What is VPS?

what do you know about VPS (virtual private server)
how it works? what is the purpose of VPS? .

Virtual Private Server in simple terms It's just a 24x7 running computer with lots of disk space, high speed Internet and with faster processors, it could be any where in the world, you control it virtually via Windows remote desktop application or third party program provided by VPS host.... Main usages are online game hosting and website hosting but you can use it as torrent seedbox etc

Learn more about VPS on Wikipedia.org

You can understand it as a computer with Linux on it, works only via commandline (NO GUI), has 100 mbps or sometimes 1gbps internet connection and seated in foreign countries where electricity and internet are reliable.

[quote=“Myelin, post:3, topic:21459”]

You can understand it as a computer with Linux on it, works only via commandline (NO GUI), has 100 mbps or sometimes 1gbps internet connection and seated in foreign countries where electricity and internet are reliable.

[/quote]

[quote=“armada, post:2, topic:21459”]

Virtual Private Server in simple terms It's just a 24x7 running computer with lots of disk space, high speed Internet and with faster processors, it could be any where in the world, you control it virtually via Windows remote desktop application or third party program provided by VPS host.... Main usages are online game hosting and website hosting but you can use it as torrent seedbox etc Learn more about VPS on Wikipedia.org

[/quote]

thank you very much :) VPS is clear ... then What is the differnce B/w VPS hosting and Other Hosting like .. ReSeller .NEt hosting .com hosting .org etc .... ? IS VPS Better than other hosting Services ?? because VPS could be anywhere in the world where electricty and Internet connection is reliable all the time 24/7 ?? which one is good ?

[quote=“Turnbull, post:6, topic:21459”]

Virtual Private Server in simple terms It’s just a 24x7 running computer with lots of disk space, high speed Internet and with faster processors, it could be any where in the world, you control it virtually via Windows remote desktop application or third party program provided by VPS host… Main usages are online game hosting and website hosting but you can use it as torrent seedbox etc Learn more about VPS on Wikipedia.org

thank you very much :) VPS is clear … then What is the differnce B/w VPS hosting and Other Hosting like … ReSeller .NEt hosting .com hosting .org etc … ? IS VPS Better than other hosting Services ?? because VPS could be anywhere in the world where electricty and Internet connection is reliable all the time 24/7 ?? which one is good ?

[/quote]
VPS is the same as dedicated server. Reseller is the same as shared just with ability to resell…

Before choosing vps first mention your requirements what type of site you wanna run, how many pages, and data you will be transferring also how much terrific you will be getting?

[quote=“Turnbull, post:6, topic:21459”]

thank you very much :) VPS is clear ... then What is the differnce B/w VPS hosting and Other Hosting like .. ReSeller .NEt hosting .com hosting .org etc .... ? IS VPS Better than other hosting Services ?? because VPS could be anywhere in the world where electricty and Internet connection is reliable all the time 24/7 ?? which one is good ?

[/quote]

VPS costs more and needs a professional. Other hosting like reseller they are also using VPS but they are pros, they set the server maintain it and sell the resources on that VPS as hosting.. They offer it via installing cpanel commercial licence which is all that you need and it is what most of us and even the masters use: cpanel, not VPS. If you even think to get a VPS than you just need a team of experts which would keep the VPS stable before you could build a website on it!

as mentioned above VPS is a Virtual Private Server often used to run various personal or corporate web applications or software, the good thing about VPS is its dedicated storage, ram, bandwidth, also you have full control over it and you can do anything you want with it, its like a pc in your home but you are connecting it via remote connection.

VPS is a virtual private server meaning its not a physical machine, but a virtual host running in a physical server. This term is usually used in webhosting context like VPS hosting. If you know Vmware Server or oracle virtual box in which you can create multiple machines with different operating systems. So if you for example install redhat operating system with apache, php and all other modules to make it as a server, then it means you have a virtual server running in vmware or virtual box. Is it ringing bells? :)

Ask for more. Will be happy to assist you.

[quote=“Myelin, post:3, topic:21459”]

[/quote]

LOL.

Generally Speaking, Any Server you control remotely from any location via Internet is callled a VPS. You never owned the VPS but just rent it by paying a subscribtion fee.

The hardware / OS and Internet connection speed varies as per your budget and requirements.

VPS can be used to serve different taks but generally people refer it to a Web server which can handle more traffic than a shared web server. For eg: VPS can either be used as a Windows desktop PC from US based IP address just for watching Youtube to by pass PTA Restrictions. :)

If someone needs VPN and also a seedbox, but does not want to become a linux command line expert, is VPS a solution?

Is it possible to get both these birds with one very reasonably priced stone?

Seedboxes come with a VPN, like pulsemedia etc

VPS hosting is a Virtual Private Server, and is a virtualized server. A VPS hosting environment mimics a dedicated server within a shared hosting environment. It is technically both shared hosting and dedicated hosting.

VPS Hosting is one of several types of web hosting accounts you can choose from to host your website online. To have a website on the internet, you need to have your website files on a web server. Setting up and managing a server can not only be expensive, but difficult too. Purchasing web hosting allows someone to rent space on a web server, making it easier for the average person to have host a website online because all they need to do is upload their site files (no server setup is needed on their part). There are several types of web hosting accounts available:

I hope this will help you for understanding.

Senior Technical Manager

Faiz Khan

Kalhost.com

Thanks for the info. My priority is VPN so the Internet is no longer broken for me. That is it basically, I really appreciate offensive content not showing up - but there are free tools you can install on your own computer to prevent that.

I use torrents and a seedbox would be useful.

I think a VPS would be useful for installing and trying software but is perhaps costly. There are shared application servers you can rent by the month. Some are preconfigured and ready to use.

I looked at the cost for seedboxes and VPS. In both cases, the resource is idle most of the time and my down speed is still limited. Prices increase by disk space and network speed. They seem expensive unless I can find local partners who will share the cost - this is unlikely.

I guess I don't know how to make the VPS pay for itself but a lot of users probably do. Wire is always last to know this good stuff.

[quote=“Wire, post:15, topic:21459”]

I guess I don't know how to make the VPS pay for itself but a lot of users probably do. Wire is always last to know this good stuff.

[/quote]

You ca do that by hosting few unique sites and making money via affiliate marketing or google adsense, but do not waste your time on it. Concentrate on your real carrier in real life.