What is the proper way to use laptop - A/C or Battery?

I always use my laptop with direct power and I use it with battery only during load-shedding (for few minutes) or when I have some emergency work.

But I read an article "Keeping Your Laptop Plugged in All the Time Will Kill Its Battery Faster". It says when the battery hits 100% you should unplug it and use it on battery. This will keep the cells in lithium battery active and will make the battery life up to 4 times longer.

If I use it on battery I don't get the full brightness / contrast, I mean overall look of the screen becomes very dull, but with direct power it is great.

How do you use your laptop? Don't you see the dull brightness / colors?

Article link: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/09/laptop-battery/

Google about modifying power plan in your version of windows. You can set your speed and brightness and a host of other cells while on power. While you can stay all time on power but it's good to fully discharge the battery few times in a week. And the fully charge it.

I have always stayed in power and my battery lasted 1 year max.
But a fried on mine would would disconnect after it was fully charged. Not always but most of time?

And his is still going strong after 3 years. It’s almost 80% as strong as it used to be.

Both were Toshiba netbooks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Batteries are bound to die at some point no matter what you do. With laptop its better to drain your battery completely from time to time. I dont know if it will make batteries last longer or not but thats what i have heard.

@Jhagra I think it depends on company too that they are making good batteries or not because I am using this Acer laptop for around 3 years and as I mentioned earlier I always use it with direct power, very few times on battery but it is still working great :)

I myself don't like the long cable to drag along wherever I use this laptop but the only thing make me doing it is the display problem, the screen becomes very dull with battery, when I switch from dark screen to bright screen I can see the screen getting sharp slowly slowly, but with direct power the screen turns sharp immediately, I can't see it.

Right click dektop, click Personalize > Screen saver > Change power Settings .> Change Plan settings in front of balanced or power saver whichever you selected > Change Advanced power settings..

now pick and choose your entire settings..on batery and on live.

@Farhan_ds - Thanks for the tip. I knew about that option but never paid much attention to it. I checked it after your reply, I had it set at "Balance" when using battery.

When I set it to "Maximum Performance" the screen becomes very sharp as it is on direct power :) Now I don't see that slow transition between dark and sharp screen switching.

So from now I will use it more and more on battery :)

Draining battries more often then actually needed is not a good idea. Every battery has a set number of cycles of charging and discharging it can take and this is true for lithium battries as well as other battries like lead acid ones too. For example a tubular battry that goes with the inverter has 1800-2200 cycles so no matter what you do this battrey wont last longer then that.

It is no use worrying about your battries. The more you use them the sooner they will die.

I too have heard that you need to discharge your battery completely, at least once a week. However, good practice would be to discharge it and then charge without using the laptop. Also never ever charge them on UPS no matter how good UPS you have. Same goes for generator however, I believe a 2+ kVA generator is safer option than UPS.

I have tried this practice for quite some time on my Lenovo laptop. 2 years and battery health still very good !

Hi, got a few tips for you. Hope it helps.

Keep it clean and shut it down at night.
Charge it till 100%. Now unplug your charger and use it till your battery discharges till 5%.This way you can save laptop's battery life.

Obviously when you use your laptop with charger pluged in, you will lose your battery timming due to over charging, better way is to use it on battery if it's battery is providing you a good backup timing.!

^You simply cannot overcharge a laptop battery. I highly doubt you have ever opened up a battery and know the inner working of the Li-Ion chemistry therefore your post doesnot hold any authenticity, That said,.

Li-Ions are more commonly paired with protection circuits which are designed to prevent overdischarge <2.75V , short circuit or high amp draw (commonly 6Amp in ICR and upto 30Amp in IMR/INR) AND overcharge >4.2V and the new panasonics (3400mah) NCR18650B can be charged uptop 4.35Amps and have their own second-generation Charging circuits.

The most common things to avoid are,

- Always follow a charging and discharging cycle , recommended minimum is 20% some also recommend 40% depending on personal preference (some people are just ocd about everything)

- Keep the battery charged to 60% or close , if you plan to store the laptop for weeks/months

- Never use a third party / Generic Power brick.

- System intensive tasks or Gaming/Watching movies on batteries on 100% volume and brightness will kill it faster than you think.

- Discharge the battery atleast once/twice a week if you always keep it on AC. and Avoid charging the laptop on desi-ups or generator. There is a high chance your charger , battery , laptop or one of the three suffers a failure.

These are just the ones on the top of my head if someone has more useful information to add please feel free to correct/update.

sjfgnharjgn

The newer laptops all come with lithium-ion batteries, these do not need to be drained often, and what @djayz said.

Ref: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

EDIT: No, keeping a lithium-ion battery plugged in will not overcharge the battery.