What is Contention (sharing) Ratio?

Guyz im using Maxcom since 1 yr. upgraded to from 512 to 768. they say "Home Packages offer a contention (sharing) ratio of 1:5". i am sharing my conn. with 3 pcs. now as ptcl and LDN are providing 1 mb for 3000 i m thinking to switch to one of them. but dont know what is the contention (sharing) ratio. if it is 1:1 can i share this conn. to 3 pcs. I am not understanding what is basically contention (sharing) ratio means!

conection sharing mean how many ppl are sharing the connection from the isps end

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contention_ratio

You shouldn't worry about it..

Wiredpakistan, knowledge at the click of a button, i remember its not been a long time since i asked the same question here.. Anyway

it means how many people is your isp gonna share your connection with, so far in karachi, Maxcom is offering the best contention ratio.. i.e 1:5 means 5 people would be sharing the same connection alongwith you..

Ratios are applied on unlimited or uncapped connection..

How does it effect?

You'll not get constant speeds most of the times, it gonna keep on fluctuating..

PS: Correct me if im wrong :)

look as i have 512 k conn i get 55-60 download speed on maxcom whoz conn ratio is 1:5 and the ratio of ptcl which i know is 1:1 but the download speed is same on 512. so my question is that which is gud 1:5 or 1:1 ratio? as both r giving same speedsn what its advantages n disadvantages!

Thnax!

Contention ratio wont hurt much until it goes as Superbad as 1:20 or 1:30 and so on

can u confirm the conn. ratio for Ptcl n LDN?

Contention ratio means that the ISP oversells the bandwidth available to it.

For example, if Maxcom is offering 1:5 contention ration, than it can sell 5 1mbps connections - but will only actually have 1mbps.

Given enough users, most of which are not using the internet much at any one time, this is a low enough ratio for decent speeds all around.

However, the contention ratio is a promise, not a guarantee made by the ISP - the reality could be anything. So I would not trust statements made by companies like PTCL...

once i connected 6 pcs to my conn n internet was running on all of them :D!

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

can u confirm the conn. ratio for Ptcl n LDN?
[/quote]

well LDN ration is 1:5 !

and if someone claiming that PTCL is giving 1:1 means dedicated line then i think he is lying :)

Nomi, could you please check your email?

Nomi, could you please check your email?
[/quote]

yes answered, u can chk reply :)

I've made a rather convoluted post about contention ratios and how it they could possibly affect you. Check it out here

It would be great if any of the technical resources from either LDN / PTCL or Maxcom could respond and correct any mistakes if there are any, in my post.

I personally think its a scam that these ISPs are pulling.

The contract is for 1Mbps or whatever and they are providing 1/4 speeds in actual.

I personally think its a scam that these ISPs are pulling.

The contract is for 1Mbps or whatever and they are providing 1/4 speeds in actual.

[/quote]

If contention ratio was 1:1, then cost of 1mbps would be a lot more than Rs. 10,000 and hardly anyone would be willing to pay that and PTCL 1mbps users will not see any noticeable improvement. Some ISPs offer 1:1 contention ratio but they are extremely expensive (1mbps for Rs. 41,650)

http://www.nayatel.com/data_premium.php

Ideally ISPs should keep increasing contention ratio until they reach or come very close to the point where peak demand is equal to the bandwidth that they have bought. This way during most days, everyone gets the full speed of their package and bandwidth that ISPs have bought isn’t wasted. ISP divide their total bandwidth in smaller groups (100mbps is shared between 400 1mbps users if contention ratio is 1:4, and you would start noticing slow speed only when at least ~100 users are downloading or streaming out of those 400 users) or (1gbps is shared between 2000 4mbps users with 1:8 contention ratio and you will notice speed issues when 250 of those users are downloading).

Contention ratio in double digits (1:20, 1:40, etc) were and still are common in most of Europe, Japan, Korea, USA, etc and ISPs there don’t blame regular slow speed on contention ratio. Contention ratio of 1:4 or similar are excellent, but in Pakistan most ISPs lie about it, when i was using LDN I used to get 60KBps (on 2mbps package) that is approx. 1/3rd of what i was supposed to be getting, if LDN had 1:4 contention ratio it would imply that 75% of their users were online and downloading or streaming at that time (every day for more than 10 hrs), which is impossible.