Which is more important in gaming - Clock Speed or Cache?

I am buying a new processor for gaming

I want to ask that if one processor has 3.4ghz clock speed and 1mb cache while the other has 3ghz clock speed and 2mb cache. for which 1 should I go?

And is 65nm or 90nm better?

65nm > 90nm.

What processors are you talking about ?

By the sound of the process you mentioned it seems as though you are comparing a P4 and a new Core2Duo/DualCore!

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I am buying a new processor for gaming

I want to ask that if one processor has 3.4ghz clock speed and 1mb cache while the other has 3ghz clock speed and 2mb cache. for which 1 should I go?

And is 65nm or 90nm better?

[/quote]

Clock speed and cache won’t really help anyone out until you tell us what processors you are comparing…there are many factors that need to be taken in.

I am comparing two pentium 4 processors dun remember the exact names

I will post again

I read at some forum came across while using google in which some ppl said gaming do not need high-end processors and its fine to go for p4

In most games the order of importance will be GPU --> CPU --> HDD

The gpu is the primary piece of hardware responsible for rendering all the on screen visuals, all the polygons, all the lighting, the shading ect. The cpu is there to process that information. The two go hand in hand and work together, but in general you max out the gpu and hit its limit while the cpu still has room to go.

The exception would be games like flight simulator x, or suppreme commander where there are a ton of phisics or AI scripts to process wich are entirly cpu bound and the gpu has nothing to do with it, these task can kill off a weak cpu or even a c2d really easy depending on your settings and with the cpu down for the count the gpu cant do its job, so in that case the cpu can be more important.

go for 65nm Procy.

Clock Speed is Effective while Playing Games or Applications.

Cache is Required for Multi Tasking. if u run too many applications at a Time u need a Good Cache Memory for that.

Thanks for the info.