When are the new Processors coming

hasnt it been a while since we have seen a new batch of processors. If the remember right, Intel used to release new C2Ds models every 3 months, but now I think its been more than 7 months.

New processors have been released. New core i3's, i5's and i7's with the clarksdale core were released a few months back (look at the processor numbers, e.g. 8xx, 561 etc). At the end of this year or at the start of next year, core i series will be updated to the sandybridge core (processor numbers will be like 2xxx).

Intel is using something they call the "tick tock" strategy, that means basically that they will release new processors with new micro architecture every 2 years. In the last 7 months intel has released the new (now old) processors family (core i3,i5,i7). They are about to change their chipset however from 1156 to 1155 chipset and newer motherboards supporting the chips will also arrive in january 2011 jan.

That means that the new core chipsets 1156,1366 etc of core i3,i5 etc will be phased out and new chipset 1155 (which are not backward compatible by the way) will come in.

In january 2012, Intel will release another new set of processors with 22 nm.

http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-4487-view-Intel-22-nm-processor-in-2012.html

some more info here on tick tock strategy,

http://www.intel.com/technology/tick-tock/index.htm

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

New processors have been released. New core i3’s, i5’s and i7’s with the clarksdale core were released a few months back (look at the processor numbers, e.g. 8xx, 561 etc). At the end of this year or at the start of next year, core i series will be updated to the sandybridge core (processor numbers will be like 2xxx).
[/quote]

Plz point out which processor is new

http://galaxy.pk/main-forms/cpu-main.htm

I checked them out and they are older than 7 months, which is a lot

^

"Relatively" new processors in that list would be 980x and perhaps 950.

^its still 7 or more months, which is kinda going against their tick tock policy...

tick tock policy states new processors with new architectures will be introduced every 2 years. As it has been 7- 8 months only when the core i5,i7 were introduced (core i3 came in later on), then it will be 13 months more till the next 22nm chips will be introduced

I once read in a magazine that they usually introduce new technology after 18 Months!

But during the C2D era they released CPUs every quarter of a year, why the slow down now.

Is it cuz AMD arent able to dent Intel's new architectures??

^ AMD strictly produce price-to-performance ratio processors.

Its just that consumers with phat pockets/empty brains usually fell for intel and end up buying stuff they don't really need and/or can't make a full/appropriate use of what they bought.

Take intel's latest and greatest 980x(surely a beast) and AMD's 1090 thuban (half a beast) for example....If 980x gives 100% performance over all than 1090 give 50 to 60% performance in comparison.

980x is only compatible only with 1366 chipset (thats not a lots of MOBO options), where as 1090 is compatible with perhaps three different or two definite chipsets, AM2, AM2+ and the latest AM3 ( thats lot of MOBO options) and the same is also true for both AMD and Intel if go down the hierarchy toward quad core and dual core processors.

Both are of 6 cores but there aren't so many/any normal every-day-use applications that are built to utilize all the 6 cores.... so actually buying any of those 6 core processors is actually killing a sparrow with a tank of course unless if your buying it for hardcore professional environment or for development purposes.

But still if you wanna buy it just for the sake of it.....980x retails at 999$ and thuban at ~300$.

DO THE MATH.

And yes, AMD always puts a dent into intel if one knows his/her calculations. :)

Personally, I would always go for AMD when and if i wanted to built a custom made PC.

Amd IS able to dent intel's new architectures, Just not on the high level.

Allow me to explain. There are 3 levels at which processors are released by both amd and intel.

Low, Mid level and high level.

For example core i3 is low level, i5 mid level and i7 high level for intel.

Amd's low level is sempron (YES my friends, sempron is still available just not in pakistan), Athlon II is mid level and Phenom II is high level. Sempron and athlon II were able to compete with the dual core and core 2 duos. Now they have started lagging behind the intel core chips.

The Phenom II have failed to complete in the high levels. That is why amd is currently targeting the video encryption market with their 1055t and 1066t processors with 6 cores. That is only till amd's own new chips (code named Bulldozer) comes on the market. Let us see what happens then.

Here is a comparison for between intel and amds chips (gaming) that should explain everything.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i5-athlon-ii,2675-7.html

just because galaxy doesnt have them in stock doesnt mean intel isnt making them. you look at galaxy website to see the latest processors and not the intel website? :S

^I didnt specify from where it was coming from.. :P

actually I would look at the newegg website as well. They usually have the latest stuff in stock.

Because amd is lagging behind intel, Amd chips dont sell well here. Recently Czone.com.pk has stopped selling amd pro and mobo altogether. Also for some INSANE REASON, amd stuff is expensive here then intel. Stupid dealers and resellers in the market who do not understand the amd price to performance ratio do not stock amd products.

In the end Unavailability of mobos and processors has also destroyed the market for amd in pakistan.

In the end Unavailability of mobos and processors has also destroyed the market for amd in pakistan.
[/quote]

True said.

Pakistan ki to baat hi na karo... :/

The problem is that right now we are at a transition period.

There are two intel platforms currently available:

- The older budget socket 775 platform for which intel has released the pentium e6500 and e6800 globally but only the former is available in Pakistan. Both chips are comparable in speed to the fastest core2duos but consumers and shopkeepers seem to be ignorant of that fact.

- The newer, more expensive socket 1156 platform which includes core i3 and core i5 chips.

The problem is that most Pakistanis can't afford the newer 1156 platform. A core i3 CPU starts at Rs. 9500 and a mobo for it at Rs. 8500. So its too expensive for pakistani consumers.

Also socket 1156 is only here for a short while. Come 2011 a new intel platform called sandy bridge will be sold. It will require a new socket 1155. So why anyone would spend good money on a transitory platform like socket 1156 is beyond me.

The older lga 775 platform is considered obsolete and shopkeepers here are afraid to keep large stocks of 775 parts. There are only a handful of mobos available for this platform because of this reason. They are also not too eager to promote this platform.

Finally, inflation has eroded the purchasing power of most Pakistanis. The result is that most computer shops are busy selling cheap used pentium 4 computers that are thrown out by people in rich countries.

rokra..The problem is that most Pakistanis can't afford the newer 1156 platform.

Also socket 1156 is only here for a short while. Come 2011 a new intel platform called sandy bridge will be sold. It will require a new socket 1155. So why anyone would spend good money on a transitory platform like socket 1156 is beyond me.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Totally agree here with rokra. The fact also is that the the core i5 and i7 are also very expensive for the people living abroad as well. I have seen on foreign forums that people are not willing to upgrade.

That is why intel (in its own weird wisdom) has decided to reduce the cache size of core i3 (by 1 mb) and i5 (by 2 mb) and switch the whole core line to a ddr 2 (1333 bus) format. This will mean the new sandy bridge processor will be slightly slower (in games anyways) then their current counterparts.

Also I personally think intel really messed up with new core line as their temp when under load run at about 65 - 70c (on the core i3 part). Don't even get me started on core i5 and i7 (which on most models give a stock temp of 70c) which in my opinion make them closer to a pentium d. Of course the core i15 and i7 are much faster but at 70c on stock I think these chips are not long lasting. I shudder to think what these chips will give when on full load. The intel stock heatsink and fans with the processors are also totally useless. In our hot weather in pakistan you really have to have a good casing with good fans to keep them cool.

The problem is that right now we are at a transition period.

[/quote]

This would mean that manufacturers will try to sell all their stocks during Christmas… 2011 is so far away…

sandybridgeis expected to be introduced in the first quarter 2011, They are expected to arrive within 4-5 months from now (sep 28, 2010)