WHAT IS.....PING? (A guide for beginers) specially for gamers!

Before starting this might seem very basic to few and advance to some ...so please comment with some consideration! here I go...

PING is originated from word PING PONG! Means Send \ Return

Ping is a command to check the round trip times of a packet sent to a device! Which means A message sent to a person delays by ping/2

e.g if you are chatting on MSN and Your ping with other friend is 100 ms the time to reach your message would be 50 ms!

What is a natural delay?

Delay for what you can do nothing about it! This has only one reason i.e. Distance!

Islamabad to Lahore ping < Islamabad to Karachi ping

And Unnatural Delays?

Joints , more nodes (hops), Media change (protocol level), medium

Joints:

The more number of cable cuts by construction etc and re jointing plus any joints in your home cable etc includes a loss of around 1-9d db per joint

FYI fibere joint loss is .03db

HOPS:

comuter---computer (1 hop)

comp ---router----router-----DSLAM----router----router----router----honda.com (7 hops)

Media Change:

data in IP in TCP enclosed in G.DMT in PDH in SDH in DWDM out to SHH to PDH ....goes on

Medium:

copper, optical!

optical has 82% speed of light .....3x10^8m/s

copper has

How can these be reduced?

-getting a clean pair

-efficent routing and tunneling

-make a simpler IP network only!

-use optical line

-most dominating factor is distance which can be reduced by efficient routing but still the longer distances cant be reduced which u have to bare!

how can u check pings?

goto>run>cmd>ping abc.com or ping [iP] i.e xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

this will tell u few things...

round trip time(ms), amount of data send(bytes), TTL(time to live) in hops and if you type like google.com it will also tell u the IP of address by using

DNS(domain name servers)

fyi

you can type ping /? to see its help

how can you check the hops?

goto>run>cmd>tracert google.com or [iP] i.e xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

It will tell u pings of nodes one by one as in way from your side to the destination!

try to read the inner address names and a lot of info will be clear to you!

same as before

you can type tracert /? to see its help

If you have understood it all There is one thing more!

Why PTCL pings are less(good) then the others?

Because PTCL users don't have to shift on other network for getting internet and thus reducing number of hops , encryptions , protocol etc and thus faster response! For which actually i shifted from MBL to PTCL!

e.g. here is a tracrt to yahoo

C:\Documents and Settings\Qasim>tracert yahoo.com

Tracing route to yahoo.com [67.195.160.76]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

HOP 3 Pings for Avg. Hop IP\Name

1 13 ms 8 ms 1 ms 119.153.x.x (its my router)

2 1 ms 2 ms 1 ms 203.99.x.x (its the local gateway)

3 3 ms 2 ms 3 ms rwp44.pie.net.pk [221.120.253.9] (this is rwp PIE[Pak Internet Exch] node)

4 25 ms 25 ms 24 ms static-khi275-P02-pie.net.pk [221.120.254.6] (Karachi PIE)

5 24 ms 24 ms 24 ms static-khidr-ni01-sw.pie.net.pk [202.125.128.141] (Karachi PIE Exit NE)

6 24 ms 23 ms 24 ms rwp44.pie.net.pk [221.120.250.242] (rwp related trafic goes through this node in karachi)

7 57 ms 56 ms 56 ms pal9-pakistan-telecom-12.pal.seabone.net [195.22.198.101] (Pakistan's SEA-ME-WE3 node)

8 100 ms 102 ms 109 ms ash2-new11-racc1.new.seabone.net [195.22.216.225] (Far End Node)

9 238 ms 238 ms 238 ms g2-12-bas2.dce.yahoo.com [206.223.115.2] (Yahoo Servers)

10 238 ms 238 ms 237 ms xe-3-0-0.msr1.ac2.yahoo.com [216.115.108.131] (internal addresses)

11 238 ms 237 ms 238 ms xe-8-2-0.clr4.ac4.yahoo.com [76.13.0.107] (internal addresses)

12 238 ms 238 ms 237 ms te-8-1.bas-a1.ac4.yahoo.com [76.13.0.173] (internal addresses)

13 238 ms 238 ms 260 ms ir1.fp.vip.ac4.yahoo.com [67.195.160.76] (yahoo web server)

Trace complete.

Ive explained the hopes myself....and the ping diff comes from 7->8 as it goes international and has alot of mileage! Within Pak Its good!

So when a Nayatel\Micronet guys tries to connect international He has to first shift from dsl.net.pk servers to rwp44 and that thing gives the difference!

Sorry for relating micronet again and again! nothing personal but quoting it as I was their user once upon a time :D (Had good experience but then these delays forced me to shift.... )

So thats what you call PING :)

I guess I took a day or two to write this up ....but hope this pays off by clearing my lovely PEETCL brothers! I guess you wont find such a PING for dummies somewhere on internet!....

Any queries? Let it in....

Regards,

FireCruZ

omg wall of text crits! xD!

Well nice writeup. If someone still doesn't understand what firecruz wrote then in simpler words its like this higher the ping more delayed response you'll get for instance in online gaming if your ping is high you will lag in the game. So lower the better.

@StrikerX

Nice extra brief summary! :D

Just thought to teach few newbies:)

^

from where and using what connection did u performed this trace route ?

^ PTCL Official premises! thats Y I have hidden the addresses with x.x

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Why PTCL pings are less(good) then the others?

Because PTCL users don’t have to shift on other network for getting internet and thus reducing number of hops , encryptions , protocol etc and thus faster response! For which actually i shifted from MBL to PTCL!

[/quote]

how much delay are we talking here?

post comparative tracert of other ISPs…you don’t expect people just to take your word for it do you? especially considering you are not exactly the most neutral source :P

Very good article...

Thanks

can you explain what is pie.net.pk?

i think ***.pie.net.pk is name given to routes in Pakistan

Good info but you forgot to mention wireless internet has higher pings like Vfone/Evo, WC Wireless, GPRS/EDGE, WiMax from various companies will have higher pings than their wired counterparts.

^ PTCL Official premises! thats Y I have hidden the addresses with x.x
[/quote]

thats why ping are that low i guess…

anyways good article…

Very good article…

Thanks

can you explain what is pie.net.pk?

i think ***.pie.net.pk is name given to routes in Pakistan

[/quote]

PIE is Pakistan Internet Exchange installed in Karachi…controlling all internet traffic infact monitoring.!

Very Good Information..

@Firecruz

i am on a ONU line but still my pings are higher than my friends who are on copper lines....

Pinging cod4.dsl.net.pk [124.109.34.34] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 124.109.34.34: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=57

Reply from 124.109.34.34: bytes=32 time=62ms TTL=57

Reply from 124.109.34.34: bytes=32 time=62ms TTL=57

Reply from 124.109.34.34: bytes=32 time=63ms TTL=57

Reply from 124.109.34.34: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=57

my ping result to MBL COD4 Gaming server

while i used to get around 36ms on my old line which was copper, my friends are also gettin like 30-40ms ....while now i get 60+ on my new ONU line... pings to google.com or yahoo.com etc are also high as compared to copper one's.....

speed is perfect neva faced slow browsing issue etc always 115-118KB/Sec but pings sucks....and ofcourse multiplayer gaming too..!!

any idea whats wrong??

PING is originated from word PING PING! Means Send \ Return

[/quote]

iirc , it should be Ping / Pong , ICMP protocol request packet and ICMP response packet.

btw Nice writeup.

A nice write-up, I'd say.

Thank you, Firecruz! :)

13171296.png is this good ?

@firecruz: may be u should help our networking teacher too, his slides sux :P

^

tel him to join WP

:P

Assalm-o-Aleikum..

guys wana know smthing..

my ping command iz not wroking on my windows 7 cmd....

its show error of "not recognized as internal or external command,operable command or batch file"

so..?

talk about pings .... :

tracert.png

PS. nice topic .. mod. should move it to general section , sticky it , and lock it there .

@firestorm

you might say im not neutral! but the fact is I dont get people into PTCL and get paid or something! why would I say PTCL is best cuz my it was my family busniess ...lol! Im just an engr which will keep switching companies for sake of XP :) And With that k I always say that here speed is good, pings are good but customer care is worst! I do accept that whole heartedly so...keep me neutral :)

@Kashify

thanx bro

PIE = Pakistan Internet Exchange (owned by ur beloved PEETCL :P ) and actually its a delta of these nodes! Khi\LHR\ISB where the source point is Khi and backup(satlite) link in Isb!

@danish

thanx buddy!

@hashim

I wonder if have been getting 35ms ping from LAHORE to isb micronet servers o_O

and 62ms...not bad! Ive been playing CS\MOHA on over 140ms :) still owned!

I dont think there should be any problem with the new ONU line! and ask ur Lahori friends again if they get less than 60ms on dsl.net.pk!

@Riz

sory bro..I meant PING PONG...but a brain typo mistake :D...thanx for correction!

@Dr.Saab

Thanx for your usual support :)

@shahoo

yeah it says A :) so love it :) If it says 'B' then its a bit prob...if it say 'C' you got troubles! In pingtest.net results ping is not much counted in checking line quality but the jitter is important! should be less than 5ms

@yuronline :)

thanx for appriciation!

By the way I do diliver lectures in universities on any techno subject sometimes including some tit bits like what is JOB& how 2 give interviews etc :)

@1legend!

Yeah I know the ur prob! Youve got virus!.. :) And your internet would also sometimes hangup without any reason! its worm.Helkern!

Install kaspersky to remove it! and just to re-enable ping!

You might search to download a ping.exe and copy it to your system32 folder! for a better tool use fping, same as ping with few more features!

http://www.filebuzz.com/publisher/download.php?id=36187

@n@33m

thanx brother for valuing the little effort!

THANKS to ALL!