What is "PING"?

Ive been reading alot about ping issues at different topics, where customers are getting decent speeds but they're not satisfied with the ping.. So i had a question what is ping and how does it effect the overall internet service/speed..

Also, whats the point in testing speed through different servers?

Thanks

Ping is basically the time it takes for you a request to be made and a response to be received. For example, you ping my server and it responds; the time taken for this round trip is the ping time. Of course, the faster the better.

That is at least what I understand.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Thanks

[/quote]

You might not always get accurate speed test result from one server, given it’s location, network traffic, congestion etc. So doing it thru different servers gives a snapshot of the average speed a user seems to be getting on his end…

Ive been reading alot about ping issues at different topics, where customers are getting decent speeds but they’re not satisfied with the ping… So i had a question what is ping and how does it effect the overall internet service/speed…

Thanks

[/quote]

Remember Ping-Pong? It’s also commonly known as table-tennis. A white ball is pinged and ponged from one player to other player. First player send the ball (ping) and other player return back the ball (pong). That’s the same terminology used in computer networking.

Computer sends a small message to other computer over network, and the “other computer” return back the same message back to original computer. The difference of time between sending and receiving message (latency) is showed when you “ping” any computer. Higher latency means that it will create overhead (delay) when communicating with that computer.

For example:

1) Computer A starts stop-watch.

2) Computer A send “hello” to Computer B

3) Computer B send-back “hello” to Computer A

4) Computer A receive “hello” from Computer B

5) Computer A stops stop-watch.

6) Computer A calculate the time it took for message to rebound from Computer B and thus display the time to user.

I tried to explain in very easy language for non-tech people. Hopefully, you got some idea :)

Fe-Aman Allah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping

I tried to explain in very easy language for non-tech people. Hopefully, you got some idea :)
[/quote]

That’s a very good explanation! :D

[/quote]

Yes, no doubt good explanation.

I add further that even though one might get good downloading speeds (which happens when you start downloading a file and continuous connection is established between two computers), but if the pings are not good,i.e., prolonged, one will have delays every time (s)he clicks on a link or opens a new page while browsing, so despite having good bandwidth, one still ends up having pathetic browsing experience.

Very good explanation! Can you tell me which dsl providers give good pings here in Pakistan?

Very good explanation! Can you tell me which dsl providers give good pings here in Pakistan?
[/quote]

Simple

PTCL

Thanks alot guys!

Wampyr, sure there couldn't have been a better explanation for tech noobs :P

Ping is a computer network administration utility used to test the reachability of a host on an Internet Protocol (IP) network and to measure the round-trip time for messages sent from the originating host to a destination computer. in simple it is the amount of data packets sent and recieved per seconds. you can try this site Whoisxy.com to check your ping.

After all those gentle replies.

i would ask you guys to please enter more information.

like how to Ping our Internet connection or Ping a website.

Think it is done via command prompt or somthing.

How to speed test it.

what is good ping rate etc

(Sorry i am totally Blank when it comes to this PING thing)

Ping is used to test the time it takes to send and get a response for the request you made. When using ping on your computer, it will also display as a result the efficiency of the connection. In terms of the percentage that was sent and received to the amount that was lost.

It is important to settle the ping as it differs per service provider.