Where to buy AMD stuffs?

AOA to you all,

A grim issue,I bought my AMD based system from Computer Zone 4 months ago.All was fine and dandy (CZone was even selling the six core processor!)until they removed the price list for AMD processor+motherboard suddenly.Upon contacting them confirmed my fear that they have stopped selling them (there goes my warranty!).I contacted IDL and got the same response.I am worried because should anything happen to my motherboard(ECS,AM2+ socket) I have nowhere else to go.Also I won't be able to upgrade.

I request all the Karachiites to tell me the exact location of where to get the AMD stuffs (those who actually keep it and not remove it at a daily basis).I am seriously tensed (and please don't tell me that it was a mistake.For a low price Athlon II x3 was a better deal than dual core and the entry level Core2Dou.My processor cost was 8500 RS).

P.S:Does anyone in Karachi know where this "Regant Computer Trade Plaza" is located?

Thank You

Just because they stopped selling new AMD systems doesn't mean they can stop honouring warranty claims on systems they've already sold.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Just because they stopped selling new AMD systems doesn’t mean they can stop honouring warranty claims on systems they’ve already sold.
[/quote]

But when they are not even selling the parts needed for the AMD systems,how will they fulfill the replacement warranty if required?They said that you will have to look elsewhere (Saddar or Regal plaza) for the motherboard and processor but will not provide any.

I have a feeling that I have been swindled by Czone.Any idea where to find a shop where AMD is easy to get,rokra?

But when they are not even selling the parts needed for the AMD systems,how will they fulfill the replacement warranty if required?They said that you will have to look elsewhere (Saddar or Regal plaza) for the motherboard and processor but will not provide any.

I have a feeling that I have been swindled by Czone.Any idea where to find a shop where AMD is easy to get,rokra?

[/quote]

Is that how a business works in Pakistan? I would think they would keep some working parts with them to honour potential warranty claims that they may face in the future. Or they might order parts when a warranty claim arises. Either way they have no excuse.

I don’t understand how you can run a computer store like this. By their very nature computer parts go obsolete and yet you have to offer lengthy warranties. So you have to have some parts in stock that you never sell but hold onto in case there are warranty claims.

Dont' worry.

There are obviously shops who do still sell amd components here in pakistan.

1.agn (techno citi mall karachi) keeps getting amd mobo and processors from time to time.

2. there is a shop opp. sasi arcade computer centre clifton, karachi where you can actually order the mobo of your choice from abroad and they will deliver it to you (the price will be there off course) when you go in anybody will tell you where the shop is because everybody knows about it. I am forgetting its name at the moment

3. Astrontech in lahore sell amd components (with warranty and i am not sure but i think they deliver as well within pakistan)

4. galaxy computers in karachi unicentre gets amd stuff from time to time (second hand items are also available).

5. and at last there is always the second hand option. you can find second hand (and new amd) motherboards from 2 shops in karachi. One is in regal trade computer centre, saddar (near mobile market) and another in naz digital plaza opp nishat cinema, saddar. ask anyone when you go to these places and they will let you know which shops deals with amd components.

so a lot of options for you if something happens :) :) :)

Yes it is difficult to find AMD CPUs and Boards in Karachi, but you will be able to buy AMD GPUs next year as AMD has dropped ATi brand name starting with new 6xxx Radeon HD Series.

Yes it is difficult to find AMD CPUs and Boards in Karachi, but you will be able to buy AMD GPUs next year as AMD has dropped ATi brand name starting with new 6xxx Radeon HD Series.
[/quote]

the reply from jack says the otherwise,I think

And what does rebranding of AMD GPUs have to do with its popularity here?I think the salesman will start dropping them as well under the excuse of “overheating and not designed for this environment” just like their processor :).

Dont’ worry.

There are obviously shops who do still sell amd components here in pakistan.

1.agn (techno citi mall karachi) keeps getting amd mobo and processors from time to time.

2. there is a shop opp. sasi arcade computer centre clifton, karachi where you can actually order the mobo of your choice from abroad and they will deliver it to you (the price will be there off course) when you go in anybody will tell you where the shop is because everybody knows about it. I am forgetting its name at the moment

3. Astrontech in lahore sell amd components (with warranty and i am not sure but i think they deliver as well within pakistan)

4. galaxy computers in karachi unicentre gets amd stuff from time to time (second hand items are also available).

5. and at last there is always the second hand option. you can find second hand (and new amd) motherboards from 2 shops in karachi. One is in regal trade computer centre, saddar (near mobile market) and another in naz digital plaza opp nishat cinema, saddar. ask anyone when you go to these places and they will let you know which shops deals with amd components.

so a lot of options for you if something happens :) :slight_smile: :)

[/quote]

I can’t find AMD’s price list at galaxy’s website

I don’t know about AGN,a year ago I visited them and said that they no longer have AMD processors and stuff.I will check again this year to see if I am wrong.

What is this sasi arcade computer centre in clifton?I have been at clifton many times but didn’t see this centre.Also try to remember the exact name of the shop.

I do not prefer second hand components,Intel or AMD,Nvidia or AMD,Western Digital or Seagate E.T.C.New and fresh stuffs,that’s all.

I recently found a place called Continental Establishment (from pakcm.com) somewhere at Hasrat Mohani Road Karachi.They were selling AMD processors at a wholesale price.Can you confirm it?

Thank you

pakcm still have AMD chips listed but they are not selling them at reasonable prices and like everyone else here in pakistan they have over priced AMD stuff.

Regarding overheating of AMD chip that's old news, in fact it goes back to 1999-2003 era when AMD was selling K7 Athlon, Jack will say the same. In fact nowadays nVidia graphic cards are more power hungry and produce more heat compared to AMD/Ati Graphic cards.

RAK ..lets see what happens when amd drops the ati brand name

..pakcm telephone number is...+92-21-3263 4308..will conform if they have ati processors. But I will conform their prices on website have inflated rates on both amd and intel

processors.

..I totally agree with you regarding the amd overheating chips. As long you have a big fan in your casing blowing the heat out and a good solid power supply (like fsp and

corsair) then you should not have any problems.

MbHashmi...galaxy tends to get amd stuff every 4-5 months. keep checking back and see.

...Just stand in front of sasi arcade and look across and you will see a building beyond a parking lot. There you will see a 2 story building. I will try to remember axact name of

shop.

...if you want to buy amd NEW motherboards then here's the website (this is based in karachi) they still have amd motherboards available according to their website:

http://www.beliscity.com/computers_desktop_components_motherboards/c4_71_487/index.html

thanks jack for the help.I really appreciate it.

About beliscity.com,the variety of AMD processor is too little(no phenom II x3 or x4) but they have their monstrous Phenom II X6!

I will explore the Saddar and Sasi arcade,Clifton like you mentioned.The result will be posted when done.

Before you buy be sure to check the benchmarks here:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

I think you'll find that in Pakistan AMD CPUs don't offer good value for money :(

rokra, sadly, i must agree with you on that count,

the amd motherboards and processors are overpriced, we need dealers to import less expensive motherboards, I have already talked to one or 2 dealers about this but unless

i get to talk to their boss (most of the big dealers are seth owned companies) they will not do anything.

I did get to talk to and convince the main samsung dealer (optical drive) (the seth that is) who i knew because i was acquainted with his son about pricing policies of his optical drives here. Because of my own degree in business and (minor) computer science from the usa i guess what i explained to him seemed to make sense. There fore you will see that at the very least samsung optical drives are the cheapest in the market.

^^ Yeah its true. Samsung drives are widely available and inexpensive.

The problem with AMD is that the company shows no interest in Pakistan. Why is it that AMD CPUs are 75% more expensive in Pakistan than outside of Pakistan? The only reason I can think of is that AMD hasn't appointed an authorized distributor in Pakistan that can match international prices.

rokra..thats true as well, there is no official dealor appointed by amd for pakistan. Also back around 1999, the dealors (ideal among them) did try to compete with intel but failed to get the message across of having a good power supply and air flow in the computer case with amd systems. Therefore they failed to get amd off the ground except for a small minority in pakistan who got hooked up with amd. Now these old amd customers will always buy amd no matter what intel has to offer.

The dealors also got the idea of always keeping comparative amd procesors prices high because in pakistan people think, "its expensive so it must be better". This stupid philosophy ruined amd market share in pakistan and now the main dealers like ideal, agn and even the new once's like czone has discontinued amd. :(

I am no fan of amd to be honest.Its that I can get a better processor at a low price than what intel has to offer (read my first post carefully).Also I have used an AMD based system 10 years ago (the AMD K3 processor or something) and was rock stable for 8 years,except for the failing hard disk.Purchased an intel based system and lasted only for 3 years.So I returned back to AMD,with the trust of the same stability that I knew.

Also we can't just sit around and whine about AMD not supporting us.We might want to start a petition,spread awareness or something.AMD systems are way cheaper than intel,therefore it is easy marketing (since computer sales is very slow) and a win win situation,since it will put intel in a competitive mode and start slashing price for their stuffs as well.

And rokra I don't bother with any kind of benchmarks,it can be misleading.I only prefer to hear real time experience from those who are actually using it.

I am no fan of amd to be honest.Its that I can get a better processor at a low price than what intel has to offer (read my first post carefully).Also I have used an AMD based system 10 years ago (the AMD K3 processor or something) and was rock stable for 8 years,except for the failing hard disk.Purchased an intel based system and lasted only for 3 years.So I returned back to AMD,with the trust of the same stability that I knew.

Also we can’t just sit around and whine about AMD not supporting us.We might want to start a petition,spread awareness or something.AMD systems are way cheaper than intel,therefore it is easy marketing (since computer sales is very slow) and a win win situation,since it will put intel in a competitive mode and start slashing price for their stuffs as well.

And rokra I don’t bother with any kind of benchmarks,it can be misleading.I only prefer to hear real time experience from those who are actually using it.

[/quote]

Please jack,no gloomy or D-Day picture for AMD here.We need to spread awareness about the benefits of purchasing an AMD system,then automatically we will see a surge in its sales.I still have hope.

P.S:Whoops,wrong button…thought I was editing!

Contact AGN Computers at 021-111-111-246. They have some latest arrivals of amd products.

I can’t find AMD’s price list at galaxy’s website

I don’t know about AGN,a year ago I visited them and said that they no longer have AMD processors and stuff.I will check again this year to see if I am wrong.

What is this sasi arcade computer centre in clifton?I have been at clifton many times but didn’t see this centre.Also try to remember the exact name of the shop.

I do not prefer second hand components,Intel or AMD,Nvidia or AMD,Western Digital or Seagate E.T.C.New and fresh stuffs,that’s all.

I recently found a place called Continental Establishment (from pakcm.com) somewhere at Hasrat Mohani Road Karachi.They were selling AMD processors at a wholesale price.Can you confirm it?

Thank you

[/quote]

Sassi Arcade is near English Boot House, Clifton branch (Map of EBH: http://www.paktive.com/English-Boot-House-Clifton_509SA04.html). When you reach there, ask anyone and they will tell you. Also there are offices of money exchangers there and also there are outlets of DHL and TCS near Sassi Arcade.

Hmm.... mbhashmi I was just stating facts of amd markting mistakes here as asked by rokra.

My friend you may start petitions but you still need dealers established and otherwise to import amd hardware into the country.

Let us hope that they get their pricing straight and gets things going for us again.