off $30

chill3 - $6.95 .coms

hash1 - 10% off

hash2 - $5 off $30

hash3 - $6.95 .com registration

gdd1101c - 10% off any order of $40 or more

DNF2 - $7.39 .COM renew

goaz2001ai - $6.99 Domain + icann fee

@whois privacy

whois privacy is not required but "whois information is one of the initial steps to attempt for a domain/website takeover(hack)".

whois privacy fills atleast one the flawed wholes in your website security.

@TechMan

This is good offering promotional codes but sharing like in open forum is not good idea, personally I dont appreciate it. promotional codes are used on first come first serve basis and sharing like this lower the chances of the successfull use of the codes. And I really know that you know it too.

however it's ok with the companies like GoDaddy because any one can find a lot of promotional codes for these companies too by searching google.

and thanks to you that you made the job bit easier and saved the time of any one going through google, type some thing and searching for it. :)

@whois privacy

whois privacy is not required but “whois information is one of the initial steps to attempt for a domain/website takeover(hack)”.

@TechMan

This is good offering promotional codes but sharing like in open forum is not good idea, personally I dont appreciate it. promotional codes are used on first come first serve basis and sharing like this lower the chances of the successfull use of the codes. And I really know that you know it too.

however it’s ok with the companies like GoDaddy because any one can find a lot of promotional codes for these companies too by searching google.

and thanks to you that you made the job bit easier and saved the time of any one going through google, type some thing and searching for it. :)

[/quote]

hehe you are right but don’t worry about the codes man…if one code stops working then 2 new are released

@TechMan

Great job :)

@whois privacy

whois privacy is not required but “whois information is one of the initial steps to attempt for a domain/website takeover(hack)”.

[/quote]

Indeed. Hiding or making whois information private (many registrar use different names) is a good step. Compare that to opening all information including business address and email to public access, which is equal to welcoming all kinds of people.

Indeed. Hiding or making whois information private (many registrar use different names) is a good step. Compare that to opening all information including business address and email to public access, which is equal to welcoming all kinds of people.

[/quote]

The best way to hide whois information is to provide wrong one at the time of registration :)

This is what I do i.e. except email address where confirmation and auth email are sent, rest I enter incorrect information. In fact you can even provide wrong email if you want since it will be only required when you need to get auth code to transfer domain.

The best way to hide whois information is to provide wrong one at the time of registration :)

This is what I do i.e. except email address where confirmation and auth email are sent, rest I enter incorrect information. In fact you can even provide wrong email if you want since it will be only required when you need to get auth code to transfer domain.

[/quote]

That’s not a good idea. Look at the Go Daddy’s record history for invalid information in WHOIS record at (under Controversies.):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godaddy

Check about GoDaddy deleted FamilyAlbum.com part too. Let me quote here:

On December 19, 2006 GoDaddy received a third party complaint of invalid domain contact information in the Whois database for the domain FamilyAlbum.com. GoDaddy wrote a letter to the owner of FamilyAlbum.com saying “Whenever we receive a complaint, we are required by ICANN regulations to initiate an investigation as to whether the contact data displaying in the Whois database is valid data or not.” “On 12/19/2006 we sent a notice to you at the admin/tech contact email address and the account email address informing you of invalid data in breach of the domain registration agreement and advising you to update the information or risk cancellation of the domain. The contact information was not updated within the specified period of time and we canceled the domain,” GoDaddy added.
[/quote]

Giving wrong information in WHOIS is a bad idea. Registrar can revoke domain name or can “fine” you for invalid information.

On the other hand, hiding/making-private the WHOIS information by giving a little extra money is legally sound and safe way to go.

That’s not a good idea. Look at the Go Daddy’s record history for invalid information in WHOIS record at (under Controversies.):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godaddy

Check about GoDaddy deleted FamilyAlbum.com part too. Let me quote here:

Giving wrong information in WHOIS is a bad idea. Registrar can revoke domain name or can “fine” you for invalid information.

On the other hand, hiding/making-private the WHOIS information by giving a little extra money is legally sound and safe way to go.

[/quote]

What you are saying is right but these kind of things happen one in hundred thousand. There is a difference between what is possible and how many times it actually happened. Even in that case GoDaddy didn’t shutdown the domain but gave time to the owner to update info.

^ But still the risk gets greater with your .COM gets more popular.

@TechMan

I really do not agree with it providing wrong information while registering specifically for financial, asset or any other type of accounts that take your identity for a reason. however "providing" or "not providing" such information is a personal choice.

very truely when it comes to the rules and regulations or policy of the registering authority then there is no way to seek for the probability of risks. you have to follow the rules.

as I think the words "these kind of things happen one in hundred thousand" is just an excuse to live with the fact as you like.

........Even in that case GoDaddy didn't shutdown the domain but gave time to the owner to update info......
[/quote]

How do you know that? did they gave the time to you to update your info?