When will 6 & 8 Mbps be economical

4 Mb/s @ Rs. 2100

8 Mb/s @ Rs. 7000

Doesn't that seem a bit too extreme? And its been like that for quite some time. I remember when I first shifted to ptcl from cable internet. They improved really well back in those days. I started with a 256 Kbps package and soon they upgraded it to 512. And later they upgraded it to 1 Mb. The jump to 2 Mb wasn't that much (only around 300) and then the same case for 4 MB.

But its been a while since I've been on 4 Mb and now this speed seems less. :P

I personally think that the reason for this is ptcl introducing 3G EVO. There was no reason to introduce wireless infrastructure when they hadn't fully completed the wired one. And now I think the dsl users are paying for the losses ptcl is incurring on evo. Might be wrong, ofcourse... but still. I remember someone said earlier last year that 4 Mb/s would be made standard by the end of 2013 so I was hoping that 6 or 8 Mb connections would be within reach by 2014. Does anyone see that happening anytime soon?

^ 1 word

Nope.

Well even if they decrease the price, the speed will become crap. Using 4mb already but it is really worst. Download speed is fine but browsing speed is terrible.

In Europe/SE Asia, the average broadband speeds long ago

crossed the 100MB mark, while here we are, hands clasped,

years down the road, waiting for a 8MB miracle to happen from

PTCL.

According to PTCL mgmt, they have more BWth then Pakistan

can use. Most of their fibre is unlit.

But why should they give out more BWth, at cheaper rates to

you ?. Before deregulation, PTCL charged us hundreds of Rs

per minutes for calls to USA. Now, what is it ?, 2 Rs ?. You can

be sure that if there was no competition, PTCL would still be

charging you & I, the old rates. Actually they moan about it in

public documents.

I was using Maxcom, when they doubled our packages. Then

PTCL followed suit (had to). Then PTCL bought-out Maxcom

and promptly raised the price of the same package, which

Maxcom had never raised.

Nobody on this forum has been able to explain, why Pakistanis

should pay more, for less BWth, than either Americans, Europeans

or Koreans. We just do, and that's the way it is in Pakistan, and

you must all shut-up about it, and thank PTCL/Etisalat for conn-

ecting you to the net at all.

Sheikh 'ParDa Chaak KarTay Hoey' Chilli

4MB is the cheapest package when compared to others. It's almost the half the price if you see it.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

PTCL will be forced to reduce packages pricing when 3G/4G services get into full swing. Whether they like it or not.

[quote=“Aciel, post:5, topic:20863”]

4MB is the cheapest package when compared to others. It's almost the half the price if you see it. Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

[/quote]

It was cheap but not now with the taxes they apply on broadband too.

[quote=“koder, post:7, topic:20863”]

4MB is the cheapest package when compared to others. It’s almost the half the price if you see it. Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

It was cheap but not now with the taxes they apply on broadband too.

[/quote]

How many taxes are you all getting in other cities?

For me in Islamabad is 2,100+250+ the tax of 190. Total is Rs 2,540

Sent from Moto G XT1033 using Tapatalk

There was a FED on telephone linerent and calls only ,dsl was not included but now they put on 19 percent FED on broadband too,on inquiring from ptcl helpline he told me KPK government passed a bill for generating revenue blaa blaa,joker wasnt having any answer he was trying to tackle me ,i told him its not under KPK GOV. Its under centre/federal Gov to do these nasty things..anyways its not fair for us in KPK.

[quote=“jDk, post:6, topic:20863”]

PTCL will be forced to reduce packages pricing when 3G/4G services get into full swing. Whether they like it or not.

[/quote]

Well, i really doubt they'll be "forced" to do reduce prices. more likely all the big players will come to an understanding on charging a common base price. I'm betting the initial introductory prices are going to be insane.

They can kiss their profits goodbye if they intend to capture the market.

Sent From Nexus 5

It is pretty sad to see how high global average download and upload speed is on speed.net global index. AFAIK they have discontinued 6 Mb/s and now only 8 Mb/s package is available. One can only hope they upgrade 4 Mb/s users to 6 Mb/s this year.

[quote=“koder, post:9, topic:20863”]

koder, on 20 Mar 2014 - 02:04 AM, said:

There was a FED on telephone linerent and calls only ,dsl was not included but now they put on 19 percent FED on broadband too,on inquiring from ptcl helpline he told me KPK government passed a bill for generating revenue blaa blaa,joker wasnt having any answer he was trying to tackle me ,i told him its not under KPK GOV. Its under centre/federal Gov to do these nasty things..anyways its not fair for us in KPK.

[/quote]

19% FED is also imposed in Sindh on Internet connection costing 1,500 or above. I have to downgrade my connection to 2 Mb/s because of this stupid tex. If they offer 6 Mb/s at price of 4 Mb/s @ 2,100 then I might consider upgrading my package again.

You can thank the KPK & Sindh Governments for this generosity. Tabdeeli tou aani hee thee :)

On topic, they haven't really upgraded their packages since 2010. Heck they even discontinued the 2Mbps package, which they only recently reinstated due to popular demand. I'm willing to pay so long as they improve their quality of service & reduce their downtime. In my opinion FTTH is the only solution to their majority of problems. Their over-reliance on their aging copper network will be their Achilles Heel.

[quote=“jDk, post:6, topic:20863”]

[/quote]

I don't think 3G and 4G will affect DSL prices. The cellular companies will be paying a pretty damn high sum for the license this April, and they do have to cover their costs somehow. I would expect 3G and 4G internet to be pretty ridiculously high priced. Even if they are cheaper than the current evo prices, no way would they be any threat to dsl. I doubt any company will beat PTCL's 40 GB bandwidth limit, and even if they do, the max you should expect is 80 GB. No way would a connection restricted to 80 GB compete with a 300 GB dsl connection. I download above 70 GB in my exam months. :lol:

I don't think anything will change unless new competitors enter the market with much better rates. Don't count the connections like nayatel as competitors, though. They're worse than ptcl from what I see, and their only redeeming quality would be the better customer support. There seems to be a new local isp in karachi though. Some connect communications or something. From what I saw, they're offering 10 Mb/s at 3k. A few more of such ISPs in a few more cities and we might just see ptcl lowering its prices.

Edit: Yeah, a 4 Mb to 6 Mb upgrade would be great. Probably the first upgrade in 4 years I think. Lets hope they do that soon.

Rejoice friends, good days are here B)

Now you can have 100MB/s speed in just few rupees

[quote=“armada, post:17, topic:20863”]

[/quote]

what are you talking about? lte?

[quote=“armada, post:17, topic:20863”]

[/quote]

It should read 100kb of data at 100mb/s only in few rupee

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk