Which hardrive is better Seagate or Western Digital?

Hi guys i am looking to buy a hardrive which one to go for? Seagate or Western Digital? which one is more reliable?

The 320gb Seagate cost is equal to 500gb of Western Digital and both have 16mb cache.

thanks

WD is the best !

not much difference between the two go for WD if you are saving some bucks

Well thats what i thought but some people are of the opinon that seagate is better than western digital as western digital hard drives die out or have bad sectors with assage of time though the current 500gb model is green compliant meaning it consumes less power 3 to 4 watts less than seagate and is quiter but warranty is for 3 years while seagate offers 5 years warrenty..

go for WD

ok WD Caviar Green Drive it is! =)

i just caled galaxy and he says 500GB WD is for 5500/-rs , apparently Maxtor and Seagate are being merged.. anyways computer inn guy has seagate 500GB for 6200rs/- now the what i am concerned about is that seagate offers complete 5years warranty whereas Wsetern Digital offer 1+2=3years warranty i.e 1year complete and 2 years repairing.. but the galaxy guy was of the opinion that WD hardrives do not go bad or crash so i should not worry.

what say you?

^i heard same abt wd.....btw can u tell why galaxy offer 3yrs warranty...local sellers only giv 10months warranty!!

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

i just caled galaxy and he says 500GB WD is for 5500/-rs , apparently Maxtor and Seagate are being merged… anyways computer inn guy has seagate 500GB for 6200rs/- now the what i am concerned about is that seagate offers complete 5years warranty whereas Wsetern Digital offer 1+2=3years warranty i.e 1year complete and 2 years repairing… but the galaxy guy was of the opinion that WD hardrives do not go bad or crash so i should not worry.

what say you?

[/quote]

You get complete warranty for only an year. After that, it is limited warranty where you have to ship the HDD to the international dealer to get it changed/replaced.

Go for WD. Make sure that it is not a refurbished drive.

Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd Wd

Well i checked on Galaxy today and both 500GB are of 5500/-Rs and how pray tell will i know if it is refurbished hardrive? the hardrive they have mentioned is a green drive of caviar series, besides if price is same why should i not go for seagate which is offering complete 5 years warranty? while WD is offering 1year complete..

Caviar drives are awesome. Even after hoursof running they dont get hot part due to their energy efficient design. WD Beats Seagate in my own experience though their similar

how to determine whether drive is caviar or sht else......i hav wd 500gb sata...tel me where to look for caviar sign on my drive?

Well i checked on Galaxy today and both 500GB are of 5500/-Rs and how pray tell will i know if it is refurbished hardrive? the hardrive they have mentioned is a green drive of caviar series, besides if price is same why should i not go for seagate which is offering complete 5 years warranty? while WD is offering 1year complete…
[/quote]

If you are getting it from Galaxy, it will most probably be a new product.

Caviar drives have a green sticker on them

so what you are saying is that despite the less warranty offered by Western Digital 1+2=3 it is more reliable and performs on par if not better than Seagate which is offering 5years complete warranty? price is same i saw on Galaxy.besides i think Galaxy prices are the best. what say you?

so what you are saying is that despite the less warranty offered by Western Digital 1+2=3 it is more reliable and performs on par if not better than Seagate which is offering 5years complete warranty? price is same i saw on Galaxy.besides i think Galaxy prices are the best. what say you?
[/quote]

Seagate offers 5 years complete warranty? That’s news to me. Don’t forget that we are talking about Pakistan.

Normally, it’s 1 year complete and 4 years limited warranty for Seagate.

yup asad is right and when i bought WD they gave me full 3 years warranty

Yar the Galaxy sales-person whom i talked to said Seagate was 5 years complete warranty but he was stressing/ of the opinion that i go for Western Digital as despite its lesser warranty they have not received any complaints and it is cheaper but later on i checked on their website both have same price of rs 5500/- so which one to go for? Seagate or WD?

Yar the Galaxy sales-person whom i talked to said Seagate was 5 years complete warranty
[/quote]

He is lying. I have 2 HDDs lying around damaged but on which I cannot claim warranty because 1 year passed a long time ago on it.