What should I get? Dell Inspiron N5010 or HP Probook 4520S

Assalam Walaikum ,

I am looking for a new notebook to buy , i narrowed my options to these two choices as they fit my bill . As you see below they have almost the same specifications, and i am confused whether its dell or hp the better . I need a reliable notebook that could last a couple of years without problems and i am willing to hear your opinions.

here is the specifications of the two notebooks :

DELL INSPIRON N5010

PROCESSOR:INTEL CORE i3 380 2.53GHZ

CHIPSET :INTEL® HM57 CHIPSET

MEMORY :2048MB SUPPORT UPTO 8GB DDR3

HARD DRIVE :320GB SATA HARD DRIVE 5400rpm

OPTICAL DRIVE :DVD-SUPER MULTI DOUBLE LAYER DRIVE

DISPLAY :15.6" HD 1366 x 768 PIXEL RESOLUTION

HP PROBOOK 4520S

PROCESSOR:INTEL CORE i3 370 2.4GHZ

CHIPSET :INTEL® HM57 CHIPSET

MEMORY :2048MB SUPPORT UPTO 8GB DDR3

HARD DRIVE :320GB SATA HARD DRIVE 7200rpm

DISPLAY :39.6 cm (15.6") diagonal High-Definition LED HP BrightView

OPTICAL DRIVE :LightScribe SuperMulti DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

My vote will goto Dell.

However you should find and read some reviews about both machines. This will bring up some pros/cons of both.

happy with my dell n5010 which i bought last week. Do look for one on Czone with 3GB Ram and a dedicated gfx card

Wa alekum salam

Please have a look at Lenovo Thinkpad edge 15 (available on galaxy)

LENOVO THINKPAD EDGE

PROCESSOR:

INTEL CORE i3 380 2.53GHZ

CHIPSET :

MOBILE INTEL 5 SERIES INTEGRATED GFX CHIPSETS

MEMORY :

2048MB DDR3

HARD DRIVE :

500GB SATA HARD DRIVE 5400rpm

OPTICAL DRIVE :

DVD RECORDABLE 8x MAX DUAL LAYER

DISPLAY :

15.6" HD ANTIGLARE, MIDNIGHT BLACK SMOOTH

Thinkpad(T series) are proven rugged laptops but costs are too high , this time lenovo has come up with a lighter version of thinkpad and surely affordable. I still expect a good deal of performance though.

I would prefer HP over Dell based on feedback i have.

review of thinkpad:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5656

I m going for the one yuronline suggested. Thanks everyone!

You should go for HP Probook 4520S beacause it is better then all the others one of my friends use it and he is having great experience there.I am also thniking to change my pc and turn on to that.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I m going for the one yuronline suggested. Thanks everyone!
[/quote]

which machine you got?

I bought hp probook 4520s with 512mb graphics card as dell n5010 was not available with it.

^ For how much you got it? International Warranty or Local? How's the battery timings?

Dell is better than HP

Dell and HP both suck. If it is available in Pakistan, go for ASUS!

Yup Asus and Acer are very good brands, but you know in a country where people like brands like NOKIA, you must be careful otherwise in future you will not get your desired resale price :P

I would never recommend Dell or HP or anything else. The machine i bought met my requirements, thats it. So buy what meet your requirements.

^ Agreed :)

My friend just bought Dell N5010 [Dos]...

After installation of Windows 7 32bit, come to know that there is no drivers on Dell website for 32bit OS, they provide only for 64bit. Ok now i installed Windows 7 64bit, but given WLAN driver cant be installed after 3 hours of search and headache i have to return it back to vendor...Let see what will happen.

so in-short bad experiance with Dell N5010, why drivers not avilable for Windows 7 32bit on Dell website...

^ Why you want to install 32-Bit version? What is the make and model of your WLAN chip?

^ For how much you got it? International Warranty or Local? How’s the battery timings?
[/quote]

I got it for Rs.48800 international warranty. Battery timing is ok not great. Give me around 2 hrs backup.

Btw this is my first laptop.

^ I got the same model with 2.53Ghz, 3Gb, 320Gb and 1Gb Card :) and its mine first lappy too :P

My friend just bought Dell N5010 [Dos]…

After installation of Windows 7 32bit, come to know that there is no drivers on Dell website for 32bit OS, they provide only for 64bit. Ok now i installed Windows 7 64bit, but given WLAN driver cant be installed after 3 hours of search and headache i have to return it back to vendor…Let see what will happen.

so in-short bad experiance with Dell N5010, why drivers not avilable for Windows 7 32bit on Dell website…

[/quote]

There was a problem with WLAN card, now they have replaced it.

Thats why i recommend pre-installed OS.

@MZC

Software compatibiliy…

Most of software work with 64-Bit OS! Pre-installed windows comes with a lot of junk ware, moreover you can't use pirated software like Office etc on it.