Where can I buy some heating element core?

Any ideas on where I can buy some Kanthal or NiChrome in AWG 30 or 28?

This is where they are typically used. If someone knows where I can buy this wire please tell me.

XgZH2fq.jpg

city? location?

Preferably KHI, if not I could have a friend from ISB or LHR ship it to me.

These heating elements should be easily available from any electric shop. Usually available in 500W, 1000W and 2000W power ratings.

@Ijaz

Are these pre coiled? If they come in these power ratings does it mean each coil has a different resistance?

Yes, they are pre-coiled without any gap in-between. You have to pull it to create some gap and obtain some length.

Yes, 500W will have high resistance while a 2000W will have low resistance.

Is there a store where I could buy a spool? For my purpose the pre coiled wires are useless.

Getting a spool like this would be ideal but I doubt if this is available in PK.

lEi0ig8.jpg

Let me check about this straight NiChrome thing. Hopefully I will get back to you by tomorrow noon.

Great! Thanks

BTW: What length you need ? Or you want to make a specific wattage heater ?

Would you please describe a little about your application ? Maybe some other solution can work like pulling insulated heating wires from an old electric blanket or heating pad.

Are you making a foam cutter, by any chance?

^ I have one which can cut foam and thermopore sheets upto 2" easily on a 900 x 600 mm bed.

Do you want to make some packing ?

^It is for a custom electronic cigarette. Here is someone else's setup to give you some idea https://imgur.com/a/FUMGd

I have some 33 AWG nichrome, its too thin. I need thicker wire for lower resistance.

So you need this thing ?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Replacement-Nichrome-Resistance-Wire-for-E-Cigarette-1M-0-18mm-33-AWG/1447135003.html

This one is for e-cigarette but still 33AWG so you already have the right size ?

Since it is custom there is no right size. You select your wire based on how much watts of heat you want your element to heat up.

The coils I make with the 33AWG gives around 2ohm's so I can only have 8.82 watts on the coil with a fully charged 18650 battery.

With the 30 guage or 28 I could easily go 10-15 amps

[quote=", post:12, topic:21037"]

^ I have one which can cut foam and thermopore sheets upto 2" easily on a 900 x 600 mm bed.

Do you want to make some packing ?

[/quote]

Thanks. Don't need any such thing myself. I was wondering about foam cutter since I have seen folks inquiring about heater wire for that very purpose and there are lots of DIYs around for that task.

[quote=“executionist, post:15, topic:21037”]

Since it is custom there is no right size. You select your wire based on how much watts of heat you want your element to heat up.

The coils I make with the 33AWG gives around 2ohm's so I can only have 8.82 watts on the coil with a fully charged 18650 battery.

With the 30 guage or 28 I could easily go 10-15 amps

[/quote]

Have you tried metallic guitar string?

^ Not tried anything other than the 33awg nichrome I got from China.

Is guitar string malleable? Never inspected one upclose but I am under the impression it is a springy wire.

Also there is a consensus in the vaping community that anything other than kanthal or nichrome gives off an awful metallic taste.

Have you tried or read about using stainless steel wire?

You might want to look into nichrome wire springs... Dunno if they are available locally.

If only I had a calculator like this for Stainless steel http://www.jacobs-online.biz/nichrome/NichromeCalc.html. I cant even find charts for stainless steel wire. I can speculate that it would not do a very good job of heating up the same way nichrome does at 4.2 volts.

Ordering them online is not an issue, not too fond of the wait.